Ads on this site

Milky

if you have read the topic on the forum problems you will be a ware of why there has been an increase in the ads on this forum and site in general.

In a nutshell ads equals money to run the newspaper and the forum. No ads= no money = no newspaper or forum.

Yes they are a nuisance at times but not as bad as the other local "news" paper. Disabling an adblocker on their site means that i can go and have a shower, make a brew and clean the house whilst waiting for one page to load.

also on here you do not get pestered or even blocked from seeing content if you do have an ad blocker enabled.

• Upvote 2

But surely using an android device the same will apply to all sites that have ads. (which is probably every website going)

I do have an android device but have only ever used t once to browse the web and that was when i got it a few years back since then it has done duty as an ereader and occasional use as a tv when i want to watch something but have to be away from the tv to do something else.

unfortunately ads on websites are a fact of life these days.

an example of  areal pain was one particular game i played the other day. you could be halfway through a level and suddenly up pops an ad obscuring the screen and you had to really hunt around to find the little box with a X in it to get rid of it. it was one of those puzzle games that you needed to concentrate on what your next step was to get to the end as well.

• 3 weeks later...

AS the owner I have been biting my tongue and keeping quite as there are far more important issues going on for me (my family) the town and the rest of the word. The adverts are our only form of revenue. Running this forum, even with adverts costs me personally over £750 a year, add to that the running costs of the main site (before any staffing costs) and you are talking another  £9k a year!.

Google gave an option to take over the placement of the adverts on this and the main site. Yes they are a bit of an inconvenience but they are not hurting anyone - all the same news content e.t.c is stll there for you for free. I currently have had to furlough all staff, had no govt grants but am still working seven days a week around the clock providing a free news service and a free forum and free daily news. The new advert placements have enabled us to keep going through what were already difficult times. 

If you want to carry on arguing with me over the placement of the adverts feel free - but if you are an unhappy customer (Can you be a customer if you don't pay?) nobody is forcing you on here and i am not making any demands of you.

P.S Since our new advert placements our revenues have increased over 500 per cent and our website traffic has doubled in the past month, so not many people are voting with their feet. I guess you could always try the other news channel which i believe now limits how many stories you can see and they binned their forum years ago because its dwellers were more trouble than they were worth!

I know I have some loyal friends on here who have been great supporters for many years and I thank you all and wish you all well. Take care and lets hope we can all get through these terrible times.

• Upvote 3

Well said Gary.

Personally i do not really notice ads so much these days, unless they intrude to the point of obscuring the content, which they don't on here. Glad to hear that the revenue and webtraffic has increased on here as well.

Always quality reporting and no sensationalist headlines that bear little resemblance to the actual story a rarity these days, and yes i did notice that limit on the other Warrington site.I have the feeling that they will be losing a lot of "readers" because of it. ( and you may gain quite a few more as well)

any how all the best to you and yours, stay safe, stay well and take some time to chill.

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, Confused52 said:

Good news Gary. In my opinion the growth could be because for coronavirus your stories contain more information and are not outdated or repetitive. The essence of reliable news. Well done indeed.

The actual readership of the coronavirus facts and figures stories has dwindled somewhat since the many thousands read our breaking news story of the first reported case in the town many weeks ago - I'd say a lot of people have almost got complacent to the pandemic going on around us judging by the many day trippers descending on local beauty spots- but that's another story - and I've covered that one as well! But thanks for the comment it is nice to know work is appreciated - people normally only comment when they are having a go!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 10:44 PM, Gary said:

AS the owner I have been biting my tongue and keeping quite as there are far more important issues going on for me (my family) the town and the rest of the word. The adverts are our only form of revenue. Running this forum, even with adverts costs me personally over £750 a year, add to that the running costs of the main site (before any staffing costs) and you are talking another  £9k a year!.

Google gave an option to take over the placement of the adverts on this and the main site. Yes they are a bit of an inconvenience but they are not hurting anyone - all the same news content e.t.c is stll there for you for free. I currently have had to furlough all staff, had no govt grants but am still working seven days a week around the clock providing a free news service and a free forum and free daily news. The new advert placements have enabled us to keep going through what were already difficult times. 

If you want to carry on arguing with me over the placement of the adverts feel free - but if you are an unhappy customer (Can you be a customer if you don't pay?) nobody is forcing you on here and i am not making any demands of you.

P.S Since our new advert placements our revenues have increased over 500 per cent and our website traffic has doubled in the past month, so not many people are voting with their feet. I guess you could always try the other news channel which i believe now limits how many stories you can see and they binned their forum years ago because its dwellers were more trouble than they were worth!

I know I have some loyal friends on here who have been great supporters for many years and I thank you all and wish you all well. Take care and lets hope we can all get through these terrible times.

Here is me thinking this site is your business and your here to make money.

16 hours ago, algy said:

Well said Gary and I for one support you completely on this issue and keep up the good work as long as you are able.

Thanks Algy - eight weeks of lockdown has taught me one valuable lesson - I spent twenty years being a busy fool worrying what other people think. May be a I should also limit readers to 20 views a month and put up a pay wall as well! :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, asperity said:

I wasn't seeing any ads until just recently, but they aren't intrusive or worse than on other sites I visit. Carry on Gary!

Thanks Asperity - Using this on a desk top and i don't know what the problem is  although seeing lots of adverts promoting moaning old geezers :wink:

On 5/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, Gary said:

It is and with out the adverts it doesn't make any money - so I am not exactly sure what your point is?

Let me explain as your not sure, without traffic you won't have adverts, Google Adsense are not a charity. 

"you want to carry on arguing with me over the placement of the adverts feel free - but if you are an unhappy customer (Can you be a customer if you don't pay?) nobody is forcing you on here and i am not making any demands of you." 

I brought up an issue that is a problem to me, being redirected to full page ads, I certainly did not expect a Basil Fawlty type of response. 

Maybe if you don't want to worry about what people think you should quit and the moaning old geezer just might be in the mirror. 

7 hours ago, Milky said:

Let me explain as your not sure, without traffic you won't have adverts, Google Adsense are not a charity. 

I brought up an issue that is a problem to me, being redirected to full page ads, I certainly did not expect a Basil Fawlty type of response. 

Maybe if you don't want to worry about what people think you should quit and the moaning old geezer just might be in the mirror. 

I can only see one person moaning on this thread to be honest 😉.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:29 AM, Milky said:

I would love to give you a proper Basil Fawlty response but forum rules forbid it. I certainly won't be quitting and the only thing I will be seeing in the mirror is a sour moaning milky who appears to have a very sad isolated life trying to pick fights on forums. Please clear off to the other news site and leave me to run my business, which I am delighted to say is booming since we increased the number of adverts by well over 500 per cent increase in revenue, some of which has been invested back into the community - and if you have the guts to reveal your true identity I may start to take notice of what you say.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 10:36 PM, Gary said:

I would love to give you a proper Basil Fawlty response but forum rules forbid it. I certainly won't be quitting and the only thing I will be seeing in the mirror is a sour moaning milky who appears to have a very sad isolated life trying to pick fights on forums. Please clear off to the other news site and leave me to run my business, which I am delighted to say is booming since we increased the number of adverts by well over 500 per cent increase in revenue, some of which has been invested back into the community - and if you have the guts to reveal your true identity I may start to take notice of what you say.

I seriously don'y know what your problem is, I wasn't trying to be horrible, difficult or anything like that, I highlighted a problem I had with the adds,

However I will do what you wish and clear off and despite your attacks on me I do wish you all the best, I am pleased your business is doing well and it goes from strength to strength.

you want to know my real ID I will email it to you if you wish.but I give up I don't need this attitude