Did the pikeys nick our phone cables?

Bazj

Apparently sometime around 2am this morning, a bunch of travelling types decided to remove a section of the voice cabling from Cromwell Avenue; thus thrusting this part of town into a broadband free wilderness until about 20 minutes ago. Copper still has its value then I guess??

If the rumours are true, surely it is about time we actually started to get tough on these tax dodging thieves instead of affording them "victim status" or allowing them to settle near decent folk?

Even their own country has disowned many of them so why do we have to put up with them?

don.t know about the "pikeys" but had no internet this morning. checked modem and no power. everything else was ok so switched power on and off, nothing. thinking that the power supply had gone belly up i turned it off again and disconnected from the modem. when i pulled the cable out from beind the pc found that there were several breaks in the wire.

can only assume that a small rodent(mouse) has got in and tried to make a meal of the cable. so a quick splice and i am up and running again but will have to get the traps out and see what i can get. :shock::(

I got an early morning wake up call last week from one of my customers and spent an hour and a half trying to work out why his data systems had suddenly stopped working. Turned out to be the exactly the same thing where someone had gone up on the moors above Rochdale and ripped out hundreds of metres of telephone cables that linked to his remote transmitter.

I ended up having to go out on this one and chatting with the engineers, they told me that this sort of thing was commonplace but it?s not restricted to the small hours. Apparently in some of the major cities, these people wearing high visibility jackets just set up cones and then use automated winches to rip out hundreds of metres of cabling under our very own noses.

They have to burn off the insulation to recover the copper and destroy the markings and this gives off a very strong and distinctive smell. Maybe if this sort of practice were to be highlighted, we could get the public to report these unofficial recycling centres and nail the buggers. :twisted:

Bill :)

Unbelievable... is nothing safe these days :shock:

They (whoever 'they' are) will be digging up all our old lead water supply pipes soon to weigh it in . United Utilities and home owners beware :shock: At least it may stop all the leaks though in the long run :lol:

There was some cases of damage to property in Westbrook the night this happened too

As a side, how come this still hasn't been reported on on WWW and the "other" site? Yet there was a mention on BBC news :roll:

Probably so they don't upset the "travellers" who have probably nicked all the stuff they wanted and have now travelled somewhere else to sell it on.

Maybe if the government outlawed the sale of scrap cable by anyone other than cable companies, it may put a stop to some of it

The BBC say that 3 men have been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage!! They should be arrested on charges of theft as well as putting the lives of people at risk who couldn't dial 999 if there was an emergency

Remove their hands.... a fitting punishment I think

There was some cases of damage to property in Westbrook the night this happened too

As a side, how come this still hasn't been reported on on WWW and the "other" site? Yet there was a mention on BBC news :roll:

Unfortunately don't have any staff willing to work Sundays other than myself occasionally but a bit under the weather so took a day off - sorry! :roll:

Perhaps we should have a licence fee like the BBC so we can be financed as easily as the Beeb! :wink:

Full details here

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/6839/1/Phone-lines-vandalised/Page1.html

The BBC say that 3 men have been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage!! They should be arrested on charges of theft as well as putting the lives of people at risk who couldn't dial 999 if there was an emergency

Remove their hands.... a fitting punishment I think

Pity that they didn't get electrocuted.

So were they actually attempting to steal the cable or were they just drunks on their way home messing with the equipment?

Bill :)

Unfortunately now someone has been arrested and charged we can't go into the full facts of the case as it may prejudice any future trial! :roll:

Unfortunately now someone has been arrested and charged we can't go into the full facts of the case as it may prejudice any future trial! :roll:

Surely you mean FORTUNATELY Gary :wink: Glad to hear that someone has at least been charged with it although no doubt they will just get a slap on the wrist :roll:

• 1 month later...

A word of caution:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241994/Businessman-arrested-wife-son--anti-gipsy--email-didn-t-write.html

Interestingly the building, shown in the article, that the planning matter refers to looks very permanent to me, and therefore should be treated exactly the same as any other new building application.

Interestingly the building, shown in the article, that the planning matter refers to looks very permanent to me, and therefore should be treated exactly the same as any other new building application.

In an ideal world Paul, maybe. In this Labour created Police State that we seem to live in these days, I would doubt that would be possible anymore. The Police do what they want with complete impunity and bully and push their way into more and more innocent lives. They are more interested in ticking the Labour parties boxes than tackling real crime and disorder which is why we have the society we have now.

People are genuinely scared of making a comment about anything and anyone because brainwashing has convinced some people that if you hold a view which is contrary to the politically correct view of the leaders, then it makes you a racist..... just look at some of the people on here and the way they react when immigration issues are brought up. :lol:

Crikey :shock::lol: We'd all beter be careful what we say from now on :wink:

But it's a mobile home and not a 'building' Paul which is why all the usual building regs and planning stuff associated with new buildings don't apply (which obvioulsy you know or you wouldn't have said it :oops: ) :wink: It looks very nice though and much better than the usual ugly vans that are often sited :wink:

The following I have cut and pasted of t'interweb.......

'It is vital to consider the meaning of both ?building? and ?building operation?. Whilst the phrase ?building? has been found to be broad enough to include structures and erections which might not ordinarily be regarded as a building, the courts have decided that if something falls within the definition of a ?Caravan? it cannot also be a ?Building?. The two definitions are mutually exclusive.

The legal definition of a ?Caravan? is:

?Caravan means any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another whether by being towed or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer?'