Hosepipe ban

vic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wonder how it will effect bowling greens at pubs and clubs?

They can't be watered using a hose unless they have their own water supply...... simples

It is also illegal during a ban to use a hose to fill up your watering can!

It also affects the car cleaning companies too I think. Can't remember the last time but I'm sure they were shut

We still get more rain than we know what to do with, the problem is, when it does p**s down, they are not capturing and collecting it. :twisted:

Cumbria had only 50% of the average winter rainfall last winter. If it don't rain, you can't capture it.

I don't know where you got your statistics from IP, but the record from the Met Office site at Newtonrigg Cumbria gives 60mm for the first 4 months of this year compared to 35.5mm average for the first 4 months of the previous 10 years :wink::wink::wink:

I don't know where you got your statistics from IP,

The Met office, via the BBC website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/manchester/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8797000/8797287.stm

and,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10533376.stm

November was wet, and the reservoir levels did rise as a result. But the two months before and every month since have seen substantially below average rainfall.

Readings from one weather station taken in isolation can hardly be used to paint a picture of the region as a whole now can they?

No more often than the Met Office! :D:D

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/pr20100707.html

Newton Rigg weather station is just outside Penrith - inland of all the mountains and therefore shielded from most of the rain which normally comes in from the Atlantic. Apart from the floods in November, which mainly affected the western part of Cumbria because the rain came in from that direction, last winter we had relatively little Atlantic weather and more from over to the east. In this case what rain there was, Newton Rigg got more of it than usual.

When the wet winter weather comes from the Atlantic - as it does most years - Newton Rigg is shielded from most of the rain by the mountains and so normally records lower rainfall than is experienced by the reservoirs further to the west in the Lake District.

Last winter most of the weather came from continental Europe and Russia to the east - hence the heavy snowfall. This meant that what rain there was fell more heavily on the eastern side of Cumbria, as the rain clouds met the mountains of the Lake district, than it did on the reservoirs catchment areas. So last winter - unusually - Newton Rigg experienced more rainfall than normal, and far more than did the West Cumbria reservoirs.

Simples!

But what about all the snow on the Cumbrian hills? There was still patches of snow in March/ April - when it melts surely it runs into the lakes - or don't we count that because it's snow and not rain?

I think someone is stealing our water. Although it may not have rained as much as in the past it's not like we've had drought-like weather for months on end. It lasted about two weeks!