Council iPads?

Sue Durnim

Those clever people at the council have decided to get up-to-date and join the 21st century by getting themselves

the latest high end spec iPad, that does everything except make the tea, not yet anyway?

As good as the Ipad is, there must be alternatives and at a cost effective price. I have no doubt that the people in IT and Finance have got together to find the best possible deal and being a government organisation at a VAT free price?

Reading the news article and between the lines, it seems all they want to do is access the web/word doc?s and pdf?s to save on print costs.

Below I have found some alternatives and where possible an approximate cost, by doing a little research I could save the council some cash?

However if people/councillors at the council already have laptops/PCs at home then why are they in need of a iPad/PC Tablet?

1. iPad (with wifi/wifi+3g: ?429 - ?699

2. Amazon Kindle: ?111

3. HP Slate: ?500

4. Dell 7-inch Tablet: ?400

5. Viewsonic ViewPad: ?350

6. Archos70 Internet Tablet: ?300

7. Toshiba Folio: ?370/?449

8. HP PalmPad: ?499

9. RIM BlackBerry PlayBook

10. Samsung Galaxy Tab: ?499

11. Sony Dash Viewer: ?120

12. Lenovo IdeaPad U1 hybrid: ?610

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted earlier on the news page with my initial thoughts..

"I don't particularly agree with them spending ?14k of OUR money on iPads when they also get pc's, mobiles, broadband etc and I would like to know exactly what is invovled with, and why they need, an additional ?1700 service charge on top of that.

I know people with iPads and they don't pay to have them serviced :?

I can see how an iPad would be useful as they are used as 'book readers' so councillors could all sit around in their meetings reading and referring to the documents they are discussing via their pads.

BUT they could also do the same using their laptops (which I presume they all have).

Wise One [someone else who commented but in favour].... Have you got an iPad :) I don't rate them and they are merely a gimmicky 'toy', and not half as powerful or as usefull as a laptop and the latter cost half the price ! :)

Bet the councillors kids/grandkids like playing with their new toy though !"

.....since posting that I have some more thoughts.....

... now for my next thoughts (but based on the fact that having seen an iPad I don't rate them for much other than being gimmicky and for 'playing' with Apps.)

Reported Cons......

No USB ports, therefore forget using things like pen drives to access/transfer/backup/share files and info

You can't multitasking in an iPad ie you can?t run two applications at the same . (can councillors do this though anyway :wink::lol: )

No 'drag and drop' file management

The ipads battery is built and not replacable so if it conks out your iPad is useless

No camera therefore no things like Skype which could be useful if you wanted to talk 'face to face' when you are on the go or unable to attend meetings

'Flash' not supported

No printing from an iPad... ah ha that's why they got them though :D There is a way around the printing problem though :lol:

printfromipad.jpg

I'm sure they are fun though and you can get some good Apps/games on them and great for facebook I believe :wink:

So you recon they will be able to use a touch screen iPad then and easily access all their info, emails, reports etc with it :shock::lol:

Wonder how much the training sessions will cost... :shock:

I could name a few who definately wont survive the stress of the upgrade in technology :wink:

you can get a decent refurbished laptop for less than ?300.00 with wifi dvd rewriter and all the usual ports for plugging bits and bobs in.

as for minutes i used to do minutes for various meetings and only ever printed out three hard copies. one for me to proof read and one each for one of my colleagues to proof read as a check.

once done each member received it as an attachment to an email with a read receipt so that i knew when they had opened the email and so they had no excuse by saying they had not received it.

... now for my next thoughts (but based on the fact that having seen an iPad I don't rate them for much other than being gimmicky and for 'playing' with Apps.)

Dizzy, you may have already seen the specification...

Personally, if I could afford one, I would buy one.

I think the people at the council should go for the cheaper option iPad, as it it just as good at ?429 approx.

Wi-Fi model

Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi + 3G model

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Data only2

Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Dock Connector to USB Cable

10W USB Power Adapter

Input and output

Dock connector port

3.5-mm stereo headphone jack

Built-in speaker

Microphone

Micro-SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

Battery and power

Built-in 25-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using 3G data network

Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

Capacity

16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive

Mail attachment support

Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

More details from:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

you can get a decent refurbished laptop for less than ?300.00 with wifi dvd rewriter and all the usual ports for plugging bits and bobs in.

as for minutes i used to do minutes for various meetings and only ever printed out three hard copies. one for me to proof read and one each for one of my colleagues to proof read as a check.

once done each member received it as an attachment to an email with a read receipt so that i knew when they had opened the email and so they had no excuse by saying they had not received it.

doesn't even need to be a refurbished one as you can get a really good new one for that too.

Tesco have netbooks for ?219.00 loaded with all sorts of usefull software.... I quite like the look of netbooks as they seem really portable due to the size etc although I've never actually used one.

Anyway.. maybe we are being a bit premature in questioning the spending and reasons behine it all as obviously Mr Farrall and Co will have thoroughly looked into the capabilities ans suitability of the iPad assiciated costs vs savings to be made etc... based on whatever strangely derived figures they were basing it all on :wink:

Dizzy, you may have already seen the specification...

Personally, if I could afford one, I would buy one.

I think the people at the council should go for the cheaper option iPad, as it it just as good at ?429 approx. ....................

Nice cut and paste SD (I obviously didn't quote the whole post :wink: )

... but if that was supposed to impress me and convert me to the wonderful world of iPads it didn't work. Hardly impressive spec at all infact even worse than I thought for the hefty price tag and so many limitations and as with all Apple gadgets you probably have to use Apple's costly accessories. No loading any other software on it either I guess :wink:

I definately wont be rushing out to buy one after seeing that and now I see why my son didn't ask for one either... phew :shock::lol:

It's just a big iPod touch with a couple of extra bits of nonsense thrown in for good measure :lol:

Think hard and research more before you save up for one SD :wink:

Anyway.. maybe we are being a bit premature in questioning the spending and reasons behine it all as obviously Mr Farrall and Co will have thoroughly looked into the capabilities ans suitability of the iPad assiciated costs vs savings to be made etc... based on whatever strangely derived figures they were basing it all on :wink:

You jest. You should see the money they waste on stationery. They stick with a supplier(allegedly the best tender prob. on a long contract) yet never shop around for cheaper deals.

So if they follow normal procedure they /us will be getting ripped off especially with the service contract. :shock:

Probably :wink: Yes Peter.. I was 'jesting' I've seen council figures and costs and how they are manipulated to suit on many occasions 'allegidely of course' and also how the 'best deal' is not necessarily the 'best' or 'cost effective' one (allegidely again) :wink:

This is quite a big joke for me really, and not a funny one at that.

IMPACT was given one of these Ipads to use during its meetings, to which me and a few others were against ever since we got the pathetic thing, because;

1) As young people, you can't help but want to play with it.

2) With access to the internet, the first reason is just emphasised.

3) There was never any clarification on where from and why they had suddenly appeared and at what cost....

Me and another member of IMPACT requested that the Ipad should not be brought to the meetings, as its only use was as a distraction and the only actual benefit it had was that we could watch our promotional video that had just been finished.

When I questioned how this Ipad had suddenly come into our hands, I was told "the Council might have been given them for free, as a trial use." And then I was told "the Council may have bought these at a reduced rate." And then it was simply "we don't know..."

But now we do know...

Intersting Tom :shock::wink:

As someone who has actually used one of their iPads would you say that they will be of any more use to the councillors for work related things than say a laptop/pc notebook/or other reader ?

Like I say I've never used one but know people who have them (many of who are business people) but they all use their iPads for play and personal relaxation and their laptops etc for work :?

Funny how none of the youngsters I know rate iPads as 'top' either now or even want one but I guess many of them have posh mobiles, laptops/pc's for homework/study and ipod touch type toys for play.

Ah well, I guess the council just wanted to be trendy without realising that the trend has moved on to better things :lol::wink:

Ooooh I forgot... I asked this under the news article yesterday but none of the posters (councillors?) supporting the purchase replied.

Out of interest and trying to understand WHY Mr Farrell and others have come to their cost saving conclusion and also the need for using iPads rather than cheaper notebooks etc..

QUESTIONS....Are these 24 iPads shared between ALL councillors or are they allocated to individual councillors for their sole use?

If it's individual can we have a list of who exactly has been given them and why ?

Is there an additional monthy charge for using them to access documents/emails/other via the internet or do they connect through wireless connection etc to existing 'already paid for' broadband services ?

Well as IMPACT never actually used it for any minute taking or preparing documents (we mostly just left the Ipad at the end of the table and just wrote our notes down on paper) I'm not too sure how great they are.

From having a look at it the first time we got it, I found it mostly to be useful for just internet searching. So I guess for emails, it's useful but I would generally say the only benefit to it, is its size.

However considering the ?50million of spending they have to save, I would not see them as financially beneficial.

As for who got them, I know that Head Directors and assistant Managers have them. I'm not sure if actual Councillors have them, but it could be a possibility, maybe the executive committee?

As for the whole costings, I was told they might have got them for free or paid half price...So I'm as much in the dark as everyone else.

I presume you can read and edit word documents on them, as one of its standard applications is Notepad. And I presume you can get other Apps which resemble Microsoft word, publisher, excel etc.

As for their reasons of purchase, all Services from my knowledge, are having mass amounts of new technology bought in. Now a lot of workers who I've spoken to are saying is making their job much harder to complete and often fails and breaks down on them.

Now it might be that the Services are spending the money they have been allocated now, in the fear of getting less next term because it might look as though they don't need that amount of money if they didn't spend it in the last term.

Or it could be that 'the boys are indeed buying new toys', but there are a lot of women Councillors, directors and managers too.

(just to take away the sense of sexism) :wink:

Personally, I doubt its the second presumption, only because the first has more logic and Services might be buying into the new equipment under the impression that it will have a positive effect on efficiency within their Service over a period of time.

Considering its now all been bought though, lets hope it does.

Otherwise we'll have to hope they kept the receipts :wink: