Modern Policing.... more violent than Life on Mars!!!

Bazj

Take a look at the video on this page of sky news.

It is a scary piece of footage and shows that Police Officers are getting more violent and uncaring in their attitudes to the public, especially old people (remember the car driver that was attacked in his Land Rover), the woman attacked by officer Smelly and now this.....

A woman arrested whilst asleep in her car and refusing to give a breathalyser test gets battered by the thug copper; who happens to be a Sergent too, not just a constable....

I'd give him 10 years for assault and abuse of public office.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Cop-Cell-Attack-On-CCTV-Policeman-Mark-Andrews-Faces-Sack-After-Throwing-Woman-Into-Wiltshire-Cell/Article/201009115714725?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15714725_Cop%2C_Cell_Attack_On_CCTV%3A_Policeman_Mark_Andrews_Faces_Sack_After_Throwing_Woman_Into_Wiltshire_Cell

Maybe watch the fuller footage of the video and the clock :? No idea why the sound goes off though :? It happened two years ago too :?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/sep/05/police-sergeant-suspended-assault-woman

Not condoning what he 'allegidely' did in the slightest but footage starts at 10.19 where she is told to 'shut up, be quiet, and he? will find out why she's there'

15 mins later she is marched off after looking a bit agitated?

20 mins later she is back again in the background 'talking' to officers?

At this point she is marched off again... well dragged off after falling over in a heap on the floor and then thrown into a cell ?

Strikes me that she may well have been absolutely bladdered 'allegidly' of course :roll::wink:

Two sides to every story and all that :?

Abusive drunks used to just get a good kicking in the back of a black maria.

Saved on police time, cell space and made the magistrates courts much less busy. More effective than a mickey mouse community sentence too.

If someone is repeatedly abusive to me they'd best expect me to respond. If they're STUPID enough to be repeatedly abusive to a police officer then I'm not even going to try to work up any sympathy for them.

• 2 weeks later...

There are far too many people around these days (particularly on this forum) ready to knock the police for anything. Of course, there are always going to be police officers who let the force down, they are only human, after all. But in the main they are OK.

As for Life on Mars, that programme gives a completely false impression of what the police were like in those days. I was there, I knew plenty of police officers and a lot about what they got up to. And I think they were mainly OK then. It is the people they have to deal with who have got worse - not the police

With you 90% of the way on that Egbert, particularly the last line.

however I don't think the individual policeman is as caring as in the old days, being a product of society as it has now evolved.

Possible a silly thing to say, but I wonder if the lowering (abolishing?) of the height restriction has anything to do with it, if only marginally.

In my day, the bigger you were the less likely you were to get hassle. Smaller people generally had to assert themselves more.

Happy days

Nostalgia maybe; but I recall a time when our streets were patrolled (on foot) by 6ft coppers, dispensing instant justice as they went - any lip from a would be yob, could receive a clip round the ear or a clout from a cloak on the back of the legs - ouch! And no running home to tell Mum and Dad, cos they would give you the same. No endless partnerships talking and talking, no ASBO beaurocracy and court attendances, no endless writing up police reports to tick the boxes set by politicians and to provide them with the stats the want, rather than sorting out the reality on the ground. Have we really progressed? :?

Some good replys there.

The people running the show clearly think progress is being made, but they would say that wouldn?t they. It?s only when age allows you the wider perspective that the real picture becomes clear. The young blame the police and the police blame society especially the young and unemployed but for me, the finger of blame points to the liberal ?decision-makers? of the seventies.

I think there?s strong parallels with religion where people where once taught the basic rules of life at an early age and become ?God fearing?. Be a bad person and you won?t go to heaven, be really bad and you?ll go to hell and don?t think you can get away with it because God sees everything much better than CCTV.

I say make people scared of the law and the threat of reprisals and we?ll have a more lawful society. We don?t have to return to hanging people or cutting their hands off but we do need to remove the image of the law as a wet nurse that we can poke fun at.

Bill :)

Perhaps advertising has something to do with it, We should manage peoples expectations a little better, As with people getting mugged for their mobile phone, If the kids have not got the latest model other kids look down on them. Are society today is completely different from the one in the seventies. I grew up with a respect for the Police, but my respect for them is diminished mainly due to the traffic Police, who have forgotten at the end of the day that they are public servants, they do not treat me with any respect so they receive non from me. And when they pull you over their only intent is to see how much money they can get off you. Another example from when I was growing up is I once got stopped for having no lights on my bike, the policeman let my tyres down on my bike so I had to walk home, these days you would be stopped and fined.

I'd suggest, that aside from the liberal attitudes that have permeated every facet of society to breed a culture of disrespect for authority and institutions, from parents to teachers etc; we have a Police Service trying to be the Jack of all trades and becoming the master of none. EG: We have "County" Police Forces paid for by local rates in part, administered by a collection of appointed local Councillors, Magistrates and Worthies, who have no "operational" control over their Chief Constables; who in turn are "guided" by an Home Office Inspectorate, which is in turn steered politically by succesive Governments interested in the illusion of success through stats, rather than the reality of success through actually tackling crime in all it's various forms. Our current Police Services cover everything from the anti-terror activities of the Met (itself a London Police Service), through Regional Crime Squads down to managing Town Centres on a week-end night to chasing chav yobs round Council Estates. I would suggest this evolved make do and mend scenario, requires a massive re-organsisation and re-stratification, to produce local, regional and National Police Services tailored to task, similar to the US system. :?

Kije's response is symtomatic of why we're in this mess: the Police have taken on this mantle of liking to be liked, of policing by consent. The reality is, the same PC can't be holding a baby in some community domestic dispute one minute and the next, baton charging a crowd of demonstrators. Some jobs require trust and involvement, other require fear or respect; asking the same people to do both merely produces organisational schizophrenia. :roll:

my disrespect for the police is due to the noddies who now are chief constables and who are only interested in political matters. also the use of friends who have retired on a big fat pension being given work by acpo eg speed awareness courses which are a nice little earner for some legal crooksr

I got done for two on a bike and no lights when I was a kid..... the panda car swerved across the road to slam on in front of us.... we got a right rollocking and had to go to Arpley Street for a shouting at by an inspector and the cops also came round our house to let my mum and dad know....

I got a right kicking there too for having the Police come round.... 3 lots of punishment for one crime!!

The Police today are all jumped up smart arses.... the short coppers suffer from small person syndrome and as for the 4ft 10 dolly birds; I can't honestly see why they are even allowed in.... well apart from the correctness nonsense that has infected society over the past 20 years

Peter T

I think you misunderstood, The Policeman let down my tyres on my bike, thus making me walk home, I was on the pavement and thus no risk to drivers, No fine lesson learned. The Police today are just revenue collectors any opportunity to give a fine they take it. Sometimes a quiet word might do. Respect is a two way street.

Peter T

I think you misunderstood, The Policeman let down my tyres on my bike, thus making me walk home, I was on the pavement and thus no risk to drivers, No fine lesson learned. The Police today are just revenue collectors any opportunity to give a fine they take it. Sometimes a quiet word might do. Respect is a two way street.

Perhaps the copper was right then. 1. No lights.

2. Riding on the pavement without lights and endangering the pedestrians.

IF you think that was ok, you were WRONG.

:roll:

The Policeman let down my tyres, thus making me walk with my bike, his action took me off the road, making it safer for me as I was off the road, and for the drivers who could not see me, I did not like it at the time but looking back it taught me a lesson, and without a fine. As I said Police now are just income gatherers and they wonder why respect has gone.