More snow coming tonight !!!

indy

:shock::? A belt of heavy snow is now forcast to hit the Warrington area after midnight tonight ... although it is only meant to last for approx 3 hours it could dump another 10cm onto already frozen snow and ice ... the outside temperature measured at Woodford Aerodrome at lunchtime today was -8c :(

Think I need a JCB now if i'm going to dig anything out of the frozen soils ...... :)

It's six below now, with the sun shining. Six inches of snow on my front garden, which faces due south. Stunning stuff for Lymm - never seen the like. Despite all the downsides, I have to say the child in me is thrilled to bits. The icicles on my gutters this morning are just amazing. It's getting a bit surreal..... :D

Listening to the radio on the way to see my mum in hospital and it reckoned that the current record of -87 degrees at the antarctic science station will be beaten possibly tonight with the temperature dropping to a whopping -96 degrees. This is due to the almost perfect calm conditions that currently exist down there which means that warmer air isn't being drafted across the continent.

Now can someone explain where this global warming and ice cap melting nonsense is now???? :lol:

I have a pond in the garden with fish so I have digital thermometers that monitor both the air and water temperatures. The water temperature by the way is just +1C but there is a small heater in the ponds plumbing that prevents freezing.

The temp at just gone 7:30pm was showing -12.2C but I've just checked again now and amazingly the it's jumped up to -7.2C that's an increase of 5 degrees in just two hours! The sky's still clear with no signs of clouds but I think this sudden jump might be a prelude for what?s about to come during the night. :(

Bill :)

You all will have a laugh - We had a hard frost here in Florida on the Gulf Coast - I Had to scrape my windows on my car this morning. First I had to figure out what to use to scrape them!! Thank God I had a small note book with a plastic binder - :shock::lol: Ah well still not as cold as the rest of the Northern Hemisphere! Be careful out there :wink:

Music CD boxes are good too Mary. Credit cards are ok in a gentle frost and if you break them you can't use them therefore saving you wasting money on things you don't really need to buy :wink::lol:

Send Gary some pictures of frosty Florida for his winter pages, would be nice to see them :D

I?ve just checked and it?s back down to ?12.2C again. :?

I think what might be happening is that due to the absolute still conditions, air warmed by the house is occasionally drifting that way and probably affecting the readings. The display unit?s inside but the sensor part is about six-foot away from the building, so it may well be a lot colder than this! :shock:

PS My cars staying well and truly off road for the duration. I had to abandon it on Tuesday night and just getting it back yesterday was the scariest bit driving I?ve ever experienced. :oops:

At least we are all warm inside our brightly lit and warm cocoons.

Apparently 1,800 homes in Hampshire, West Sussex and Surrey are still without power after snow brought down electricity cables

and temperatures could plummet to -20C there :shock:

In total about 20,000 customers have been cut off at one time or another since Tuesday and the area is also experiencing problems with water supplies at pumping stations :?:shock:

Thing is I think it?s all going to continue until at least the end of the month that is of course if you believe the forecasts. What was it they predicted? Last summer was to be a BBQ summer and the winter was going to be milder than normal.:lol:

The weather forecasts in the Beano are more accurate. :lol: When they say it might rain cats and dogs you know exactly what will happen :lol:

:) You could be right there Bill.. :lol:

Here's hoping for a heat wave tomorrow eh :D

Having just stood outside with a rather reluctant dog who is acting rather strangely tonight (maybe she knows something we don't :shock: ).. it is atill a very clear sky so maybe we wont get any more snow after all :D

At least fresh snow is far easier to walk on than the frozen stuff though :shock:

well if it snowed during the night it must be somewhere else as there is no change in the levels here. just a light dusting of frost on my car so the predicted snow failed to turn up. not that i am complaining.

had to pick up mums prescription yesterday as she had run out of some items. luckily she has hers sent to guardian street pharmacy so i did not have far to go. never seen warrington hospital so quiet, relatively speaking. out patients was almost deserted and the lady at the wvs cafe was about to close and that was at one o clock.

had to walk all the way to my mothers as the car is iced in and the buses that passed were not going in near her street. despite a lot of traffic on the main road past the hospital there was still quite a lot of ice and slush across the road. must have been gritted but did not look too safe to be driving on.