Huawei ?

Observer II

it is also essential that it is secure

Think that answers your question really.

Uk and security have a nodding acquaintance at best when it comes to technology.

From what i can gather the 5G network is mainly aimed at people who cannot do without an internet connection so that they can watch the latest films/tv or play candy crush wherever they go and will panic if they cant send a text message to their mate who is sitting on the chair opposite them in the same room.

Yes a mobile phone is useful, especially these days if you run your own business and are out on site a lot. They are great if you need to contact somebody in an emergency such as a breakdown or an accident.

They are a pain though when you get unsolicited calls asking your opinion on the best funeral plan or ,as in my case being a pay as you go customer< when you get three text messages from your provider telling you that you have just topped up by ten pounds. I know i have just topped up by ten pounds as i have just been to the shop and paid my ten pounds to the girl who topped my phone up with the swipe card. I do not need a text message whilst i am stood waiting for my receipt telling me i have just topped up.🤬🤪

*deep breath, slowly release and calm*

• Upvote 1

Clearly a lack of foresight by past UK Governments to allow such technology to be lost to the private and foreign sector, when it's clearly strategically vital.  As for  the rest -  if walking into traffic whilst looking into a phone, is the future, they can have it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, asperity said:

As long as you don't let any forum admin secrets slip out Dizz 😏

I don't know any secrets either....

In fact I'm pretty dumb and everything I do know is just what the little fairies tell me who live in my garden, and they get all their info from the elves who live along the canal bank... who get their info from the three legged troll who lives under the swing bridge.  I've no idea where he gets his info from though..... 

Back on topic, the simple truth is tha Britain hasn’t got the technological nous or people to complete the project , and thus need foreign expertise.  Poor observer is trapped in the past days of empire when Britain used to be at the forefront of things and a super power,  sad really

• Downvote 1

it is a major threat because people have been made reliant on gadgets to do more and more for them.

Growing up if i wanted to listen to music i would either have to play a record or turn on the radio. now all i have to do is say what music i want to listen to and some gadget will play that music.

if i wanted to watch a certain tv program i had to make sure i was sat in front of the tv at the time it was broadcast. now i can sit in a darkened cave in the outer Hebrides and watch that program whenever i want to regardless of when it was first broadcast.

If i wanted to check my bank account i had to either wait for the monthly statement or go to the bank and join the queue to talk to the person at the counter. now i do not even have to get out of bed.

ok some things are handy to have such as a mobile phone, but do i really need a toaster or kettle that i can turn on from the other side of the world. About as much use as an egg slicer to my mind.

i may not quite be a luddite or old fashioned but i am getting there slowly.🤦‍♂️

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Dizzy said:

I have a Huawei mobile phone and tablet...both are very good.

I'm not too concerned though as I don't know any really good jokes :D

Huawei,  I'm fine thanks Huawei U

I also have a Huawei tablet Dizz and my wife has an ipad and comparing quality and price I think the Huawei is far better value.

7 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

it is a major threat because people have been made reliant on gadgets to do more and more for them.

Growing up if i wanted to listen to music i would either have to play a record or turn on the radio. now all i have to do is say what music i want to listen to and some gadget will play that music.

if i wanted to watch a certain tv program i had to make sure i was sat in front of the tv at the time it was broadcast. now i can sit in a darkened cave in the outer Hebrides and watch that program whenever i want to regardless of when it was first broadcast.

If i wanted to check my bank account i had to either wait for the monthly statement or go to the bank and join the queue to talk to the person at the counter. now i do not even have to get out of bed.

ok some things are handy to have such as a mobile phone, but do i really need a toaster or kettle that i can turn on from the other side of the world. About as much use as an egg slicer to my mind.

i may not quite be a luddite or old fashioned but i am getting there slowly.🤦‍♂️

Sid,

It really isn't the gadgets that I see as a problem. The services we all depend on in turn depend on computers and networks. Even food distribution depends on getting the lorries with enough fuel to take food from producers to distribution warehouses to the right shops. A major disruption in any of these mundane service chains can have a serious effect because there are no stocks any more. The Police, the NHS the Fire Services will soon depend entirely on the EE 4G network. The network is not just the Internet but all those things carried invisibly over the same data connections. Finally there are the databases whose integrity is vital to keep the emergency service and everything else working. That is the kind of targets, plus the energy and water sector that are made risky by bad choices.

In my opinion the risk from allowing Huawei into the edge part of the 5G network is overstated but when the Internet of Things arrives the core network has to be secure. The problem about the things I describe is that you don't see how dependent you are on these things for day to day life and the effects that a disruption could bring. If you can remember the miner's strikes and the power cuts then imagine how much more we depend on computers and networks you will begin to appreciate the scale of the potential risk. 

• Upvote 2

I agree it is not the gadgets, it is the dependence on them and the underlying technology. If the system stops working for any reason then people panic because they don't know what to do without their link to the electronic world.

Always amuses me when i see people wandering around waving their phones above their heads because they have no signal. As if the extra three foot will make it find one.

centuries ago people sailed around the oceans without even a map for guidance, these days people can make it out of the back garden without a sat nav.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Observer II said:

So he was interviewed in the bog then ?

How are you seeing my posts?  You told everyone you had blocked me.  You just can’t keep away can you.  Farage spent the entire evening evading the press, go read about it.