Important Warning

Bill

Please be aware that recent changes to the traffic light system on the junction of the A57 Manchester Road and Newcut Lane at Woolston has created a major road safety issue. Vehicles turning right into Newcut Lane need to be aware that a high percentage of drivers are mistaking the filter lights and thus passing through the lights at speed during the red phase.

This failing is being reported but in the mean time, drivers should take extreme caution when crossing this junction.

Bill

Well Gary, I think you can see what's going to happen here. They're are going to claim its the drivers fault for not paying enough attention or that people have always "jumped" red lights but neither of these are the case. I've used this junction now several times a day for the past 15 years and never had any problems. Now after they've tinkered with the layout I've come inches away from serious smashes five times and other people are saying the same. Tonight's near miss was left me shaking it was so close and bloody angry that someone has been paid to create something as dangerous as this.

I'm putting the council and its planners on notice that unless something is done urgently to rectify this situation that I will do everything in my power to publicly discredit them and raise awareness of their incompetence and Gary you know that when I say something like this I mean it. They've made a big mistake and need to rectify quickly before we have serious injury or death and you Gary and the other media don't need to wait to see what happens, just help get this message across now!

Thanks in anticipation.

Bill :)

Does anyone know why they decided to mess with the layouts?

They done it on Hilden Island too, although the layout is not dangerous what was wrong with the previous layout and why they decided to spend money on it is beyond me.

Is there not a Ombudsman we could all complain to or maybe someone should draft a letter to our MPs we could all print and sign.

I?m not particularly bothered why they wanted to change it or how much it cost, my main concern is that I?ve had five near misses now in just a couple of weeks and any one of these could have seen me off. I?m no fool and not prone to exaggerating situations but so many near misses in such a short period of time scares the pants off me because at this rate my luck might just not hold out.

I don?t know the reason why this is happening, that?s for the planners to find out but I think it?s something to do with the removal of the right turn lane. In the past it was easy to identify the right turn lights from the straight on set because it had it?s own lights separated by a pedestrian island. The removal of the filter lane island makes the road look like its three lanes wide and cars approaching the junction just see a green light and don?t stop.

It wouldn?t take much to see what?s happening here because if it ?s happened to me so many times in such a short period of time then theoretically it should be an easy matter to just to stand there and wait for it to happen again. It can't possibly just be me!!!!!

Bill said I'm putting the council and its planners on notice that unless something is done urgently to rectify this situation that I will do everything in my power to publicly discredit them and raise awareness of their incompetence

DO IT ANYWAY , Bill.

The council officers responsible are incompetent arrogant useless nobodies who do not care about roads and safety.

It is time they and their managers were dismissed as the so called enhancements they have introduced in the last twelve months have only made travel more dangerous throughout Warrington.

Go for it.

Sounds very dangerous indeed Bill from what you have said.

Maybe worth you contacting the police too and complaining to them as if it's that dangerous they should take action with the council too.

Maybe you could push the council to temporarily blank out the filter lights while they look into the complaint and dangers? Would that be any better and is it possible as I don't really know the lights/road layout round there ?

The initial response as expected was ?well you just have to be careful? pity I didn?t take bets on that one as well! :lol:

Cutting a long story short, one of the planners ended up coming out to meet me at the lights. He eventually accepted that just one red stop light at the junction wasn?t the best especially when the only other light there was showing green.

This situation though will remain like this until at least next Tuesday when the entire system of lights will change. This will then give red lights on both sides of the road rather than the one red and one green that's causing the problems.

Until then, they say there's nothing much they they can do. There are signs up but it's still right turn onto Newcut Lane at your peril.

As I said The council officers responsible are incompetent .. these guys are supposed to be university educated competent traffic "managers".

Actually,They have little common sense and arrogantly believe they know everything about how to mess up traffic.

There are numerous places where traffic lights create congestion, where road markings are plain stupid and where the actual road design is dangerous, yet nobody seems to be sacked, but the extra cost of fixing the mess is picked up by the council tax payers. This money could be better used to provide pothole free roads for example.by resurfacing rather than patching and tarmac gritting.

About time this stopped and some better "engineers " are employed.

Well done Bill..... :D and maybe you could stick your own warning signs up for the next 7 days :wink:

Rather suprised that you got one of the planners to meet you so quickly though.. but then again it is election day tomorrow and they are getting a bit of bad press at the moment :wink:

Well done Bill..... :D and maybe you could stick your own warning signs up for the next 7 days :wink:

Rather suprised that you got one of the planners to meet you so quickly though.. but then again it is election day tomorrow and they are getting a bit of bad press at the moment :wink:

Bill is well known in the corridors of power and they all read this forum! :wink:

I thought about putting up a sign myself but having told the authorities if they don?t think its important, well what do I do?

I?ve done my best to notify both the people responsible and the local media but neither seems to be listening or particularly bothered and I don?t want to look like someone on a personal crusade.

BTW it happened to me yet again last night, (SIX times now in three weeks)

Maybe we should turn this into a big joke about the council having a contract out on me. That?s just about the level for some people here.

Bill

Awww you're not that bad Bill :lol::lol:

Is there any way you could sit there and try and get photo or video evidence to back up your claim of light jumpers and near misses Bill as they seem to happen when you are around :wink:

You'd have to be pretty quick pressing the camera button though I guess :oops:

Surely other people must have noticed and reported it too...saying that many just moan about things and wait for someone else to do something rather than taking any action themselves eh.

That?s exactly what my wife said Dizz, ?Don?t get involved, let someone else complain.? But I did so of course I?m the only one with the problem! Fact is I use this junction several times a day so I?m far more likely to experience the problem than anyone else.

But Dizz, just like the planners, your missing the point. I shouldn?t need to prove this. Statistically the numbers are irrefutable, no issues in fifteen years, then six in the last three weeks. Now you either have to not believe what I say or have absolutely no understanding of probability theory. In any case Dizz, what would it prove? If I stood there all day and recorded 83 cars going through the red lights what would the planners say? I know the answer to that because I?ve just met them again this morning.

Their attitude is that if people choose to drive through red lights then it?s not the planner?s fault. Understandably, their attitude is somewhat standbackish. They?ve done everything by the book so the last thing they want is someone like me complaining.

Hey Bill why dont you just avoid the said junction and find an alternative route.

Only a complete plonker would carry on putting their lives at risk in this way.

Maybe you have a sub conscious death wish going on :lol:

Blummin' heck Bill don't take their failings out on me I was only trying to be helpfull as I know how hard it is to make them see sense and admit they may have got something wrong :shock::roll::lol:

So you see I'm not like the planners :evil: and I'm not missing the point at all .... and yes I do believe you and yes I also have a good understanding of probability theory so please don't have a go at me :P:lol:

Maybe you should go door knocking and speak to some of the other residents or businesses around there and get them to complain too as no disrespect but they are more likely to listen if it's not just you on your own.

PS if you stood there all day and recorded 83 cars going through the red lights I'm sure the police would be very interested in the cause of your findings.... the 'planners' would have to act then although you have already said that they will be changing the lights next Tuesday so at least they will be doing something.

CP if you can find an alternate way of getting into Newcut Lane I'd be pleased to hear about it. While you?re at it, see if you could get the council to pay my wages and that of all my staff and I?ll certainly avoid this junction! And you call me a plonker!

Bottom line is I don?t really care what people like you think. I know about it, so I?m taking care of myself, my family and my work colleagues. If others just want to poke fun then be my guest or go get a job in the planning department of the council if you don?t already work there. You seem arrogant and stupid enough.

I?ve done my best to notify both the people responsible and the local media but neither seems to be listening or particularly bothered and I don?t want to look like someone on a personal crusade.

Bill

Bill I offered to get involved and you seemed to be making progress - if you want us to take the council to task on this you need to flag it up properly with at least an email - at the end of the day it has got pretty good publicity on here roll: