What is the pub and where in Warrington was it taken.

algy

Was it at top end of the old Wilderspool road sort of where Brian Bevan Island is now ?

(and the pubs called the 'Donut Ducout' or 'Do Not Ducout') clearly not but the sign did make me giggle)

No where near where you suggested Dizz, and the sign 'Donut Dugout' is not the name of the pub and although I'm not familiar with the name probably reflects the name of an American theme bar around the time that the 'Yanks. were at Burtonwood. I would be amazed if Cleo doesn't come up with the answer, if you know what the pub is and where it is Florence give the others a chance tuppence!, :wink::D :grin:

Are you referring to a pub with a sea faring name? There was a Donut dugout opposite to same. We urchins used to hang about with the request "Any gum, chum". There was also some sort of skating rink next to that pub, which was also a municipal building at one time.

Also a very very old watch repair shop right by the DD.

Happy days

Are you referring to a pub with a sea faring name? There was a Donut dugout opposite to same. We urchins used to hang about with the request "Any gum, chum". There was also some sort of skating rink next to that pub, which was also a municipal building at one time.

Also a very very old watch repair shop right by the DD.

Happy days

Harry, you probably know more detail about that particular area than I do and I'm certain you know the pub across the road, but do you know the name of the pub in the picture. :wink:

No one apart from Harry is warm, and I do know that he knows!, his clue is as good as you will get. :wink:

Don't think out of town.

Here's a clue for the pub name - Famous footballer David is reputed to have these. The place, well this would give you pain if they were stuck in your forehead.

:D :grin: :D

Golden Ball, Pinners Brow. <_<

Sorry, couldn't contain myself any longer. :lol:

Spot on Cleo!.

Nearly Dizz! and Well done harry! :)

The "Golden Ball" No.1 Pinners Brow, If anyone has any information regarding the "Donut Dugout" please post it here, was it a Doughnut shop, Milk Bar, Burger Bar, I'm sure we would love to know.

ScreenShot001-6.jpg

Good work Algy. All i remember was that it was created? in pinners Brow for the american servicemen during the war. Those holey hot donuts were something different to what we were used to.

As I said before it attracted urchins along to beg for war-time novelties like the now normal, but then unusual, flat pieces of chewing gum; chewing tobacco; large fag-ends type of thing.

I was probably too young to notice the girls but no doubt the place was attractive to them, as Davies's cafe at Central station later became.

Happy days

Re the 'Donut Dugout' a quick google can't find anything about the Warrington one but I found mention to many others both in this country and elsewhere.

Seems they were clubs/cafe's set up and run by American Red Cross, often in empty shops or buildings, for their service men and women during WW2.

"“Donut Dugouts” were canteen facilities set up at various locations during World War II where a soldier could pause for a cup of coffee, a donut (Official Red Cross Donut Recipe), and a bit of friendly conversation that offered him a familiar and reassuring connection with home."

Here's a pic of a 'Donut Dugout' near Llandudno

donutd.jpg

I must confess Algy , i was brought up in Orford Lane in the mid 50's / early 60's & i don't even remember a building like that frontage so when was it demolished ?

What i do have is a memory whether real or imagined i don't know of a building front in Winwick Rd ,before it was scattered in the 60's, of what must have been a pub & the sign bore the name "Shannon & Chesapeake".Can you shed any light on that memory Algy or is it my imagination ?

I THINK the Shannon and Chesapeake pub was nearly opposite st Ann's church.

The pre-fab building at the back of Algy's picture was the skating rink I referred to. i always associate in my mind with the do-nut dug out as being mainly for Americans. Later a municipal building, very similar to the old Min of pension and insurance opposite St Elphins park.(and later the driving test place)

Happy days