Brexit

Stallard12

All governments since Thatcher's first term as PM have resulted in our industries being stripped back or systematically being taken over by overseas companies ,decimating the workforce  & using the money to woo the voters with low taxation. Mass unemployment was created  but was spirited away by "long term sick " coming into play & by splitting jobs into  low hour ,part time jobs that could mop up 2 or 3 workers  who could then be supported by benefits that were not called "dole".

2 hours ago, Observer II said:

I understand that Asp;  and even if we revert to WTO tariffs, that will be applied both ways, so tit for tat; but my point is about just how we've slipped into dependency over 40 years.  Who would have believed an economy the size of ours, doesn't produce it's own insulin - crazy.

The WTO only sets the maximum tariffs that can be set. There is nothing that says we can't set the tariffs at 0% (only that we would have to set the same tariffs on the imports from everywhere else). If the EU wants to set high tariffs on imports from the UK it's up to them, but they would be the ones paying more for our goods not us paying more for theirs.

I don't know about you Obs, but I produce my own Insulin! Okay only kidding, but the point is that an economy the size of ours can afford to buy Insulin from whoever produces it for the best price - the whole point of world trade. If you become insular (no pun implied) you cut off the supply of goods from the rest of the world and make yourself poorer as a result. And by tying ourselves to the EU we have made ourselves poorer by restricting our trade with the rest of the world to only those countries and commodities that the EU bureaucrats decree.

• Upvote 1

I'm not advocating "becoming insular", but rather less "dependent".   Whilst in certain areas such as food, I'm not sure we can produce enough for home consumption in any case. Certainly the essentials should be protected and the skills that go with it.  I agree with your point in your last sentence,  the EU is nothing more than a glorified protection racket.

We've got HMG ministers touring the EU, cap in hand, begging Leaders to support a deal. The fundemental reality is, that they can't give us anything like a good deal, as anything seen as remotely "good" will attract other EU States to exit too, and mean the collapse of their house of cards. So given that they wish to force us into a humiliating deal, it would seem the only option that retains any dignity for the UK, is to crash out without a deal and pay them nothing.  

• Upvote 1

And this stops Germany invading France how?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/02/roofer-fined-300-carrying-sandwich-wrappers-crisp-packets-van/

The council is only following EU regulations:

Overview
You must register if you do any of these things as part of your business:

transport waste
buy, sell or dispose of waste
arrange for someone else to buy, sell or dispose of waste
You can be fined up to £5,000 if you don’t register.

Registration is usually free if you only transport waste you produce yourself. Otherwise, registration costs £154.

Then, if he was to have put something in it that could identify him,he could be done for fly tipping. fly tipping being a criminal offence can have a fine up to a £50,000 or a 12 months free holiday at her majesties finest hotel, all inclusive. unless it is tried in a crown court that is and then there is no upper limit on the fine and the holiday could be extended to five years.

Had he simply lobbed it out the van window and been caught he would probably get the fine of £150 for littering.

Edmund King, president of motoring organisation the AA, said: "There is no excuse for car litter louts.

"Tossing rubbish from vehicles spoils the environment, costs millions and puts road workers' lives at risk when they have to clear up.

"The majority of our members support higher fines for littering and we welcome these steps to tackle this unnecessary problem.

"It is not difficult for car occupants to bag it and bin it."

Would he have been fined it he had put it in an asda carrier bag?

Perhaps the nature of the multi-national corporations, and the weakness of the EU,  has been exposed by Trump's latest sanctions on Iran. Whilst the EU remains committed to the Iran Nuclear Peace deal, and has said it will back EU companies maintaining trade with Iran; Trump has threatened to penalise any companies trading with Iran - result, European Corporations are pulling out of trade deals with Iran.  Such is the power, or rather lack of it, of the EU; which has been sold to us as an all powerfull trading bloc.  At the end of the day, profits trump principles, and the US seem to be holding all the cards.     :ph34r: