Fortnightly bin collections

Gary

Fortnightly bin collections  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should bin collections go fortnightly?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont care either way
  2. 2. Should blue bins be suspended over Christmas?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way

Seems like the councils executive board voted unanimously to approve fortnightly BLACK bin collections last night meaning an alternative weekly collections of blue and black. :evil:

It's ok though as the council will now seek public views now and will report back to the executive board in February.

If the exec unanimoulsy approved last night then are they likely to listen to public opinion (not that many people will probably bother to officially object if they don;t agree... they will just do what they always do and moan about it amongst themselves before and after the event.) :roll:

I've been trying this week to see if we, as a family, could cope with fortnightly BLACK collections. Bin day is tomorrow and it's just over 3/4's full so a bit of space left but not enough for a whole extra week.

I wonder if it would be better to burn everything first in our garden fire pit rather than to squash it although the fumes could be bad :unsure::lol:

When the wheelie bins were introduced I didn’t like the idea of large multi-coloured bins cluttering our pavements for the best part of the day but like all changes we eventually get used to it and it soon becomes the norm. It’s all a far cry from what we had in the past when the bin men would actually walk up the path to collect the one bin without question.

I don’t mind doing my bit to sort stuff out if it helps the environment but what I don’t like is the slow and gradual degradation of service from what we’d actually like to what the council is prepared to do. On the plus side, at least they didn’t go as far as they said they might when suggesting that we might have up to seven different bins to further separate our waste.

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

Cost efficiencies can prove myopic in the long run. Remember: we had public toilets with attendants to keep them clean - too costly - got phased out; now folk are using the streets as urinals. Remember: we had bus conductors on buses - too costly - got phased out; now they moan about vandalism and unruly behaviour. We used to have the binmen actually walking up the path to collect the bin - now they want it placed at the end of the street - all presumably to save money. In the interest of cost savings, can we look forward to scrapping the "service" altogether, then we all take our rubbish down to the tip or just fly tip it? :roll: