Too many cows -

Seems green advisors to Gov are recommending a 20% reduction in the number of cattle raised by farmers, in order to cut down on greenhouse gas emissions !   Apparently cattle farts are estimated to contribute 14% methane to our atmosphere.  This will mean a reduction in eating meat and drinking milk,  to which science is offering ground insect burgers as an alternative source of protein ! Now if animal farts are causing such a problem for the future of the enviroment, shouldn't that include 7 billion humans too ?   

• Haha 1

More Global Boring rubbish, but even if it is a problem how would replacing meat with ground up insects help? Insects produce methane as well and, if we were to all change to eating insects, we would have to breed and grow tonnes of creepy crawlies.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Evil Sid said:

well we could always cultivate vegans.🍖:wink:

Wouldn't they fart more than the cows ? I am surprised some entrepreneur hasn't come up with a way of using the excess gas off cattle as a power source.

Our MPs seem to do very well off bullsh!=.

• Upvote 1

They are looking into capturing the methane given off when dams get low and the methane produced by the rotting vegetation in the water gets released.

Cannot see why they cannot do something similar with cows although that would mean that they would need to be penned up 24 hours a day for it to be practical.

I do also wonder how much is produced by elephants, at least twice as much as a cow i would have thought.

Rhinoseroserouses similarly must produce a fair bit over their lifetimes.

Hippopotomuses must produce even more not just bodily but by disturbing the riverbeds and releasing methane trapped there as well.

And just wait until the methane heating up the earth melts more of the Arctic ice and releases the methane bubbles there. (can they not tap into this and use it to produce energy).

"were all doomed DOOOOOMED i tell ye" :roll:

Put these in the cows feed. Problem sorted!

Message to self.... read the post properly Bill

Just a thought though, why a 20% reduction? Is that some kind of magical calculation designed to save the planet or a guesstimate based on a guesstimate? 

Bill :) 

Bill, obviously 20% is the number scribbled on the back of the same fag packet which has the BMI calculation and maximum allowed number of alcohol units per week allowance. Recently added is Clown Prince Charlie's 18 month estimate of the end of the world as we know it unless we do something immediately!

The committee on climate change did indeed just choose the number by making it up along with other fantasy numbers. They want the reduction in eating AS WELL as feeding the cattle more digestible foodstuffs as advocated by Algy!

However for me their credibility is shot to pieces because it is part of the ludicrous zero-carbon by 2050 pushed by £Trillion  May and the chairman of the committee is none other than John Selwyn Gummer, who is also proposing genetic modifications to plants and animals. What could possibly go wrong, and do these people never learn!

• Upvote 1