Chinese whispers ?

Observer II

Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but over the last few weeks, I've noticed quite a few Chinese folk out and about in Warrington.   Then I noticed an advert for Warrington, written and narrated in Chinese on You Tube.  Whilst I don't particularly object to Chinese people, as they tend to have higher I.Q's  and industrious natures;  I do wonder whether this is the advanced guard of the two million Hong Kong Chinese invited into the UK by Boris ?     :unsure:

They say that one in five children born today are Chinese.

I come from a family of five apart from me there is my sister Anne, my three brothers,Fred, Charley and Chu Fat

so one of my family must be Chinese. personally i think it's Fred.......🤦‍♀️

Honestly obs, first it was the Yanks, then it was the Poles, After that it was the "illegals". Now it's the Chinese. Only need the Russians and we will have a full set..:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

The theory was to bring about a points based system, whereby we would encourage the importation of those skills our economy needs; and in the case of Chinese they tend to fill this requirement.  According to Boris at PMQs around 162.000 have arrived to date, which may explain why they've become more noticeable; with of course, a lot more to come.  But that's the problem in the end,  just how long and how many migrants can we sustain ?   We are a small Island, now with the highest population density in Europe; every non working individual represents a tax consumer, overloading our Schools and NHS etc, and creating a huge burden on social housing.   Then of course for those that do work, they provide a source of cheap labour to undercut the wages of indigenous workers.   The liberal middle class may employ such cheap labour as Nannies, Cleaners, Plumbers etc; but don't have to live amongst them, as in some areas of London where gang violence is now rife.   Now we can stick our heads in the sand and raise our butts to these immigrants or we can have some sensible and controllable political planning to improve the well being of our existing population.     😠

One of the main things i have noticed over the years is the zero hours contracts.

when i started work it was a job for life or until retirement whichever came first.

these days a job is for a few months at best for a lot of people.

One of my nieces has had at least ten different jobs in the last five years. most of which lasted about a month before she got fed up with it and looked for another job. Each time she has said "Oh this is my dream job" only to find that it was hard work and not at all what she expected and so packed it in for her next dream job.

The likes of the Chinese tend to stick at a job for many years even if it is just working in their uncles takeaway shop pandering to drunks and the like.

I can bet that the nhs will soon be hemorrhaging workers again due to low wages and rises in bills. The latest insult being them having to pay to park at the place they work at.

So much for honouring the NHS heroes....😡

• 2 weeks later...

I almost live in Woolston, and I haven’t really noticed any Chinese looking people at all, other than those who work in the local takeaway. Then again, I don’t go around specifically looking for such things, but in any case, Warrington has very few recognisable foreign people compared to many other places I could name in Britain.

As for this only being a small island and immigration numbers causing the system to breakdown, well there’s two ways of looking at that. If it was simply the case of numbers causing the problem (which I don’t believe is the case) then we’d have had a policy of limited births per family years ago. More likely the main worry comes from the fact that that the relatively well-off Brits don’t want to see people coming in who are prepared to work hard for less and I can understand that.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Fertility rates in the indigenous UK population are in decline, with non-whites being the main child bearers.   The relatively "well off" would be more likely to employ migrants as cheap labour, but more likely not to live in the same location.  First or second generation migrants now represent 50% of the London population.  :rolleyes:

We live in a world that’s changed dramatically from the time where families hardly moved from the town where they were born but nowadays people move to where they feel that they can live better, so in a sense we’re not that much different that most immigrants. And if the way of life has changed so much that the average woman needs a nanny because she needs to work, then what’s wrong with employing a Chinese person if us Brits don’t want to.  

Bill 😊

I think the nature of migrants from Hong Kong is not the same as previous waves. These people are not in poverty but better off folks looking for a life more like the free society in which they make a success of things when Hong Kong was British. The ones I have seen are complete with families and seem very confident. The usual stereotypes are unlikely to apply to these people as far as I can see. Also they are not fleeing in terror the are bringing their wealth and belongings with them, that is how come they can afford to buy houses!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

I think the nature of migrants from Hong Kong is not the same as previous waves. These people are not in poverty but better off folks looking for a life more like the free society in which they make a success of things when Hong Kong was British. The ones I have seen are complete with families and seem very confident. The usual stereotypes are unlikely to apply to these people as far as I can see. Also they are not fleeing in terror the are bringing their wealth and belongings with them, that is how come they can afford to buy houses!

Now these are the type of immigrants we need 👍👌

• 3 months later...

Yeah I had noticed, especially when popping the supermarket. A family from HK moved in behind us, lovely family, kids are friends and play together with the other kids. Absolutely zero problem with the people and I wish them well with their new futures.

However, I feel like this is starting to hit me in the pocket, and the government have created a huge problem now.

I'm a renter, and had the odd RPI based rental increase, but this year they wanted over 25% more in rent, not ideal in a time of soaring bills, especially with another child on the way. We've been sitting tenants here for a number of years, saving with a hope to hopefully purchase a house, we just about managed to negotiate a slight rise in rent, but come next year, I'm worried, will they want something we can't afford? Where are we going to end up?

Another house went up for rent, exact same new build, for an insane rental fee, snapped up within 24 hours with loads of viewing by people from HK. Some even before a board went up... They'll pay it, and I think Warringtonians are going to be priced out, and I think with the greedy letting agents and landlords, it's a case of 'eff the locals, we'll rinse the new arrivals for massive rents.

The Tories have created the perfect storm of landlords wanting to sell up because of their policies whilst kicking off this BNO scheme, probably because they wanted to stick it to Xi Jinping. Yet gotta protect that green belt... It's not compatible.

Was it about 2,000 that now live here, surely that would be around 500 homes based on an average family of 4? It's just not sustainable at all, we need homes, we need rent controls.

Something has to be done, prices and the lack of properties is a nightmare.

• Upvote 1

I feel sorry for people wanting to get on the property ladder. I know landlords will have a different perspective but most renters will have no way whatsoever of being able to afford a deposit for a mortgage unless a family member can help them out.

A new estate went up near us a couple of years ago ,all for so called purchase, & within a few days of properties being built they were on the market as rentals.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Opening the doors to loads of wealthy people from Hong Kong doesn’t help anyone in your situation. They all need accommodation whether they’re looking to rent or buy so for the agents it’s a golden opportunity to make extra money. I don’t think there are any rules that govern what they can get away with charging. The only hope is that if they’ve got so much money then they’re likely to be looking at properties at the top end of the market.

Nice to see a new face here for a change and hope you’ll stick around and let us know how you get on.

Bill 😊

Rich or poor immigrants, it doesn't matter; it's the overall numbers that create increased pressures on housing and public services; and this Gov has allowed an increasing inflow mainly imo through incompetance, but Lib/Labs would do it through choice.  As ever, the downside falls on the Plebs, who are driven out of local areas, that become foreign enclaves that don't assimilate into indigenous society.  We should be trying to Make Britain Great Again, but I fear it may be too late.    💀

• 11 months later...

My regular Friday night drinking pal has recently been hospitalized and will be out of circulation for several weeks. I rarely bother going into a pub on my own as most others tend to be couples or groups who I don’t know but with Mrs Green binging on Netflix anything was better than that.

It was a hot night, and most people were sitting outside but by 9pm it was starting to cool down, so I went inside. I took my normal seat and a Chinese looking couple sitting nearby nodded and said hello. Turned out that they only moved into the area (Woolston) last week and this was their first venture out to the local pub. They were of course from Hong Kong and had both studied at university here in the past, so their English was quite good, so I took the opportunity to find out more.

They were both in their early thirties and they explained how bad things had got for them over there. They said the hardest thing was leaving their families behind, but their parents had decided that they were too old to make major changes at that time in their lives. They both had good professional jobs and eager to make the best of a bad situation. They were a very apprehensive about how they would be accepted here given the immigration difficulties but having chatted with them for over an hour I think I may have put some of their fears to one side as they thanked me for spending the time with them.

We agreed to meet up again this coming Friday so hopefully I can get a better understanding of their problems. It certainly was better than talking about football all night (or binging on Netflix).

Bill 😊

as the advert said "it's good to talk".

two new friends made and interesting conversation also they will be happy about having a friendly local to go to as well.

hope your friend gets better soon as well.

mrs sid currently in hospital and all i can say is that the staff are brilliant and very caring.

The Hong Kong couple didn’t turn up by 10 o’clock Friday night and as I didn’t know anyone else in the place, I went home and watched some telly. It looks like my mate who had a tumour removed will be giving the beer a miss for quite a few weeks yet so there’s still the chance I’ll bump into them again.

Sorry to hear about Mrs Sid, hope it’s not too serious and that she gets better soon. At least you don’t have far to go for visiting or pay for the privilege of parking. I didn’t get visit my wife while she was in there due to the Covid restrictions; plus, she forgot her phone so, I had no contact for eight days.

Bill 😊