Adverts.

Davy51

I'm glad you asked that Davy51 as I thought I was seeing thing for a minute.

From the main menus I just clicked on National Issues... it showed there were some new posts I'd not read on the Corona Virus topic so I clicked to go straight to page 3 (presuming that's where they would be and that I'd have already seen everything on page 1 & 2.

So reading through page 3 I too got loads of adverts showing mid way between everyones posts (screen shots below) and even more bizarely  most were ads showing to me were  ' to meet beautiful women from around the globe'.   And before anyone says google must have picked up on my recent browser searches or views I can assure you that I have never searched or viewed any such thing and there is only me who uses this computer.

I then clicked to view page 1 and 2 and none of those had ads so clicked back to page 2 again and they had all vanished.  So I repeated what I had done first time round going straight to page 3 and there they were back again.

I've never seen adverts in between our actual posts before so beats me unless there had been a recent forum update/patch applied (Gary have you done one recently as I haven't for ages cos I forgot my password many months ago lol)  or Gary ha you changed how google ads are placed etc.....If not then answers on a post card please to.... 'Friday 13th Gremlins Strike In Warrington'

Gary WWW forum adverts between posts 13 Mar 20 1.jpg

Thanks Obs and gawd almighty others are all showing on this topic to me now too when they weren't when I first read it and commented.  

Davy51, & Obs are you seeing them when using a desktop pc or tablet or mobile phone.  Asp...what are you using.
I'm using my desktop PC at the moment but will try looking with my tablet and mobile once they both charge up.

As I've not read most topics/posts this week (been way too busy, sorry) and having just looked at another topic in Local Issues ie the IT'S HERE topic that I'd not read either I wondered if maybe they are only showing when a viewer reads a full new page of a topic for the first time as I have just done.  But clearly that's not the case if I'm now seeing the damn things on this one too. 

One things for sure...if they don't bugger off I'll be staying off for longer as they are so damn annoying and make a topic very hard to read, follow and comment on indeed!!

For Gary's info (I've messaged him to read this thread) here's the screen shots of the crap I just saw when reading the Local Issues 'ITS HERE' thread too.

Gary WWW forum adverts between posts 13 Mar 20 5.jpg

Gary WWW forum adverts between posts 13 Mar 20 6.jpg

Gary WWW forum adverts between posts 13 Mar 20 7.jpg

Gary WWW forum adverts between posts 13 Mar 20 8.jpg

Well up until today i was only seeing ads at the top of each topic. not they seem to be between each post.

i do have ad blocker but it is turned off on this site as the ads do not seem to slow the loading of the page down as they do on other sites.

Although why i keep seeing the ebay ad for scantily clad scale models of japanese girls and some lycra clad woman posing at the side of a motorbike advertising round number plates of all things i have no idea.

As a thought about that i was looking up japanese motorcycle parts for a mate but that is a tenuous link at best.

EDITED BIT:- for some reasons they seem not to appear between posts now just at the top of the post page as they normally did. I have read all the posts that i hadn't seen over the last 24 hours and they seem fine now. perhaps its the corona virus affecting things , or brexit. 🤣

odd now there is an advert between the last two posts as well as at the top and bottom.

I am on a desktop running windows 7 using firefox latest version with add blocker disabled for this site only.

The version of windows should not make any difference or what mac operating system you use. Not sure about the VPN as i only have that enabled on opera which i seldom use.

In theory ads should appear on whatever devices you view the page with if you do not have an ad blocker enabled.

shall have to see if an ad appears between this post and asperity's previous post....🤔

My understanding of most forums is that unless you pay an annual fee you'll get adverts. Pay a small fee and this plague of ads will vanish, pay a slightly higher fee and the less annoying banners top and bottom will go as well.

This is as bad as it gets so it's probably due to Gary either forgetting to renew the subscription or just giving up on us. ;)

Bill :)

3 hours ago, Bill said:

My understanding of most forums is that unless you pay an annual fee you'll get adverts. Pay a small fee and this plague of ads will vanish, pay a slightly higher fee and the less annoying banners top and bottom will go as well.

This is as bad as it gets so it's probably due to Gary either forgetting to renew the subscription or just giving up on us. ;)

If that's the case, then why aren't I being annoyed by ads? Maybe I use better AV than other people 🤔

That most certainly is the case Asp.

Adverts, which aren't viruses btw must be getting removed by something else on your PC probably some kind of blocker. And before we start a whole debate on what we should have to do to stop seeing this rubbish, lets give Gary the benefit of doubt and assume it’s just an oversight because he’s too busy jogging around the town.

ok so now i am really puzzled by this. some topics have ads in between and others don't.

Some of the ones that did have ads now no longer have and different topics that did not have ads now have ads.

also i still cannot understand why i get ebay adds for scantily clad scale models of asian schoolgirls...🤔

The motorbike stuff i can understand well apart from the lycra clad women posing with a bike just to advertise a round number plate.

Personally i thought she was selling the bike and clicked on it to find out what bike it was and how much. (honest)

I use uBlock Origin and I see no ads here. As a test I opened a new copy of Edge on Win10 and navigated to this topic. The filters removed one site only which was "googlesyndication.com". I have been using uBlock origin for about a month because of the appalling state of the other place in Warrington and the withdrawal of support for IE11. Newsquest are their own worst enemy as their ads delay rendering the page and deliberately delay the page so that clicking on an expected hotspot is where there is a actually a delayed rendering of an ad which the browser knows about but hasn't yet arrived in view. That effectively tricks you into clicking on an ad. If they controlled the ads carefully you could possibly trust them with that strategy but they don't exercise control. The worst example is where the whole outside of the page is actually ad un-rendered ad so you click on a blank area to deselect an element but it turns out that the clear area was not blank after all! Compared to that this place appears to just be google ads which I would guess have been put in by invision outside Gary's control.

In my experience, all message board like this exist purely to make money, either from the user’s direct subscriptions OR from selling advertising space. They pretty much all offer a free service, and ALL can control the advertising for a premium. If this one can’t it must be from MickyMouse.com.

I used to pay the subscriptions for my business forum on a two-yearly basis (about £100 a year) but I forgot to renew it one time and had a huge rash of complaints from customers.

The Warrington Guardian is a classic case where their site is unusable due to the advertising, unless of course you’re a smart arse capable of tinkering with the PC which most people are not. A small amount of advertising such as top and bottom banners is tolerable but I’m sure this is a case of not paying anything.

But I'll stand to be corrected.

Again, you shouldn’t need a technical expert before you can use this site and allowing it to go the same way as the Guardian forum went will be disappointing, especially for those with less abilities.

This sort of thing is normally limited to little obscure websites created by private individuals rather than a professional internet-based business.

Bill, the WG is owned by Newsquest who control their page formats centrally including the targeting of adverts, you can see that from visiting more than one of their sites. They aim to make a lot of their revenue from those ads, as do other local newspaper publishers who have publicly stated as much on Radio4's The Media Show. Newsquest deliberately target ads to delay rendering just above the comments button and they treat the commenters and those who comment as a prime source of revenue that effectively self selects. If you use an ad-blocker they send a banner that blocks off a large part of the screen asking you to think again so making reading more difficult - but still possible..

From what has been said the ads on this site have been moving about which rather suggests that they are being sent at places chosen by the publisher, which is Invision and not Gary. The adverts are being sent by Google based on your tracking history. Google may know a lot but they don't always use it accurately. I expect that Invision are experimenting to see if they can improve their take in this way and an ad-blocker is possibly the best way to give them no for an answer. I don't see that Gary should be in any way criticised for using an off-the shelf package. The Invision people are probably trying to exploit the stickiness of comment histories on such sites. If I am wrong I expect Gary will tell us in due course. This forum is really not an integral part of the Warrington-Worldwide internet site, to me , it looks like a public spirited add-on from Gary which is just a cost to him.

The add blocker i use can be set to allow some ads but i do not have it enabled on this site or forum.

I do have it enabled on the guardian website but only because if i didn't i would have to wait for about an hour for it to finish loading the page every time i clicked on a news article.

You may think that is exaggerating a bit but it isn't. I actually timed it once whilst i was updating something on my laptop and not using the desktop for anything else.