The Walk

francine

Sorry, I couldn't say wolfie as it slightly different for us. I teach 16-19 and ours are usually at the end of the breaks. We had one yesterday but then our students have already left (different term dates to Warrington and the strikes caused no impact to parents and students despite what people may think). I believe that they all have to have a set number that is determined by the government. I'll look into it as I'm quite curious myself.

Why IS Warrington Walking day on a Friday when all the other villages have always had theirs on a Saturday as they are all church events too.

I guess Warrington Walking day probably came first and although the others followed suit years later presumably they must have realised that Friday's were not a good idea. 

Thinking about it though if the main Warrington Walking day was on a Saturday these days the road closures may well interfere with shoppers coming in on the roads from further afield for a Saturday spending spree  whereas still having it on a Friday really only affects those of us who are already here and we can bypass the closed roads to get to' wherever else' we are going if we have to or go along to watch the walk if we are lucky (or not) enough to not be in work etc. 

I was on a roll there and all sorts of other things were springing to mind and was about to mention inset days too but the oven's beeping... damn gotta go (good I hear you say)

PS Sunday's would be a good idea though like already said.

Why IS Warrington Walking day on a Friday when all the other villages have always had theirs on a Saturday as they are all church events too.

This local tradition has its origins in the early 19th century in the days when religion played a much larger part in people’s lives than today and Christian festivals were also a rare opportunity for a local holiday. In 1801 the first annual Sunday School procession was introduced in Manchester at Whitsuntide and by 1813 the idea of an outing for Sunday School children after the procession had become common in many North West mill towns.

By 1834 the idea of Warrington Walking Day was already established, possibly begun by Rector Horace Powys (pictured left). The procession took place in early to mid June on the last Friday of the Newton race meeting, as a counter-attraction to the dangers of drunkenness and gambling!

Go here for the full article:-

http://www.warringtonmuseum.co.uk/local-history/how-did-warringtons-walking-day-begin/