Where's it gone?

harry hayes

Harry... just checked on one of the techy forums I visit.... if you are using internet explorer... have a look below,

"To correct this issue, follow the methods that are described in this section in the order in which they are presented until the issue is resolved.

You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.

These methods are designed for beginning to intermediate computer users. After each method, refresh Internet Explorer to check whether the problem is resolved. If the problem is not resolved, try the next method.

Method 1: See whether pictures are available on another Web site

Sometimes the link to a picture on a Web site is broken, and that is why a picture is not being displayed. Visit another Web site to determine whether pictures are being displayed correctly on it. If they are being displayed correctly, then there is nothing wrong with Internet Explorer. Instead, the Web site that you are visiting might be broken.

If you can view pictures on another Web site, you are finished. If you do not see any pictures or if you cannot determine whether the Web site that you are visiting is broken, try clearing your temporary Internet files by using method 2.

Note If you use Internet Explorer 8, try Compatibility View. To do this, start Internet Explorer 8, click Compatibility View Settings on the Tools menu, and then add the Web site that you want to view by using Compatibility View.

Method 2: Clear temporary Internet files

Clearing your temporary Internet files creates more space on your hard disk. If your hard disk is close to being full, this could affect your ability to view pictures on a Web site.

To clear temporary Internet files, follow these steps:

Internet Explorer 8

1.Start Internet Explorer 8.

2.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3.On the General tab, click Delete under Browsing History.

4.In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, click to clear all of the check boxes except for the Temporary Internet Files check box, and then click Delete.

5.Click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Internet Explorer 7

1.Start Internet Explorer 7.

2.On the Tools menu, click Delete Browsing History.

3.In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, click Delete Files.

4.Click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Internet Explorer 6 and earlier versions

1.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2.On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet files.

3.Click to select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK.

4.Click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Check whether you can now see pictures. If you still cannot see pictures, try method 3.

Method 3: Verify that the Show Pictures option has not been turned off

If the Show Pictures option in Internet Explorer is turned off, you cannot see pictures. To determine whether the Show Pictures option is turned off, follow these steps: 1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and then verify that the Show Pictures check box is selected under Multimedia.

3. Click OK.

Determine whether you can now see pictures. If you still cannot see pictures, try method 4.

Method 4: Enable scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, and Java programs

Enable scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, and Java programs to make sure that your computer is set up to enable Web pages to run the way that they were designed to.

To do this, follow these steps: 1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2. Click the Security tab, and then click Default Level (if it is available) for the zone that contains the Web page (for example, the Internet zone).

3. If you are using Internet Explorer 6, click the Privacy tab, and then click Default (if it is available).

Check whether you can now see pictures. If you still cannot see pictures, you must do some advanced troubleshooting. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to check the "Next Steps" section for some other resources that you can use for help.

Back to the top

Advanced troubleshooting

Method 1: Verify that the image type is supported by Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer displays images with .art, .wmf, .emf, .png, .mov, .xbm, .avi, .mpg, .gif, .jpg, .mpeg, and .bmp extensions.

Right-click the red X or the placeholder for the image, and then click Properties. Verify that the image type is supported by Internet Explorer by examining the Type or Address (URL) values in the Properties dialog box. For example, a Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) file lists GIF Image for the Type value. The Address (URL) value ends with .gif.

If the image type is not supported by Internet Explorer, you are finished. If the image type is supported, go to method 2.

Method 2: Make sure that the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory is not present and disabling images

The Toggle Images.exe program can be set to disable images. Make sure that it is set to show images.

If you have the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory installed, click the Toggle Images.exe link on the Links Bar in Internet Explorer to turn on images.

Note If the Links bar is not visible, right-click a blank area of the toolbar and verify that there is a check mark next to Links. If the Toggle Images.exe link is not visible on the Links bar, click the arrow with two angle brackets on the rightmost side of the Links bar.

If this method solved your problem, you are finished. If you still cannot see pictures, go to method 3.

