Fortnightly bin collections survey

Gary

Obs - You could put your ideas in the comments field on ways to reduce waste plus the info says

We have a dedicated Waste and Recycling Team who will help you with any questions or concerns. We also have help available via Contact Warrington each day, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm. We have provided a contact list of phone numbers, email addresses and website information at the end of this document. If you could complete the ‘Making the Move’ questionnaire and return this to us it will help the council make the changes in the right way

I’m sure that they would welcome your thoughts

The only issue I have with the form is that it only accepts alpha numeric i.e. you can’t put in the following “?/-: .”etc

Obs - You could put your ideas in the comments field on ways to reduce waste plus the info says

We have a dedicated Waste and Recycling Team who will help you with any questions or concerns. We also have help available via Contact Warrington each day, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm. We have provided a contact list of phone numbers, email addresses and website information at the end of this document. If you could complete the ‘Making the Move’ questionnaire and return this to us it will help the council make the changes in the right way

I’m sure that they would welcome your thoughts

The only issue I have with the form is that it only accepts alpha numeric i.e. you can’t put in the following “?/-: .”etc

Also doesn't give warrington worldwide as an option for distributing information!

You gave up just because you couldn't put an apostrophe in a word Eagle ????  :wacko:  Why didn't you just type dont or DO NOT instead.

I've not filled it in yet so no idea what all the question are but no doubt I'll probably find myself having a little whinge when I do :oops:  :lol:  

You gave up just because you couldn't put an apostrophe in a word Eagle ????  :wacko:  Why didn't you just type dont or DO NOT instead.

I've not filled it in yet so no idea what all the question are but no doubt I'll probably find myself having a little whinge when I do :oops:  :lol:  

Can't (or can not......just for you) be bothered.   I am not altering my way of speaking or spelling because some highly paid council employee is poor at his/her job.

Why didn't you put a question mark at the end of your question? Are you after a job at the council? :lol:

• Downvote 1

Completed it!, don't see why they wish to know my religion, colour of my skin, sexual orientation and a lot of what seemed to me to be irrelevant information though!, or is my gender the same as it was at birth, how the Hell! should I know I can't remember. :unsure:

sexual orientation was easy though, I just put neutral Oh Heck!, I should have put Neutered :oops:

Do they really ask all that Algy. 

Blimey I might leave mine until tomorrow now when I am more refreshed and less 'Friday night ish' as I might say something I may regret later in their comments box if they do.  I have put the empties in the blue bin and not the black one though :lol:  

Do they really ask all that Algy. 

Blimey I might leave mine until tomorrow now when I am more refreshed and less 'Friday night ish' as I might say something I may regret later in their comments box if they do.  I have put the empties in the blue bin and not the black one though :lol:  

Here's a copy of the Word Document Dizz.

‘Making the Move’

Alternate Weekly Collections

Your new fortnightly waste collection service

The council are looking to change the way that your waste collection service is provided. Currently the service is provided between Tuesday and Friday as below:

Refuse Collection [black bin rubbish] – is collected weekly

Recycling Collection [blue bin] – is collected fortnightly

In future we’re looking to provide the service differently, making it easier to remember which day is bin day. Our proposal is that

Refuse Collection [black bin] – will now be collected fortnightly

Recycling Collection [blue bin] – will still be collected fortnightly

One week we will make your refuse collection [black bin rubbish]

the following week we will make your recycling collection [blue bin].

If you have a green bin we’ll collect this on the same day as your blue bin.

Black and blue bin collections will be alternated so that your collection day will be the same day each week. For instance, if your black refuse bin is collected on a Tuesday, your blue bin will be collected the following week, also on a Tuesday.

We’re also going to make your green bin collection day the same day as your blue bin collection day. This will make collection days easier to remember and more convenient and will help save money on waste collection vehicles and fuel.

Waste collections will still take place between Tuesday and Friday.

