Protests ?

Observer II

Seems we have a growing minority of people who are now protesting on our streets about alleged loss of freedoms.   Are these the same people who try to close down anything and anybody that they disagree with, when there are democratic avenues available to challenge Gov policy  via our MPs.  ?    😠

• Upvote 1

Don’t be too hard on these people Obs because those last night at least were sticking to the rules about wearing masks unlike those in London earlier where not a single person in the crowd wore one. ;)

Clearly these people don’t watch the news channels to see what’s happening in countries around the world where a much harder line is taken..  In comparison, we have to be right at the other end of the enforcement scale, not that that would have made any difference to those involved last night.

Bill 😊

I think there's a danger here of confusing the people out marching because they believe that their representatives in Parliament aren't taking any notice of the harm that lockdown is doing to large numbers of people, with the usual troublemakers who see it as a chance to riot using peaceful demonstrators as a shield. As for "mask wearing rules" - who cares? A minor concern when property is being damaged and people being injured.

• Upvote 1

These middle class kids, totally brainwashed by their woke University lecturers, clearly think they are IT, when the problem is they've never been HIT hard enough, to dispel their idiotic fantasies.   One wonders if they inherited any of the genes of their grand-parents, who won them the freedoms they now abuse.   😠

• Upvote 1

Seems we now have "a protest" at Bately Grammar School, over the alleged showing of a cartoon representation of Mohammed to Muslim pupils, in an R.E. class.   My first question is, in an age of so called elightenment and scientific rationalism, why are we having R.E. lessons in what should be a secular education establishment ?   My second question would be, does any living being know what Muhammed looked like in order to accurately represent him in a picture, the same applies to Jesus for that matter ?    We're on the eve of sending Humans to Mars, and we still tolerate such levels of backward superstitious belief in our society.      😠

As far as I know any depiction of Mohammed is taboo in Islam so, as you say, how can they say a cartoon picture is of the prophet except in their own minds? It's another case of people choosing to be "offended" even though there is no law protecting anyone from being "offended" by anything.

When the French magazine published their cartoon images, they knew full well that it would offend all of their large Muslim population and yet they went ahead and did it. To me this shows a complete lack of respect for the beliefs of others and although the results were truly horrific, the French had only themselves to blame.

In the case of this Batley school though, the religious education class were attempting to study blasphemy, a difficult subject that can’t ignore depicting of the prophet in much the same way as you can’t teach about the war without showing a Nazi swastika.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry Bill, but I fundamentally disagree;   with freedom of speech, anything goes imo; so no backward or lefty group should have a power of veto over what's said, just because they feel offended.   Blasphemy is outdated, just like Religion, and imo has no place in a modern educational curriculum, which imo should be scientific and evidence based.  The fact that Muslims react with violence to such "offence", says everything about the nature of that Religion.     😠

Due to secularism the west has moved on from implementing blasphemy laws but its religion is encroaching on secular liberalism that is causing concern with its primitive outlook on its own followers & the wider world. God forbid Islam particularly Sharia gets a dominant grip on our society.

That’s ok Obs I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me providing it remains respectful. Just to be clear, I’m not a religious person but did attend a faith school and believe that those formative years had some important bearings on the person that I am today.

I’m all in favour of free speech but not of the notion that anything goes as that sound too much like a licence to be insulting and disrespectful to others and we’ve got too many of that sort around already.

Bill 😊

The bloke from extinction rebellion who sprayed graffitied all over the conservative offices seems to have made the law look like a joke. He got a smack on the hand and had to pay court costs of just £107 but for that he claimed his right to read out what seems like the entire extinction rebellion manifesto in public which was then repeated in full on the Facebook news pages of both WWW and the Guardian.

As a cheap way of getting his message out, he got a bargain but the issue of the rights and wrongs of using graffiti in this way seemed to have been forgotten about. The right to protest shouldn't include deliberately creating an eyesore in the community.  He said it wouldn't be a permanent problem because it would wash off but you could use the same argument to justify dropping litter. 

Maybe we'll see the local councillors adopting this method of cheap publicity.

Bill 😊

Brought them back to pick it up. Where did you hear that and what happened to the mega fines they threatened?

The technology makes use of a change made to the law in 2017 that means prosecutors no longer need to prove who dropped the litter, with a fine simply issued to the owner of the vehicle.

The software matches footage of litter being thrown out of a car with that of the vehicle’s licence plate. Once verified, the information is passed onto the Driving and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA), which provides the details of the car’s owner, allowing the local council to issue a fine.

Too blooming soft if you ask me. I’ll bet the three women had a good laugh about it later on.

Bill 😊