Olympic torch

wolfie

OK so I was really looking forward to it until now as I'm suddenly confused :unsure:

Where did you get those times from Peter as according to the 'official' details the flame convoy comes down Sankey Way at just before 1pm tomorrow then the actual runners relay starts from near the Pink Eye roundabout at 12.59

It's then supposed to pass the Town Hall, up Horsemarket Street, Winwick Street then a 15 minute stop at Tesco and up Winwick Road to the new Orford Park 'Jubilee' building next to Warrington Collegiate.

Talk about confusing as people are all saying different now although it seems it is definatly a rolling road block so should be no probelm on traffic flow depending on how slow the runners run :lol::unsure:

Anyway... here's the actual official route (according to WBC website etc)

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/content_documents/Documents/Communications/olympic_torch_relay_map.pdf

It had better be right as I've said I'll put bunting and flags up tomorrow morning around 'work' (I hate ladders so they might not be very high) and I reconned I could get them done by 11am which gave me time to get across town to drop our lad off at college then back again well before the start of the runners relay from the Pink Eye Roundabout so I could enjoy all the fun.

I'll be blummin' annoyed if it's now starting from somewhere else or at a different time especially as I've had to face the wrath of my loft and cobwebs tonight to retrieve my flags and bunting which have been up there for 10 years especially if it turns out I'm too late tomorrow due to the confusions :unsure::evil:

My bubble of enthusiasm seems to have suddenly burst :(

I saw it on telly too and I don't know what all the fuss is about. It doesn't look as exciting as people are trying to make it. And is it still the original flame from the start or has it had to be relit a few times? Bah Humbug, if you ask me. Will be glad when it's all over and, instead of the flame, everyone is talking about the silver medal Britain managed to win.

Have you got a light boy? Have you got a light?

Extracted from a report on the other site yesterday -

Eleven other runners will also take to the streets on the day, with the torch due to arrive in town just before 1pm.

It will make its way through the town centre before a stop at Tesco at 1.15pm.

It will continue 15 minutes later to Orford Park where the convoy will stop for lunch.

It will make another short stop at BT in Gemini at around 2.45pm before leaving to Wigan.

It will Come from Rainhill to the skittles in the town centre.

I've heard the stop a Tesco is to buy a can of lighter fuel to refill the torch. Re. Runcorn Bridge ,it could only happen in Britain that they would shut one of the country's busiest & worst bottlenecks for the sake of the torch.I am a more sedate way would have been a motor launch across the Mersey.

Re. Runcorn Bridge ,it could only happen in Britain that they would shut one of the country's busiest & worst bottlenecks for the sake of the torch.I am a more sedate way would have been a motor launch across the Mersey.

What's wrong with the footpath? If it's safe enough for pedestrians. !!! :roll: :roll:

What's wrong with the footpath? If it's safe enough for pedestrians. !!! :roll: :roll:

Durh :lol: If the torch carriers and special grey runners who acompany them ran on the pavements where would the spectators stand :wink::P

Well I went and spectated..... I was at the Macdonalds on Winwick Road..... Lovely view!!

Stood there for half an hour saw about 20 police motorbikes, half a dozen X5's containing 3 cops in each plus a few vans and cars for good measure; all to see a bloke with more than just a passing resemblance to Alan Carr, run past at a sprint.... so much so, I have a photoof the back of his head!! :D

Well I went and spectated..... I was at the Macdonalds on Winwick Road..... Lovely view!!

Stood there for half an hour saw about 20 police motorbikes, half a dozen X5's containing 3 cops in each plus a few vans and cars for good measure; all to see a bloke with more than just a passing resemblance to Alan Carr, run past at a sprint.... so much so, I have a photoof the back of his head!! :D

All Met Police as well- saved us a fortune I guess??

Not sure what a 'photoof' is ... but from your description I guess it's a modern term fot a really bad photo that you are disappointed with. I’ve got loads of those too from today :wink::blink:

We watched it from outside work at the start near Crossfield’s Island, you should have come there Baz as Mike would have made you a cup of tea and given you a flag to wave :lol:(although despite the torch arriving early the actual set off was delayed due of a blummin' traffic jam ).

It was a bit of a cock up there for a while and people lining the streets just past the island where I finally stood were having a right old moan cos after they let the sponsorship convoy through, which got everyone’s spirits up and they thought the torch was coming, they then let the normal traffic though again which blocked the whole road and it was at stand still for ages.

Poor number 69 runner was just left wondering and waiting next to the island for a while until they 'sorted' it and people watching thought they must have missed the torch until word spread along the line that he was still at the start.

Number 69 then set off but had to run alongside the traffic jam while spectators rushed between the static cars in the jam to try and get a view :roll:

I did at least manage to get some pics though despite a very wet camera that kept steaming up because of being switched on and off in anticipation and going in and out of my pocket all the time as we all waited.

I’ll upload some tomorrow as photobucket wont play tonight... it's probably had enough for one day too :lol::roll:

I still can't get my damn photobucket account to work so I can upload my Olympic Torch Warrington Relay pictures onto here which we took at the start near Crossfields Island/Liverpool Road yesterday (showing torchbearers no's. 69 and 70 and sponsorship convoy etc) :(:(

I've put them on works website though so here's a temporary link as I know Algy and Cleo always like looking at pics. They are lower resolution than if they were on here though and I'll be removing the link the minute I get my photobucket account sorted.

Olympic Torch Relay Warrington - PICTURES HERE, Crossfields Island/Liverpool Road

PS Gary... if you want any of the higher quality origs for your Warr WW photo gallery let me know :wink:

• Upvote 1

I still can't get my damn photobucket account to work so I can upload my Olympic Torch Warrington Relay pictures onto here which we took at the start near Crossfields Island/Liverpool Road yesterday (showing torchbearers no's. 69 and 70 and sponsorship convoy etc) :(:(

I've put them on works website though so here's a temporary link as I know Algy and Cleo always like looking at pics. They are lower resolution than if they were on here though and I'll be removing the link the minute I get my photobucket account sorted.

Olympic Torch Relay Warrington - PICTURES, Crossfields Island/Liverpool Road

PS Gary... if you want any of the higher quality origs for your Warr WW photo gallery let me know :wink:

Have you gt a light boy? Have you got a light?

• Downvote 1