New members would be nice!

Bill

The forum seems to be working pretty much perfectly these days. There was an issue that had some worried a while back, but it turned out that the problem was with the internet supplier and not this forum. I've been a member on here since day one and other than the annoying adverts and the rare outage the overall experience is good. The forum could do with a few more people joining in so if you're reading this and haven't registered do it now. You won't get any junk mail or anything like that and the handful that post here are just normal folk that like to chat in a little more depth that the likes of Facebook.

Bill :)    

• Upvote 1

• Bill changed the title to New members would be nice!
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes.. It does seem the same band of posters all the time.

I have lost track of the last time I saw a new face.

Think we few should start spreading the word.

Older posters will find it less confrontational than other sites. And therefore more user friendly.

A few well placed words in the right ears would likely do the trick

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the more members, the more running costs and the more hassle for me as Dizzy rarely appears these days (Not having a go as I know she is very busy working and on facebook ;)) Because of the millions of spammers who try and join the joining process is fairly rigorous and we don't even allow people with gmail accounts to join.

Every now and again someone emails in saying please let them join, we go to the trouble of manually creating their account - and guess what they rarely ever post and are not seen again.

We are also undergoing a revamp of the main site and our web developers have said the forum could drag the reputation of the site down because ITHO there are some racist and not politically correct posts on the forum which could damage our reputation. You have to remember around 90 pc of you fall into the Grumpy Old Men category these days (probably me included). 

So is anyone willing to come on board as a moderator and share the responsibilty and the legal fees? Even with the adverts this forum costs best part of £1k a year to run and maintain properly - and the more members it gets the more expensive it gets.

The vast majority of our forum membersm, being grumpy old men also have ad blocker on so the returns are almost non existence towards the running costs.

On 7/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, Evil Sid said:

I'm doing my little bit by wearing my warrington worldwide tee shirt when i am out and about.

Had one or two ask what it is about and pointed them in the direction of the site and hinted about the forum as well.

Proud of you Sid!

This forum dragging WWWs reputation down? You’ve got to be kidding and I sincerely hope you put them right about that.

This is like a Sunday school compared to some of the responses I see on your news articles on FB. We don’t really need anyone to moderate here because despite differing opinions, we all try and show respect for one another. I’ve not seen anything offensive here for years despite you and the moderator rarely appearing.

As for people who don’t post anything, that's always going to happen and amazingly, a none posting member turned up on my doorstep today asking about my solar heating project. He was a very nice man and said he doesn’t like to post but reads most of what’s written here. How's that for timing, that's never happened before.

Bill 😊

On 7/24/2021 at 8:43 PM, Bill said:

This forum dragging WWWs reputation down? You’ve got to be kidding and I sincerely hope you put them right about that.

This is like a Sunday school compared to some of the responses I see on your news articles on FB. We don’t really need anyone to moderate here because despite differing opinions, we all try and show respect for one another. I’ve not seen anything offensive here for years despite you and the moderator rarely appearing.

As for people who don’t post anything, that's always going to happen and amazingly, a none posting member turned up on my doorstep today asking about my solar heating project. He was a very nice man and said he doesn’t like to post but reads most of what’s written here. How's that for timing, that's never happened before.

Bill 😊

Nope - the jokes section in particular allegedly contains some politically incorrect stuff which has been deemed offensive 

Think it was more the shock value rather than trend setting.

In saying that Benny Hill probably got away with a lot more than monty python just a matter of the language used. less innuendo in monty python than Benny Hill.

When it first came out it was "different" and some parts were funny whilst others had you scratching your head in puzzlement.

Both very None pc these days.

• 2 months later...

I have just manually approved half a dozen new members - although it is difficult to work out whether they are spammers are not - other than by location and the spam programme we use. Please message me if anyone dodgy starts spamming - other than the usual culprits lol.

Since Dizzy became busy (on facebook) it is hard to keep track of everything.

I think part of the problem might be the length of time it takes when someone tries to register before being allowed to post. I know you’re busy but if you and Dizzy aren’t around and it could take several days, and most people would have lost interest by then. I’d give it a go for you if you like, I’m on the PC virtually every day so any spammers wouldn’t last long.

Best to give me a call 07941 388723 or even better, explain things over a pint, It’s your turn anyway. 😊

Bill 😊

5 hours ago, Bill said:

I think part of the problem might be the length of time it takes when someone tries to register before being allowed to post. I know you’re busy but if you and Dizzy aren’t around and it could take several days, and most people would have lost interest by then. I’d give it a go for you if you like, I’m on the PC virtually every day so any spammers wouldn’t last long.

Best to give me a call 07941 388723 or even better, explain things over a pint, It’s your turn anyway. 😊

Bill 😊

Hi Bill - more than happy to make you a moderator as you have matured with age 😬 It is all pretty self explanatory although the main problem is working out if someone is a spammer as they are all clever enough to register with a spam ranking of 1 which says they aren't likely to be spammers when 99 per cent of them are! Usually their log in location is the biggest clue! Getting out for a pint is easier said than done with my current running challenge, which means I am doing a 5k every other day! I can't see any activity from the ndew members and I haven't worked out how to welcome them either. One of the old boards use to make it easy to announce and new member and throw them to the lions lol 

Ah well, a pint and a chat would have been my preferred option, so I’ll have to leave it up to you how to explain what needs. I assume it’ll all be done from these pages by changing my access permissions or at least that’s how it was done on the other boards.

Bill 😊