Which side are you on

Stallard12

Just been reading about the great Manchester wine disaster.  Made me think of other examples of elitist stupidity.  In my opinion, after looking at old master paintings, Picasso and Lowry etc have got to be a hoax.  Am I wrong?  Maybe I'm just a Philistine.

reminds me of the  time i knocked over and broke a ming dynasty vase. The curator dashed over to me and said "oh my god that was a one of a kind, hand decorated by the great Chur nemout" i looked at the pieces and asked "was it expensive" "You cannot put a price on it" he said "oh worthless then" my solemn reply.

Art is what you make of it. one man's art is another man's pile of bricks.;-)

As usual the opening poster is talking a load of Jackson Pollacks ;)  Guernica by Picasso is widely acclaimed as the greatest anti war painting in history so hardly a "hoax".  LS Lowry not only put the industrial landscapes of the north onto the art map, he also painted some haunting portraits.  A quick trip to the Lowry exhibition may prove educational and informative.

I have a signed van dyke painting at home. I tell you Dick van Dyke is a better actor than painter.🤭

Art is what you make of it. Three black dots arranged in a triangle on a white background and labelled as a polar bear in snow. If done by me would be laughed at by everyone..if it was done by say Picasso or one of the other well known painters, it would be lauded as a masterpiece and fought over by people who have more money than several banks could count.

I once heard a very humorous description of the difference between art and lewd paintings. if it has urns it is art, if it has cherubs it is art, if it has a potted plant, on a stand it just scrapes through as art, anything else is just lewd pictures.

Years ago spray painting on a wall was classed as vandalism, now it sells for thousands of pounds and is classed as art.

I understand what stallard is saying. it is not the art as such he is saying is a hoax but the pretension of the people who will go into raptures over a certain wine that to your average person would be just fizzy vinegar in a fancy bottle.

Sniffs glass,takes a sip of wine, swills round mouth, stares meaningly at ceiling and then says,"oh it a chateau naff de pope, 1820 (or twenty five past six at the latest), grown from grapes on the sunny side of the hill in the vineyard situated seven foot eight inches from the friary of st Herbert. stomped by a left handed leprechaun with a squint and bottled  in hand blown glass from the desserts of africa with a cork specially imported from the sacred cork trees of the outer Himalayas and harvested using ancient techniques known only to three ancient masters of the temple ding dong in the valley of Avonk a ling. Am i right?" "nah mate fifty pence a bottle at bargain booze"

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Stallard12 said:

Good one Sid, almost missed that.  You're right, I was mocking the dumb, elitist snobs.  Do we know any of those ?

You’re in the right place for dumb,  elitist and snobs are thinner on the ground but if you look you will find them.  Just because you can’t understand or appreciate something doesn’t make it elitist, that’s just inverted snobbery.  Not surprised an American redneck doesn’t appreciate an anti war work of Art to be honest.

For those who may be interested. Aldi are looking for wine tasters to try their range.

Out of curiosity are there any pro war works of art?

it would interesting to know for comparison between pro and anti war artists.

As i see it art can be appreciated by all, regardless of whether it makes a statement or not , is a splatter of paint on a canvas or just shows a bunch of grapes in a bowl on  a table.

12 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Out of curiosity are there any pro war works of art?

it would interesting to know for comparison between pro and anti war artists.

For many centuries artists have glorified war and battles and the slaying of the enemy, going back at least to the ancient Egyptians

What does differentiate the scribblings of a child from some similar works by artists on canvas that are said to be worth mega bucks ?  I will be decorating this weekend & accidentally stepping  in the paint tray could make me the creator of a masterpiece & hideously wealthy or just the clown who made a mess on the floor.

9 hours ago, asperity said:

I think you have to be dead before your "genius" is recognised and the "discoverer" of said "genius" makes the mega bucks. 🤣

I’m pretty sure David Hockney, for one, would disagree with this,  one of this living artists works recently sold for over 90 million dollars.

Top 10 Richest Artists Net Worth 2019
  • Jeff Koons- (Net Worth $200 million) ... 
  • David Choe (Net Worth $200 Million) ... 
  • Andrew Vicari (Net Worth $142 million) ... 
  • Takashi Murakami (Net Worth $92 million) ... 
  • Anish Kapoor (Net Worth $85 million) ... 
  • Antony Gormley (Net Worth $50 million) ... 
  • Gerhard Richter (Net Worth $40 million) ... 
  • David Hockney (Net Worth $40 million)

A *blackboard covered in white scribbles by the American abstract artist Cy Twombly fetched a record $70.5 million (£47 million) at auction at Sotheby’s in 1968. The piece made history not only as the highest price lot in the Contemporary Art Evening sale but also as the most expensive work sold at Sotheby’s worldwide so far in that year.

* Not PC, perhaps 'Slate Grey Board'.

ctp-results-twombly_zpsgsqymrly.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Confused52 said:

Algy, being uneducated in these matters I am waiting for PJ to explain its significance

I am genuinely sad that the education system failed you, but can't be arsed filling in the gaps lol

• Downvote 1