Paychecks

Stallard12

I'm guessing that workers nowadays are paid by check or direct debit, if so, this may be interesting - or not. When I was doing business in the early '70's, every worker got a cash pay envelope. We had a 2000 Pounds per week payroll -that was for a hunded guys. We had to sit down with all the payslips and work out how many notes of various sizes we needed and how much change we needed in the various denominations, to be able to custom each packet. I would then put on an overcoat - even in summer - and walk from Barclay's bank, down Bridge Street and Horsemarket Street, with 2000 Pounds in my pocket. It then took three people out of the office staff and me, locked in my office, to split it all up into individual packets. It was a lot of money at that time.

I'm guessing that it's a little bit different now.

I used to help the landlord do the banking for a large pub/restaurant I worked at when I was 18 or so. I'd be carrying the takings to the bank while the landlord followed a little way behind to see if anyone was taking an undue interest in me.

After a busy Bank Holiday weekend, or after Xmas I could easily be carrying £20,000 in cash!

A good while ago, I was installing equipment in what was then the largest taxi company in Scotland and each week they would pay me £20,000 in cash stuffed into a pillow case. Bearing in mind the Scotts continued using their pound notes long after ours were withdrawn, you can imagine the difficulties of just counting out this much cash in a “foreign” currency.

There were English notes mixed in with the Bank of Scotland and those from the Clydesdale bank and just to make it even more fun, there were both old and new notes. Mrs Green had the unenviable weekly task of sorting all this out into piles on the living room floor because the bank just wouldn’t accept it unsorted. The dosh was literally kept under the bed until it was banked and even then I had to take it in after the banks had closed because it took so long to process.

Thank goodness for money laundering laws and electronic banking!

Bill :)

I've just done the Sage payroll course and had to do cash reconciliations of how many notes and coins in different denominations would be required. I guess from this that there may still be some companies that pay their staff by cash.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if staff were already being paid in cash, they could not be forced to change while still with the company, but I may be wrong!

Our Filipino crew still get paid cash (US$) when they go home. Sometimes they take cash home with them for other crew members who want to avoid the commission the manning agency charges, so they may be carrying up to $10000 at a time. The system is being changed this year to pay it directly to their bank instead, which will cut my work down a bit. :wink:

When I worked at Lockers in the late 70's every thursday I would collect the wages from the church street offices in a wooden case,and then go down the alleyway between the marquis pub and take them to the factory on Farrell street? I would be looking over my shoulder if I did that now

We used to be paid in cash every Thursday at BNFL and had to queue in a line office by office to get them until it finally went electronic years later. The bloke used to walk round with a security guard or two though. Guess they never trusted us :lol:

Saying that they did have to walk between buildings and Risley remand prison was just up the road. and there were always a lot of the 'visitors' hanging round our site looking for a suitable car to go home in etc.

I used to panic all the way home on the two busses especially through the town centre as I was convinced that everyone knew it was my weekly payday and that I had my little envelope of notes in my pocket. Maybe I should have got a lift of the car stealers :wink:

Funny though as I would probably walk round with that much money in my pocket now and wouldn't be so worried... although I rarley have any these days.

It costs more to bank with cash than cards..... that's why the girl at the supermarket checkout always asks if you want cashback..... that way they still get the £50 or £100 but they pay less to the bank to process the debit card withdrawal than to bank the cash!