Method 3: Make sure that a third-party Internet security, firewall, or cookie-blocking program is not causing the problem

If you are using a third-party Internet security, firewall, or cookie-blocking program, contact the manufacturer of the program for information about how to enable scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, Java programs, advertisements, and HTTP referral information. For example, if you have Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) installed, visit the following Symantec Corporation Web sites for more information about the various settings in these products that could cause the behavior that this article describes:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf/29dd58255a9a57a585256ee600556cc1/73af2219f66216e585256ede00518e72?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/429934053165308488256d8e0076af48/77ee338ff06cf3b5882568a1006a69a3?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

If you access the Internet through a local area network (LAN), contact the administrator of your LAN to verify that scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, Java programs, advertisements, and HTTP referral information are not blocked by a firewall or by other security features on the network.

If this method solved your problem, you are finished. If you still cannot see pictures, go to method 4.

Method 4: Enable the Auto-Select encoding option

In Internet Explorer 7 or in Internet Explorer 8, on the Page menu, point to Encoding. If a check mark does not appear next to Auto-Select, click Auto-Select.

In Internet Explorer 6, on the View menu, point to Encoding. If a check mark does not appear next to Auto-Select, click Auto-Select.

If this method solved your problem, you are finished. If you still cannot see pictures, go to method 5.

Method 5: Make sure that the encoding option is set to the correct language

In Internet Explorer 7 or in Internet Explorer 8, on the Page menu, point to Encoding, and then click the appropriate language for the Web page that you are trying to view. For example, if the Web page is in English (United States), click Western European (ISO) or click Western European (Windows).

In Internet Explorer 6, on the View menu point to Encoding, and then click the appropriate language for the Web page that you are trying to view. For example, if the Web page is in English (United States), click Western European (ISO) or click Western European (Windows).

If the required language is not available on the View menu in Internet Explorer 6 or on the Page menu in Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps to add it: 1.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2.On the General tab, click Languages, and then click Add.

3.Click the appropriate language, and then click OK.

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

If this method solved your problem, you are finished. If you still cannot see pictures, go to the "Next Steps" section.

If it helps Harry I am using IE 8 and I am having no problems seeing the pictures at all and have never had any problems. However, my temp internet files etc are deleted daily so I'd try what Baz recomended ie clear your temp files.

Re the instuctions above for IE 8... I just click tools then Delete Browsing History and I delete everything other than the 'Preserve Favourites Website Data'.

Harry, sounds like you've got what I had a few weeks back where you'd see something briefly then it just disappears leaving a blank.

If it’s the same, it only takes one click to fix so look right at the very top of your screen for a little icon that looks like a broken piece of paper. It’s called compatibility view and it’s normally right next to the refresh button and hence all too easy to click by mistake.

If it’s on, then just turn it off and Bingo the jobs a good un!

See what I said in the forum problems section.

Bill :)

Harry, sounds like you've got what I had a few weeks back where you'd see something briefly then it just disappears leaving a blank.

If it’s the same, it only takes one click to fix so look right at the very top of your screen for a little icon that looks like a broken piece of paper. It’s called compatibility view and it’s normally right next to the refresh button and hence all too easy to click by mistake.

If it’s on, then just turn it off and Bingo the jobs a good un!

See what I said in the forum problems section.

Bill :)

But bear in mind that it's a useful little button that can be used in reverse, i.e. when I have had problems accessing some sites I have pressed the compatability button and, problem gone, the site was accessed.

p.s. Like just now, for example, when I pressed the edit button to correct a typo, the page went blank so I pressed the compatability button and WALLAH! everything came back.

Can you pop back and see if he's caught anything yet and tell him his wenches are painting his shed pink and putting fluffy bunnies and flowery wallpaper on as we speak and have made him a lovely salad and warm drink of lemon infused water. Another stunning picture by the way :wink:

Joking aside I'm a bit worried now as I just checked and he was last active on here at 6.27am on 24 September although he didn't post.

His last post was on the 17th after his repeated requests and invites to us all to 'pop in for a quick one' and he talked about the 'Rat and Trumpet' but none of us went and the day before he'd been making his Cornish Pie for his beloved bride .... on the 17th he said his tum was a bit off but not as bad as his jogging bottoms :shock:

OMG I hope poor Wingy hasn't been sitting on a toilet ever since waiting for his trusted wenches to rescue him by taking some toilet roll.

I had Wingys blummin email address that he sent me until Gary made me clear my inbox out too the other day so I could have emailed him to check. Bloody hell Gary.... I unclogged myself just for you and Wingy might need toilet paper and unclogging too !!

Wingy.. where are you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Harry..... have you sorted YOUR photo problem out yet :oops: