TV ?

Observer II

Watched one tonight about the hunt for the killers of the 50 Great Escape RAF servicemen.  Unlike shown in the film, they were not machine gunned in one group, but shot seperately by local Gestapo units near their place of capture.  The defence by the perpetrators was that if they hadn't carried out the execution order, they themselves would have been shot, as the order came directly from Hitler -  which poses a philosophical question imo.   However, most were found guilty by a military tribunal and hanged by 1948.  One perpetrator wasn't found until 1963,  when he was tried by a German Court,  found guilty and sentenced to 2 years in prison  -  obviously times and attitudes had changed.   💀

Sat and watched the lady killers the other afternoon. Classic film with a lot of actors who became well known in later life but in bit parts in this. katie Johnson as mrs wilberforce is the real highlight with some really great scenes.

If you haven't seen it before it is well worth watching, even if you have it is worth another viewing.

There was a Timewatch episode on last night & i watched the last half hour. I had seen it before ,it was about a British criminal during WW2 who was recruited as a double agent . He even joined the German army  & was sending operational intelligence back to his UK handlers. He even won the Iron Cross for carrying out two acts of sabotage for the Germans ,actions that never happened. Eddie survived the war & his criminal record was wiped clean & he lived till 1997 & the film Triple Cross was based on his life story.

I see your mate Scary Mary is fronting a programme called Front Row on BBC2 at 7 30 pm ,i think every week night, so if you want your Mary fix you know where she is now & waiting for you. I thought it was a rugby prog being advertised at first.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been some good history and nature progs on, plenty for kids to learn about while off school.    Watched one about Whales, and apparently Sperm Whales can dive down over a mile to seek their favourite prey - giant squid; and hold their breath for over an hour.   Being pitch black down there, they rely on sonar to see and emit the loudest sounds made by any animal.  The pressure at such depth must be tremendous and would probably crush a submarine,  evolution is certainly a wonderous thing.  😷

I've been watching some episodes of a series i recorded on BBC last year about the Irish troubles with input from all sides .Spotlight it is called & was on BBC. So far though.i haven't heard any mention of the M62 coach bomb .

Does anyone watch the old Coronation St shows on ITV3 during the afternoon?

The difference in content with present day shows is massive.

The old ones were totally enjoyable Bet & Alec Gilroy.Jack & Vera Duckworth.Mavis & Derek Wilton... you could go on with plenty more.. All class acts in their own right.Story lines that don't depress you and a really great watch.

No wonder it was so popular back then,in a much easier kinder world.

Well those days may be gone but for half an hour I can be there in spirit at least.

I stopped watching Corrie 10 years ago, probably because the humour had gone out of it somewhat. But I don't think I could watch old ones again for some reason. My late wife was a Corrie junkie in that she would religiously watch every episode and record it to watch the next morning. Plus she always watched the omnibus editions at the weekend 🤣.

Corrie was good when it was on twice a week but there are only so many plots & storylines & the more often a programme is shown the more the stories are diluted. It used to be one of the best tv comedies too & was a springboard for many rising actors.

Comedy ,imagine showing Love thy neighbour, Brothers McGregor or Till Death Us Do Part in this day & age ?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Corrie was good when it was on twice a week but there are only so many plots & storylines & the more often a programme is shown the more the stories are diluted. It used to be one of the best tv comedies too & was a springboard for many rising actors.

Comedy ,imagine showing Love thy neighbour, Brothers McGregor or Till Death Us Do Part in this day & age ?

That was back in the days you could laugh at what you thought funny.

Not some script writer with a personal agenda who decides what you will watch and find""funny"" 🥱

Leonardo Dicaprio Cheers Meme - Imgflip

• Upvote 2

What i find amazing with the likes of Corrie & Eastenders is they are all on the breadline but manage to be in the pub everyday & when somebody gets a "few hours" at the local shop they are buying a villa in Spain within weeks. Nobody is ever ill....the only time there has been illness is when they opened a doctor's surgery in Weatherfield ,once it was shut down everybody was A1 again. Perhaps that shows that doctor's surgeries are the main source of illness.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Davy51 said:

What i find amazing with the likes of Corrie & Eastenders is they are all on the breadline but manage to be in the pub everyday & when somebody gets a "few hours" at the local shop they are buying a villa in Spain within weeks. Nobody is ever ill....the only time there has been illness is when they opened a doctor's surgery in Weatherfield ,once it was shut down everybody was A1 again. Perhaps that shows that doctor's surgeries are the main source of illness.

I don't think people "meeting up" in The Job Centre or local Bus Station would make good tele.

So the pub is ideal.

Hang all reality ; we have enough of that everywhere else.

Remember Deidre's Morrocan husband ? She borrowed the money off Emily to pay for his air fare to come and live with her and Tracey. Then a few months later he was taking her back to live in a Bar/Restaurant he was buying for her on the seafront in Agadir !!! Priceless 🤣

• Upvote 1

Bradley Hardacre. Brass was like a send up of all the Dicken's & C.Cookson classics that were being shown on tv. The future "Don Brennan" ,Corrie's limping taxi driver was in it'

Sam was another strange production with Mark McManus with a dodgy Yorkshire accent.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 10:11 AM, asperity said:

I bought the box-set of Brass a couple of years ago and binge-watched it. Brilliant acting by Timothy West and the rest. I lent it to a mate of mine and haven't seen it since.

Asp, there are 'mates. and good mates, good mates, the latter return what you have loaned to them, when I was a young man (boy' that was many years ago) I loaned a brand new sea rod and multiplier reel to a so called mate who lost them overboard while Tope fishing off Rhyl, he promised that he would replace them. I never did get a replacement, again some mate he was!.