TV ?

Observer II

With my TV on 24/7 , I'm worried about how much lecky it's using and whether it will survive it ?     As for progs:  to get away from the doom and gloom of the news, I've found some good channels like PBS America, which provide, albeit repeated, interesting progs on history and nature.  So a learning exercise: EG:  there's one about the Viet Nam War, with an insight into the cause of US involvement.  Apparently at the end of WW2, Ho Chi Min wanted US support for Vietnamese independence, in line with a US de-colonisation policy being supported by FDR.   In his inaugural speech, in claiming Independence when the Japanese left;  Ho Chi Min quoted directly from the US Declaration of Independence, "all men are created equal" etc.   Problem was, that US policy became obsessed with anti-Communism with the start of the Cold War,  so instead of supporting Independence under Ho,  they supported the return of the French, then when they got defeated at Dien Ben Phu,  they supported a corrupt Regime in the South.  They then lost 50,000 soldiers fighting a futile war.   😷

• Upvote 1

I take it you've already been through the yesterday channel, Obs ? Channel 5 is not bad for historical programmes either & there is sometimes the added bonus of progs being presented  by Alice Roberts. There is also some posh totty on BBC 4 with history progs. You may even get Mary Beard !

• Haha 1

Well looking at some of the programs you could be watching i do wonder if the broadcasters are having a bit of a dig at us having to stay at home.

Sun sea and selling houses, escape to the country, a place in the sun home or away, escape to the château, hairy bikers Mediterranean adventure and the ever popular location location location.

Talking pictures channel has some good old nostalgia on if you don't mind black and white films. some can be quite amusing if you watch the acting rather than try and follow the plot. This afternoon they have a short film made in 1940 about how a raleigh bicycle is made......Might give that one a watch.

1 hour ago, Evil Sid said:

Well looking at some of the programs you could be watching i do wonder if the broadcasters are having a bit of a dig at us having to stay at home.

Sun sea and selling houses, escape to the country, a place in the sun home or away, escape to the château, hairy bikers Mediterranean adventure and the ever popular location location location.

Talking pictures channel has some good old nostalgia on if you don't mind black and white films. some can be quite amusing if you watch the acting rather than try and follow the plot. This afternoon they have a short film made in 1940 about how a raleigh bicycle is made......Might give that one a watch.

It has some really good 1960's kitchen sink dramas Room at the Top/Saturday Night Sunday Morning etc... 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

They really did have some dismal films in the 60s ,dismal but good ,cult viewing you might say. The were probably made as an antidote to the swinging 60s  which must have passed me by .

I was a child of 1950's and watching these old films has me almost smelling the smokey streets and the washing lines strung across the back alley with damp clothes and on warm days that soapy smell off the Mersey froth , were we deprived? No just happy and content 😀

Sheets Flap and Towels Hang Out - The New York Times

• Upvote 1

I've been following the PBS America series on the Viet Nam War with many revelations, one of which I knew about was the US draft system; which allowed the wealthy to avoid the draft - examples are George Bush who stayed in the US with the Air National Guard, and Bill Clinton who attended a UK University.   What did surprise me, was, that the N Vietnamese were at it too; with their political elite sending their kids to Russian and Chinese Universities, while sacrificing millions of peasants on the battlefield.     

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

I've been following the PBS America series on the Viet Nam War with many revelations, one of which I knew about was the US draft system; which allowed the wealthy to avoid the draft - examples are George Bush who stayed in the US with the Air National Guard, and Bill Clinton who attended a UK University.   What did surprise me, was, that the N Vietnamese were at it too; with their political elite sending their kids to Russian and Chinese Universities, while sacrificing millions of peasants on the battlefield.     

I was pals with a young conscript who was stationed at Burtonwood we went in The Beachcomber back in 1967 and he use to say how a posting over here was equivalent to winning $ 1,000,000 and having Marilyn Monroe as your girlfriend !!!! He knew lads who had not been so lucky and ended up at Da Nang Air base something his pals called "A Meat Grinder" of a posting.

And if it wasn't for Harold Wilson vetoing a request from Lyndon Johnson to join in that blood bath I (being 18 at the time) could well have been called up and ended there.

But common sense prevailed ,

The figures bandied around by Johnson was we send out.....

The ratio of combat troops to combat support (mechanics, medics, engineers clerks, drivers, cooks, logistics, etc) is, very roughly, around 2.5:1. So, to get 250,000 combat troops into Vietnam, you’re going to need 875,000 warm bodies.

Imagine if Churchill had been still alive and was the Prime Minister instead of Wilson

My blood still runs cold thinking about it.

I was stationed near Ubon, Thailand, at the time,  could see the Phantoms taking off to rain death and destruction on the VC.   Met a crowd of Yanks in a local bar, and they asked when we Limeys would be joining in. We replied the VC don't need any help, and ran off - fast !  Most of them were high as kites anyway; it was then that I realised they would lose.    😄

Well actually Sid,  your right, they won militarily based on the body count, but lost it politically at home.   They dropped more tonnage of bombs than in the whole of WW2;  lost 50,000 dead, but with an average kill ratio of 10-1,  the VC paid a high price for their Independence.       💀