Brexit

Stallard12

The Brexit vote was a couple of months before I retired, and it did wonders for my pension funds. So much for "financial meltdown". People seem to forget that we don't live in a bubble, we live in a world that is expanding socially and financially which is a good reason for us to throw off the EU straitjacket.

Not really, it just puts things into perspective - the EU will suffer as much, if not more than we do; so we can afford to be rather more forcefull in dealing with them.    It's like two wrestlers holding on to each other's vitals, saying " we're not going to hurt each other, are we ?"     :D

Seems the EU really doesn't want to let us (and all that money )  go.  The latest from the EU Parliament is to keep Ulster in the single market to avoid a hard border with Eire.   This from an organisation that's allowed millions of illegal immigrants to enter it through it's "borders".  The more they bleat, the more and quicker I want to LEAVE.       :ph34r:

Point 1, Ulster and Northern Ireland are not the same entity in that Northern Ireland is part of Ulster, but Ulster does not consist of just the Province of Northern Ireland.

Point 2. Once we leave the EU the border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, and the control of trade across that border, is in the hands of the EU. If they want a hard border then it's up to them to make one and maintain it, not up to the UK to do it for them. Their problem not ours.

• 5 months later...

..... and in the Commons, the Brexit Cttee, chaired by Judas Benn;  has produced a report calling for an extension on our Leave date to get the best deal - the reality of course being, that this coven of Remoaners merely want to prevent us leaving the EU.     :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

With both Houses of Parliament being dominated by Remoaners, we have the prospect of them trying to keep us in the Customs Union; which, in effect, would mean we won't actually leave the EU, and won't be able to sign unilateral trade deals elsewhere.  Hopefully, the PM will persist in efforts to leave the CU, and if the Remoaners wish to sabotage negotiations on "a deal"; then let's quit with no deal; pay them nothing and leave them with a 20% hole in their budget.     :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

I must say ,i find all this sabre rattling by the EU very confusing. They didn't want anything to do with the border issue  when some unscrupulous citizens of non member Eire  were exploiting the lax border to claim millions of pounds in grants for cattle that had literally been recycled through the border many times & they didn't seem to do much towards solving the "troubles".

... and they're now considering upping the subs for membership of the EU, due to Brexit taking 20% of their budgets. So those members that have grown used to being in net receipt of EU funding (paid by us), will now have to cough up some cash - which I'm sure they won't like; indeed, to the point where some will decide they'll be better off out of it.   :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

... and the big corporations haven't ceased whining since the referendum, with threats of doom and gloom, appeals for more time and more clarity; and all threatening job losses.  Perhaps if they looked at their buisiness models, which are totally entangled in the EU, things might not look so bleak. The mini, that icon of past British car manufacturing,  apparently has it's headlights made in Italy, it's rear lights made in Poland, all of which have to be transported (with those enviroment polluting road miles) for assembly in the UK.   Now this seems to have more to do with the politics of EU employment than the efficient production of a car, so why aren't these companies siting their production elements in one place, thus removing any dependency on out sourcing components and it's dependency on HGV road miles ?