Green bin collections [from all those homes with gardens] will still be collected fortnightly from February to November on the same day as your blue bin day!

Easier to understand

We’re making the changes for many reasons. We’re looking to improve the waste collection service that we provide for you, to make it easier to understand your collection day – instead of having several collection days for black, blue and green bins you will have one single day of collection each week. In recent years we have introduced blue bin and green bin recycling. Thanks to the efforts of householders like you we recycle far more than ever before. This has reduced the amount of rubbish collected from black bins. In changing the frequency of your refuse collection service we can provide an easier to understand service with less confusing collection days.

Difficult choices

The council has difficult choices to make. You will all be aware of the reduction to council budgets across the country. These reductions also apply to Warrington Borough Council. In ‘Making the Move’ to provide alternate weekly collections we are hoping to reduce the amount of money we spend on waste collection and disposal by £1 million per year. There will be no reduction in the quality of your waste collection service and ‘Making the Move’ will help to safeguard other council services.

Targets

The council has targets to reach for the amount of waste it collects, the amount of waste it recycles and for the amount of waste it sends for disposal. The more waste we collect for disposal and the less we recycle, the less likely we are to reach our targets and the more expensive the waste service becomes. In ‘Making the Move’ to alternate weekly collections we hope that more households will be encouraged to recycle, using the blue and green bin services that we provide for you at home.

Consultation

We would like to make the changes to the collection service from April 2013. The sooner we can make the changes, the better and more affordable the service will become. The move to alternate weekly collections will help make remembering collection days easier, increase our recycling rates, send less waste for disposal and save money that can be used to help protect other vital council services such as care for the elderly.

Help

We realise that some households will not find the move to alternate weekly collections an easy option. Please don’t worry – we will help you in ‘Making the Move’ with lots of advice and information on what you can recycle and how. We’ll help you with the green bin service and home composting, plus give you lots of handy information on producing less waste and saving money on your shopping bills by wasting less. We will work with you to help you in ‘Making the Move’.

We need your help in the attached consultation to seek your views on the move to alternate weekly collections. We would be very grateful if you could complete the questionnaire and return this to us. The information you provide will help us to help you in ‘Making the Move’.  

‘Making the Move’ Prize draw

We are also providing a prize-draw for those who return the questionnaire. You could win a meal for four at Walton Hall, have a free golf lesson at our golf course or spend a day with your waste team seeing what happens to your waste once we collect it. Please complete the questionnaire and return it to us and give yourself a chance to win a prize.

For further information please contact us by email or by phone:

www.recycleforwarrington.co.uk or call Contact Warrington on 01925 443322.

Help with worries or concerns about the move to alternate weekly collections

The council understands that many people will have worries or concerns regarding the move to alternate weekly collections. Hundreds of councils across the UK have made the change to alternate weekly collections over recent years and we have spoken with many of them to learn lessons on how best to make changes to our waste collection service. We will be here to support you throughout the changes and to help you with any worries or concerns you may have.

We have a dedicated Waste and Recycling Team who will help you with any questions or concerns. We also have help available via Contact Warrington each day, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm. We have provided a contact list of phone numbers, email addresses and website information at the end of this document. If you could complete the ‘Making the Move’ questionnaire and return this to us it will help the council make the changes in the right way.

Below we have provided a list of questions that are often asked when alternate weekly collections are introduced. We have provided answers to those questions which we hope will be helpful to you. However, if at any time you need further help or advice our Waste and Recycling team and Contact Warrington are here to help you. Please don’t be afraid to contact us for help.

Q. What are alternate weekly collections?

A. The introduction of alternate weekly collections will still mean you have a collection every week. Your black bin containing non-recyclable waste will be emptied on one week, and your blue bin for recycling will be emptied the following week, along with your green bin. Your waste collections will take place each week on the same day. Lots of other councils already use alternate weekly collections and it works well.

Q. Why is the council changing to alternate weekly collections?

A.  Alternate weekly collections are being introduced to make waste collection days easier to remember, to encourage recycling and to save money for you and the council.  As you’ve probably heard or read in the news, the amount of money the government spends on public services has been massively reduced and for Warrington this means there is £15 million less to spend this year. The council has to reduce how much it spends on waste services to make sure that other services such as care for the elderly don’t have to suffer larger cuts. 

Saving money isn’t the only reason why we are considering alternate weekly collections.  The experience from other councils already operating alternate weekly collections is that the amount of black bin waste collected decreases and the amount collected for recycling increases.

Q. When alternate weekly collections are introduced, will I receive a discount on my council tax?

A. No, changes to the waste services will not mean a reduction in council tax. The changes being made will be part of the council reducing how much we spend because we are getting less money from the government.

Q. I pay my council tax, am I not entitled to a weekly collection service?

A. Although councils are required to provide you with a regular waste collection service, there is no requirement for your black bin to be collected weekly.  When alternate weekly collections are introduced in Warrington you will still receive a weekly collection – your black bin for non-recyclable waste will be collected on one week, and recycling from your blue and green bin will be collected the following week.

Q. Will the introduction of alternate weekly collections lead to an increase in fly tipping?

A. Experience from other councils that have introduced alternate weekly collections is that there is not a large increase in the amount of fly tipping.  The council do have a community enforcement team that work to deal with people who dump waste illegally.

Q. Alternate weekly collections will result in my bin smelling, and pose a health hazard by attracting flies, vermin…

A. Wrapping smelly waste will help, as will keeping the lid of your bin closed flat. Over 50% of waste produced can be recycled using the services provided by the council. On occasions where you produce too much waste to fit inside your black bin, you can take this extra waste to any of our three Community Recycling Centres. 

Q. I fill my black bin every week and I won’t be able to manage with alternate weekly collections. What will I do?

A. If you are struggling with the service then please contact the council via Contact Warrington (01925 443322). They can help you with advice, as will our Waste and Recycling team. If you have access to the internet, please try our waste web site at www.recycleforwarrington.co.uk - the website has lots of useful information and advice.

Q. When alternate weekly collections are introduced and I fill my black bin before my collection day, would I be able to put extra waste next to the bin for collection?

A. Please remember that we can only collect waste placed inside the black bin as we cannot collect waste placed-out in bags or boxes at the side of your bin.  Also, please remember to make sure that the lid on your bin is closed flat as we cannot empty your bin if the lid is not closed flat.  Extra waste can be taken to any of our Community Recycling Centres, which are normally open seven days a week.

Q. Will there be a change to my collection day when alternate weekly collections are introduced?

A. When alternate weekly collections are introduced it is likely that both your collection day and the collection time of your black bin, blue bin and green bin will change.  We will deliver information to you through your door shortly before alternate weekly collections are introduced to explain the changes.

Q. I heard that the government is giving local authorities money to keep weekly black bin collections. Why isn’t Warrington doing this?

A. We looked at the guidance associated with the fund and considered making a bid. However, it was clear that the money available would not have matched the savings we can make from the introduction of alternate weekly collections and the money from the government funding is only available for three years. 

Q. How much will the introduction of alternate weekly collections save the council?

A. We estimate that the introduction of alternate weekly collections will save around £1 million per year.

Further help and advice

We hope that the above questions and answers help you. We have lots of help and advice available to you to help you in ‘Making the Move’.

Contact Warrington - Tel 01925 443322

www.recycleforwarrington.co.uk – all our information pages are available from this site.

Community Recycling Centres at Stockton Heath, Woolston and at Sankey Bridges are open seven days a week from 8am, where you can recycle your waste or take any extra rubbish you have for disposal.

‘Making the Move’ questionnaire – please complete the questionnaire and return it to us:

• By post:

Warrington Borough Council

FREEPOST NWW5387

Warrington

WA1 4AA

This will help us to know how we can best help you with the changes to the waste collection service.

The closing date for returning your completed questionnaire is 1 February 2013.

‘Making the move’

Alternate weekly collections

Your new fortnightly waste collection service

Questionnaire – Move to alternate weekly collections

Q1

How well do you think that you will cope with the alternate weekly collections scheme? [Please tick one box]

Very well



Very badly

Quite well



Don’t know/not sure



Neither well nor badly



Q2

What are your concerns regarding the introduction of alternate weekly collections? [Please tick all boxes that apply]

Not enough room in the black bin to last a fortnight

Odour issues - smelly waste in the bin for two weeks

Rats, rodents and other vermin/pests

Maggots / Flies

People will begin to fly-tip waste

Someone may steal my bin for their own use

Someone may use my bin as well as their own

People will leave out side-waste for collection

Additional littering

Coping with additional waste at Christmas time

None of the above – no concerns at all

Q3

If you have any other concerns please write them in the box below:

Q4

How often do you recycle or compost your waste? [Please tick one box]

Weekly



When the kerbside collection takes place



Fortnightly



Occasionally



Monthly



Don’t know/not sure



Quarterly

Never

Q5

What do you recycle or compost? [Please tick one option in each row]

Weekly

Fortnightly

Monthly

Quarterly

Kerbside collection

Occasionally

Don’t know

Never

Glass / bottles / jars

Metal (cans / tins / etc)

Aerosol cans

Paper / magazines / junk mail

Yellow Pages / telephone directories

Shredded paper

Plastic bottles

Cardboard

Food waste

Plastic food packaging

Yoghurt pots and margarine/butter tubs

Tetrapak containers

Garden waste

Q6

If you don’t already recycle or compost your waste could you please tell us why?

[Please tick all the boxes that apply]

Don’t know what can be recycled

Don't have enough storage space

Don’t know when recycling collections are

Recycling Centres are not easy to use

Don’t have a recycling container

Not fit/well enough to manage

Not worth the effort/can’t be bothered

Don’t believe in the environmental benefits

Blue bin/Green bin has been stolen

Other, please write below:

Don’t have transport to get to recycling centres

Irregular / missed recycling collections

Q7

What could we do to help you recycle/compost more?

Q8

How would you prefer to receive information from the council about waste, recycling and composting? [Please tick all the boxes that apply]

Advertising in local newspapers

Point of sales i.e. in supermarkets

Advertising on WIRE FM

Local events

Articles in local newspapers [e.g. Warrington Guardian]

Stickers on bins

Leaflets through your letterbox

Face to face visits

Telephone information line

Education at schools

Improvement to website

Posters

Don't know / not sure

Other, please write here

Q9

What kind of information would you like to receive in regards to recycling and composting? [Please tick all the boxes that apply]

Recycling performance / targets for the council

What can and can't go in the recycling bin

Why we need to recycle

How recycling impacts on the environment

The future of waste and recycling collections in Warrington

What happens to your recyclables and waste

How to lead a greener lifestyle

Other, please write here

Data protection and confidentiality

The information that you supply on this survey is subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998.  The information you provide will only be processed for the purpose for which it has been given and will not be used for any additional purposes without your consent.

All of the information you provide through this survey will be analysed and kept completely confidential and secure by the Waste Procurement & Recycling Team.  When we publish results, we do not publish individual details or data only aggregate information/ overall results (apart from written comments, where given, which always remain anonymous).

All answers will be treated in the strictest confidence, and cannot be traced back to any individual.

Warrington Borough Council is committed to promoting equality of opportunity and respect for the diversity of everyone; in the services we provide, our employment practices and the arrangements we enter into with our partners.

To check the council is taking into account the views of people from all the communities in Warrington, we undertake equality monitoring.

