Forgotten Lancashire (and parts of Cheshire and the Wirral)

Derek

Hello!

I came across this forum while looking for Lancashire and Cheshire based forums to promote my new book Forgotten Lancashire (and parts of Cheshire and the Wirral). Although it doesn't specifically mention Warrington (perhaps this will feature in volume 2?) I think the book will be of great interest to any forum members who have a good sense of humour and enjoy history. My research has shown that people in Warrington have a more developed sense of humour than anywhere else in the North West so I think my book will be right up their street.

When you say the word Lancashire to most people outside of the county they think of cotton mills, coal mines and the Co-operative movement. But there's a forgotten side to Lancashire - home of the invention of the fridge magnet, Uncle Bill's Meatballs and the Competitive Movement.

A great present for anyone who enjoys Lancashire and likes a laugh.

http://www.forgottenlancashire.co.uk

Best Wishes

Derek

• Upvote 1

Hello!

Although it doesn't specifically mention Warrington (perhaps this will feature in volume 2?) My research has shown that people in Warrington have a more developed sense of humour than anywhere else in the North West

So there is a place in the North West which will remain nameless until volume 2 :unsure: :unsure:

Welcome to the forum Derek and BillBlunt

BillB... can you refrain from mentionong tripe again on here please. It's not a forum rule but the thought of it makes my stomach churn :blink::lol::lol:

I know what you mean. But I did once have it in Italy served in a parmesan sauce and it was quite tasty - the sauce, that is!

But I can guess more than a few folk would be hoping tripe will continue to be a Forgotten part of Lancashire. I imagine the Wirral was probably a bit posh for tripe - most of Cheshire too! :)

Iremember uncle joes mintballs before they were wrapped up --they were sold from a jar and put into a little bag and ended up full of fluff out of yer pocket.

<_< wouldnt get away with it to-day

I remember them when they weren't wrapped, as well. In my memory, they were perfectly round, too, but maybe not. Unless they had to change the shape for health and safety reasons!

The meatballs sound like a parallel universe Wigan!

Not sure I'd want to put an unwrapped uncles Joe's minty ball in my pocket :lol:

BillyB... When you say they used to be perfectly round do you mean like a marble as the only ones I ever had (or remember my mum buying) were round but sort of flattened.

I'm sure she/we only probably continued to buy them cos of her Uncle Joe. He looked sort of rounded and flat too... not fat just slightly vertically challenged and squashed.... oops I mean cute :unsure:

Derek.... any chance we can have the same forum discounts as the Wigan forum bods are getting by the way [ :D

I only know that as I was googling Bill's meatballs to see what was in them and you will soon come to realise, like everyone else, that I'm a little odd like that :oops:

Nowt wrong with me asking as tah can alwis say 'bugger off' (or similar) :wink::lol:

Dizzy - you might be right, I think it is my memories playing tricks on me. But I definitely remember getting them in a paper bag and them all getting stuck together!

Peter T - I've heard dogs go mad for green tripe, but that it stinks. Not sure I'd have the stomach to prepare it for my mutt!

Dizzy - you might be right, I think it is my memories playing tricks on me. But I definitely remember getting them in a paper bag and them all getting stuck together!

Peter T - I've heard dogs go mad for green tripe, but that it stinks. Not sure I'd have the stomach to prepare it for my mutt!

Tripe's 'offal' :wink::D :grin: