The survey says......

Nick Tessla

Like it or loathe it Primark give it's customers what they want ...attractive , stylish throw away clothing  that is ideal for partying the weekend away with. I know it has many critics but so does Aldi ,many of whose customers turn up there with M&S carrier bags because they wouldn't be seen dead with Aldi ones.

What we should be ashamed of is the fact that Warrington attracts the likes of Primark and (would you believe it) yet another Pound Shop which is to arrive in Sankey Street soon. That means we will have three!  It's not that there is anything wrong with having bargain shops - it's that Warrington, despite all the "boom town" hype is perceived elsewhere as a downmarket town. We don't get many quality shops coming here - and those that do usually disappear after a while.  Waitrose put their toe in the water by moving in with Boots - but they moved out again pretty quickly!  And we haven't got a John Lewis. 

What we should be ashamed of is the fact that Warrington attracts the likes of Primark and (would you believe it) yet another Pound Shop which is to arrive in Sankey Street soon. That means we will have three!  It's not that there is anything wrong with having bargain shops - it's that Warrington, despite all the "boom town" hype is perceived elsewhere as a downmarket town. We don't get many quality shops coming here - and those that do usually disappear after a while.  Waitrose put their toe in the water by moving in with Boots - but they moved out again pretty quickly!  And we haven't got a John Lewis. 

On the other hand, a lot of younger people will see the opening of Primark as a jaw dropping boost to the credibility of Warrington as a shopping centre & every shopper has a choice not to shop there .

Baz

I think you are missing the point.  Bewsey, Dallam and Orford ARE catered for. Lymm, Appleton, Winwick, etc (which are not actually as upmarket as everyone seems to think!) are not. As a consequence, the residents of those areas largely shop elsewhere.

Baz

I think you are missing the point.  Bewsey, Dallam and Orford ARE catered for. Lymm, Appleton, Winwick, etc (which are not actually as upmarket as everyone seems to think!) are not. As a consequence, the residents of those areas largely shop elsewhere.

Don't they go to the Pound Shops?

Wow I'm impressed, you copied my avatar, and your images are usually so original too, I'm flattered. :mrgreen:

I think you will find I was using that avatar about a week prior to you adopting it PJ  (without the Pre Menstrual Stress Level abreviation though) and then decided to switch back to me' owd' pint pot. Regarding the image I thought you may like to be Sancho Panza to my Don Quixote. :lol:

Interesting news from Dakar in relation to this topic.

Headline news Dakar Daily Bugle: Primark to open new shop in warrington. This is great news for the people of Dakar Now we will have a reason to go and do our shopping there. Hundreds of choice items at knock down prices and really fashionable dessert wear.

Interesting news from Dakar in relation to this topic.

That would be Dhaka in Bangladesh then Obs? Dakar is in Senegal on a completely different continent.

I assume you are suggesting that Primark are responsible for Bangladesh having questionable building regulations/inspections?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm suggesting that cheap goods, require cheap wages and conditions.

Cheap wages and conditions by western standards but you tend to ignore the fact that the cost of living is much lower than in western countries. I mean you get the same goods that you can get in the west for at least a fifth you are paying for them in the west. Electrical goods, cheaper, furniture, cheaper, food cheaper, cigarettes - well you just wouldn't believe how much cheaper they are, electric cheaper, gas cheaper, petrol cheaper.