It is important to collect this information so we can understand more about our customers to ensure that no particular individual or groups of people are discriminated against in the provision of our services. Please complete this form to help us monitor how our services and facilities are used by members of our communities. 

It is not compulsory to answer the questions but by doing so you are helping us to monitor the effectiveness of our services, make improvements to our processes and to address any gaps or barriers identified.

All answers will be treated in the strictest confidence and protected by the Data Protection Act 1998; you will not be identified on an individual level.

Thank you for helping us to deliver better quality services to you.

1. Gender (please tick as appropriate)

Female

Male

Prefer not to say

2.  Age (please tick as appropriate)

Below 16

If below 16, please state age

16-24

25-34

35-44

45-54

55-64

65-74

75-84

85+

Prefer not to say

3. Disability

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA) defines a disabled person as someone with a physical or mental impairment, which has substantial and long-term adverse effect of his/her ability to carry out normal day to day activities

Do you consider yourself to have a disability/impairment as defined in the Disability Discrimination Act 1995? (Please tick one box only)

Yes

Please go to Q4

No

Please go to Q5

Prefer not to say

Please go to Q5

4. Type of disability

What is the nature of your disability, long-term limiting condition or health problem? (Please tick all that apply)

Physical disability

Learning disability

Visual disability

Mental ill health

Hearing disability

Other (please state)

Prefer not to say

5. Caring responsibilities in your personal life

Is there anyone who relies on you for care and attention AND that you assist with their daily routine? (Please tick one box only)

Yes

No

Prefer not to say

If yes, please indicate circumstances (Please tick all that apply)

Children

Adults (18 or over)

Prefer not to say

6. Ethnic origin (Please tick as appropriate)

a) White

British

Irish

Gypsy

Irish Traveller

Other White Background (please state)

Mixed

White & Black Caribbean

White & Black African

White & Black Asian

Other mixed background (please state)

c) Black / Black British

Caribbean

African

Other Black background (please state)

d) Asian / Asian British

Indian

Pakistani

Bangladeshi

Other Asian background (please state)

e) Chinese / other ethnic group

Chinese

Other ethnic group (please state)

g) Prefer not to say

7. Religion or belief (Please tick as appropriate)

No religion or belief

Christian

Buddhist

Muslim

Hindu

Sikh

Jewish

Other (Please state)

Prefer not to say

10. Sexual orientation

How would you describe yourself? (Please tick one box only)

Heterosexual

Bisexual

Lesbian

Gay man

Prefer not to say

11. Gender Identity

Is your gender identity the same as you were assigned at birth? (Please tick one box only)

Yes

No

Prefer not to say

Thank you for completing the questionnaire.

If you would like to be kept updated on waste management services provided by the council and its partners please leave your email address below and we’ll add you to our mailing list.

Your email address

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filled mine in, but I did notice that all the questions are worded "How will the changes affect you" rather than "How would......."

Fairly obvious to me that the decision has already been irrevocably made (at least in the minds of those in power) and that this consultation is nothing more than a sham.

I think the title 'Your new fortnightly waste collection service' rather than 'proposed' gave that away also.

As a Warringtonian ( Penkethman) in exile in Wigan where fortnightly bin collections and waste food baskets have been recently introduced my best and shortest advice is to vote against them and particularly the food baskets as they attract flies in the season and also rats. The colour coding of bins that must be put out each week is like Blackpool Illuminations and the latest hoot was a mistaken delivery of green bins which only half the neighbourhood got and don't use because they are never emptied because we are not supposed to have them and therefore they don't exist... We just put any garden rubbish in the black bin for landfill (which is where it shouldn't be and it gets taken). Lastly I will not not be here and neither will tens of thousands of generations when Armageddon or Revelation comes so why bother?

Would have thought that was fairly obvious. Some religions tend to have more kids than others, hence more rubbish. Younger people tend to produce more rubbish than oap's. The more rubbish produced then generally the more that can be recycled. It all helps to build up a picture of which category will be affected most.