Carlton Club

Tracey Bennett

Very interesting Tracey - I used to work in the Carlton when Bill Medland had it either behind the bar or if one of the doormen didn't turn in on the door with Walter and Norman. It was said that many Motown acts played there on their way up and and then again on their way down. I remember seeing on the North West News a while back that someone in Bewsey/Dallam has an extensive archive of Carlton stuff but do not have his details. Maybe he is on here?...

Thanks for the memories.

Peridot

Don't you lot ever Google anything!,

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=o.2730553478&type=3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uk_greg/4376257952/

Reported in the Warrington Guardian, Mon July 26th 1999.

Music man recalls Carlton Club's legendary years

A SHOWBIZ impresario who was forced to hand over the keys to the Carlton Club after a licensing wrangle looked back this week on a 35-year love affair with the nightspot.

Former Carlton owner Derek McCulloch, aged 52, of Thynne Street, was made bankrupt last month following the collapse of the club in January.

Last October, licensing officers provoked outrage from regulars when they revoked the club's late opening licence. An undercover police operation had revealed that it had temporarily failed to provide food on the premises, as its licence required.

Next week will mark 20 years since Derek signed the deeds to the club, taking over from his friend and mentor, Bill Medland, who ran the Carlton through the 'sixties.

During that time, the club played host to musical legends including Edwin Starr, Wilson Pickett, Eric Clapton and Jackie Wilson.

For nine years, under Derek's supervision, the club's famous soul and disco nights pulled in fans from all over the country, including many future stars.

Said Derek: "We had people like Rick Astley, footballer John Barnes, and Heather Small of M-People turning up. Rick sang 'Never Gonna Give You Up' live for the first time at the Carlton. Chris Evans worked for me at the time, and it was me who convinced him he had a broadcasting voice and told him how to go into radio.

Besides managing glam rockers like Mudd and Sweet from his agency at the Lion Hotel, Derek helped launch Hott Waxx records which soon became the biggest independent record shop outside of London.

Added Derek: "I was also asked to manage Lisa Stansfield - and I said I was too busy! I don't like to be reminded of that!"

But it was through playing with his bands, Technique and Last Orders, that Derek really indulged his love of music.

Having started off at the Cavern in the Beatles' era, Derek has played alongside Marc Bolan and T-Rex, Pink Floyd, Gary Glitter and the Four Tops.

Said Derek: "I first went to the Carlton with my band, Technique, when I was 17 years old. Our big break came when we were offered a gig in the West Indies but we had to turn it down because the other lads wouldn't leave their jobs. A band called Ambrose Slade was pulled in to replace us at the last minute, and there they met Jimi Hendrix's manager. He renamed them Slade and the rest is history!"

Now, determined to keep on rocking, Derek has relaunched his singing career with a series of appearances in pubs throughout the north west, under the name of Derek Mack.

Said Derek: "I miss the Carlton but losing it has given us a different life. We did three years of grafting to claw it all back and then suddenly it was all gone.

"A couple of people have approached the owners, asking them about reopening it. It would be so easy - it would be packed out just by word of mouth. Warrington town centre is not the same without it."

Derek will appear at Friars Court, Barbould Street, on July 29, August 19, and Sept 9 at 9pm.

Very interesting Tracey - I used to work in the Carlton when Bill Medland had it either behind the bar or if one of the doormen didn't turn in on the door with Walter and Norman. It was said that many Motown acts played there on their way up and and then again on their way down. I remember seeing on the North West News a while back that someone in Bewsey/Dallam has an extensive archive of Carlton stuff but do not have his details. Maybe he is on here?...

Thanks for the memories.

Peridot

What year did

you work at the Carlton Peridot?  

How long was the Carlton actually open for? I used to go in the late 80's but I believe it began in the 60s? it'd be interesting to see the archive you mention, I'd also like to see more interior shots and wonder how the chap on the facebook page got access. 

Not a place I ever went in (well not that I remember anyway)  but may dad played guitar in a group and they used to play in various clubs in Warrington including the Carlton Club in the late 50's early 60's 

Demelzadoe

Hi - On and off during the early 70's when Bill's empire was at it's height. It was a question of you didn't know where you may be working at a given time until you saw the rosters or were told when you turned up - could be anywhere from the back bar in the Lion to the Seven Stars though that was not a popular shift for reasons which you may be well aware. It seemed to mark the breakup of Bill's business interests when he was refused planning permission to turn the Stars into a residential hotel. I was in Warrington a while back and it seemed sad to see Wiliam John Medland not listed as the Lion licensee through the security grille - the whole place looked derelict and probably is...

Peridot

The Carlton was the first nightclub I can remember from my teenage years but back then I wasn't really into the dancing and late night scene. There was a spell though when the club hosted rock nights and would bring in some really top groups of the time. Some of the groups must have had a bit of a shock when they saw how small the place was but that all added to the atmosphere. It's a shame that we don't have a club these days where you can enjoy good live music and a casual drink or meal.

Bill :)

Bill my first visit to the Carlton wasin the early 60s--  I lived in Clock  Face just past Bold Heath and we would walk it to the Griffin

and catch the H2 Crosville and spend the afternoon in the Carlton --i must say it was sunday noon --the problem was getting home after as there was no buses going back -----happy days.

Artie

I didn’t know the club was open during the day or maybe I’ve misinterpreted your post. For me it was the late sixties and early seventies but as a lowly apprentice at the time, I never had as much cash to spend as most of my mates, so the Carlton was a bit of a special treat. And back then it was always a walk home, the busses didn’t run late and taxis were out of the question. 

The last time I can remember going there was for what we were told was a striptease night. A whole gang of us lad turned up all ready and eager only to find we’d been wound up and it was in fact a pensioners night. :oops:  :mrgreen:

Bill :)