The Walk

francine

We went! First Walk I've been to for about 20 years, I decided to bring my children so they can experience at least one Walk in their lives. I loved it but my kids weren't impressed, a 500 mile round trip, special permission to take them out of school - and they were distinctly underwhelmed! Oh well, we can but try. 

Same here Tracey.  I took two of mine a few years ago.  They just didn't get it.  I'm all into reminiscing about the yearly family get together for the walk and having tea at grandma's in two and three sittings afterwards, and then the dash to the fairground.  Not in the least bit impressed.

I did take them to the fair at Walton and they enjoyed that even though they didn't have the same excitement as we had.

Blimey Tracey that's one heck of an effort and distance travelled just to go to Warrington Walking Day :shock:   Gary should put a news story together about you and your families huge effort to go  as we only live just over a mile from Warrington and I've not been Warr walking day for probably longer than you. 

We have our own here in Stockton Heath and I do try to go (mainly to see the pipe band etc and the chap who throws his orb in the air) but it has definitely lost it's special sparkle, meaning and excitement compared to how it used to be years ago.   I guess time and people change things though.

It's not that impressive Dizz! We come back to Warrington regularly, their school was closed on Thursday anyway for the Norfolk Show so we only had to get Friday off for them. Diss is a similar size to Stockton Heath and we had our own little carnival a couple of weeks ago, the girls loved that because it was floats rather than just vicars and paster saints so more interesting to them. I did realise yesterday that I haven't heard a brass band for years, they don't have them down south, all the music at our carnival came from speakers on the floats, the Morris dancers and a pipe band.

We went! First Walk I've been to for about 20 years, I decided to bring my children so they can experience at least one Walk in their lives. I loved it but my kids weren't impressed, a 500 mile round trip, special permission to take them out of school - and they were distinctly underwhelmed! Oh well, we can but try. 

If you had let me know in advance I could have probably arranged a VIP tour of town hall and made it extra special - and featured you in the coverage!

I'll be going the next one.

I wouldn't bother Wolfie..... most of the inside of the Town Hall is just like a tatty old house in Arpley Street that has been refurbished with stuff from B & Q apart from the Entrance hall and the Council Chamber (which are a bit fancy)......

The lofts are the best bit with all the old telephone wiring, the basement is good too with the old storage vaults and the view from the flag pole is quite good too!!

riveting stuff!!

I thought about getting married there. Is it marriage material from the inside?

Definetly not sadako. Unlike Baz I never toured the lofts and basements, the silver display is worth seeing especially the solid silver model of the Walker Fountain, Baz I can't believe you shinned up the flag pole though!!.

If you had let me know in advance I could have probably arranged a VIP tour of town hall and made it extra special - and featured you in the coverage!

Does that mean we could've sat in the damp VIP seating area! Never mind there's always next year - the kids'd be thrilled to see it again  :roll:

I thought about getting married there. Is it marriage material from the inside?

I'm going to a wedding there next month, I'll let you know!

Thankfully I can't see myself on any of them Gary as that would have been a bit spooky....but I did spot see 'Bernie the Bagpipe' player.

Question... were there two pipe (bagpipe) bands in the procession this year ? 

Am I the only one who thinks the Friday walking day should be confined to history and moved to a Sunday with more of a carneval theme with floats and desplays as well as the traditional churchs walk.

My nieces' school (St Vincent) does not even take part anymore and is a normal school day (their headmaster and the people who run the school must be a bunch of  exciting fun filled people).

I try to get to see the walking day but not always possible as need to work (well occasionally), along with most people.

Coffee.... you would upset so many teachers who see it as an opportunity to have an inset day after strike day so they can disrupt everyone's lives just that little bit more and get a long weekend out of it to add to their meagre holiday allowance....

or is that just me!?

I thought the actual date of an inset day was decided by the school..... no good having an inset day that covers walking day in Warrington if you live in Salford?.... an awful lot of schools apparently took the Friday after the strike as an inset day though!