warrington tech college

artie

i would just like to know if the tech college is still there in winmarleigh st/wilson patten street.

i attended this college from 1961 until 1964 and must say i met a few nice people hile i was there i

used to go on a monday and then thursday night 7pm till 9-30pm, the reason i finished was i had a motor

bike accident in burtonwood --i just wondered if it was still going.

Can't remember a college at the junction mentioned. We have the old girls high school next to the Parr Hall, Palmyra Square)(later the council offices) and the old art school which is the one referred to above as being opposte to the library. there may have a study place in probably what is now pyramid (Museum street/ Winmarleigh street)

Happy days

there were about six of us who attended all from st.helens and when we went by bus the stop was opposite the patton arms hotel i think the day college was in a street facing the bus stop.

the night class was in a street not far from the main street going through the town.

as you say harry happy days

Warrington Technical College was next to the Parr hall in Palmyra square, might have my facts wrong but I think it was also the girls high school which moved to Loushers lane in 1959/60 was it used as the High school during the day then the Tech for evening classes, I could be way out here as early on I attended Broomfields at Appleton.

Entrance to the Tech.

technicalschool.jpg

May be people were all smaller when that picture was taken. The building still looks exactley like that.

Bill :)

Not saying it isn't Bill. It's just the angle and position of the camera that gives the impression of greater size.

It looks as if the photo has been enlarged, because the corner of Queens Garden looks the same.

PJ, Algy??? Expert opinion please.

Springfield street is a lot narrower now. If you look at the field of view to the right of the staircase, you can see 4 full windows of the technical college. If you look on google street view, the offices on the right as you look down Springfield Street now obscure the 4th and part of the 3rd windows

To the left of the staircase is the same... the wall of Queens Gardens running down the left side of Springfield street is now approximately in line with the 2nd line of windows to the left of the stairs; whereas again the wall on the old photo is in line with about the 4th line of windows....

Artie,

This building was the main finance and IT building for the Council up until a few years ago... The main entrance hall was still very ornate but the insides had been ripped to pieces to accomodate office space when the council took it over. The main Council IT room was in the basement in the first and second basement windows to the left of the stairs!!

As Bill says people were a great deal smaller than they are today also the group stood at the bottom of the steps appear to be youngsters, I would also suggest that by the appearance of the angle of the two chimney stacks that enables you to see both vertical inner surfaces together, the photographer probably used a wide angle lens.