Syrian immigrants

Egbert

A fairly simple resolution, if we can take the emotion out of it, and stay with the law and logic. If you get a flood, you first seal the leaks, then you pump the water back; not widen the leaks. If a firm position had been adopted by the EU, before Merkel encouraged the current nonsense; this exodus would have ended; instead of becoming larger. The majority of these people are economic migrants, not driven through fear, but attracted by avarice. The PM at least has the sense to recognise this and make provision for the genuine refugees in the camps in Turkey and Jordan.

They came through Turkey, land of cheap knock off clothes etc.  Ray Ban copies are 5 Euros.  As for phones,  you do know that Syria is not a completely backward and neolithic nation , even though war is raging.  People there have phones, its not a crime.  Here is a link to an FT piece on the subject.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/09625b90-56fc-11e5-a28b-50226830d644.html#axzz3m76v9kKN

Well I have no idea what that link reported PJ as my first click wouldn't open it... my second click sort of did though and it said

"Thank you for visiting FT.com You qualify for a 25% subscription discount

Pay just £4.02 per week for access to the world's leading trusted

source of global business, finance and politics news.

• Full digital access: online, mobile & tablet
  • 5 year company financials archive
  • Unlimited FT.com article access"

I didn't bother trying again........

• Upvote 1

perhaps they use the solar powered phone charging equipment referred to in the first paragraph.  Didn't expect to have to spoon feed it to you sorry.

I am afraid i gleaned the same knowledge from your link as did Dizzy,& feel i must take a bow to your superior knowledge.

I must say,with you in this world why are scientists wasting time & money on artificial intelligence ? 

Thanks PJ the second link worked for me.  I wonder how they pay their phone bills or top up though.  The second link said

"You hear people saying: ‘Are they that desperate if they have a smartphone?’
There’s a sense that “if you have any extra kind of product you are not deserving in some way.” What they don’t realize is that many of these people are educated and were well off, back home,
in Syria for instance, but were forced out by a brutal war. As The New York Times notes, the use of technology on the run is largely driven by tens of thousands of middle-class Syrians"

If that is true and a lot are well off then if/when they do get to other countries and are taken in will they be able to trasfer any money they have in bank accounts back home to their ones in their new country
so they are living off their own means etc ?  

Just wondered that's all.....

Oh, so the Syrians have been waiting at the back of the queue, have they?! Most claim to be Syrians, as they discarded their passports and other ID (as seen on TV News); as they were given priority. This has been going on for years, and attention has moved to the Balkan Front, no mention of the hoards that have arrived through Italy and Spain, who are unlikely to be Syrian; just more economic opportunists. As for "wars"; Baz's map said it all; the legal requirement for genuine refugees is to seek asylum in the next nearest safe country. In the case of Syria, that means Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan; in the case of Afghanistan, India or Iran; as for any other wars you care to mention, just check your atlas. That would mean no genuine "refugees" would even be coming to Europe. Another point on "wars"; large numbers of these economic chancers are young men of military age; which poses the question: why aren't they in the Army fighting ISIS or the Taliban? Sid, give it time !

Coming to Europe does not make a refugee not genuine.  They are still refugees and they are seeking refuge.  The camps in Lebanon etc. are overcrowded beyond their capability to cope but none of that matters to you does it?  You are and have been for years the biggest xenophobe on the forum and your hatred for all folk foreign is beginning to become boring.

Which army are you suggesting they join then Observer?  Assad who is bombing them, ISIS who are butchering them? One of the other myriad groups fighting in Syria?   Not everyone is a soldier, the women and children wouldn't make very good troops either.

Women and children are less than 25% of this exodus, and if genuine refugees, would be staying safely, in the camps in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan. I would have thought, if they're not prepared to fight for Assad (the official Gov); they could join the Free Syrian Army; with the priority of getting rid of ISIS first. After all, they asked for this, remember the Arab Spring and the demos on the streets?

The Arab Spring revolution, had middle class liberals and Sunni opponents on the street demos; maybe they thought the Shia Gov of Assad would just cave in, in some kind of velvet revolution - it didn't happen, and now they're reaping the whirlwind. But the clear priority now, is for all to concentrate on eliminating ISIS; following which, we can start talking about a political solution. As for the genuine refugees in the camps, I would be the first to support proper funding of those camps through UN aid; which is what the PM is trying to do. As for the exodus of economic migrants, a return flight is all that's required - sorted.

So who blamed Europe? How do you arrive at the 0.72% figure?

Media did with headlights like Europes Shame

Well we are read something like 350,000 refugees have got through to Europe although this morning I read it is  it is more like 420,000 now and 2750 have reportedly died on the crossing which is 0.79% (sorry I did a typo) unless my maths is wrong.

The news programs keep telling us that the people marching through Europe now are highly educated engineers, programmers, doctors, if this is the case why can they not just apply for work and get into the country of their desire on work permits.

It is reported Germany opened its boarders because of a people shortage, but should Germany not have an obligation to the countries and people of Europe. There are many unemployed in Spain, Portugal, Greece. Now having encouraged the migrants/refugees or whatever you call them  Germany is threatening its neighbours with sanctions.

If they wanted Muslims  there is a large number of unemployed muslims in many countries.