Old photos of Warrington comment.

Stallard12

I have really enjoyed the old photos recently published - more would be great. I remember the later ones with the circle at the town center and the Empire etc.

They lead me to something that has nagged at me for years - when did the trams quit running completely. I have seen articles in the past stating that the last tram ran in 1935 and one of the recent photos showed 'the last tram to Latchford' with a 1930's date. However, I lived in the Oakwood area from 1949 to about 1956 and I distinctly remember waiting at the bus stop across from the cemetary gates and catching a tram to the red light at Kingsway. In fact I remember the feeling of disgust if a tram came before a bus. Am I dreaming?

Too far back for me I'm afraid but some here may be able to give you more info.

Didn't I once send you some photos of where you used to live on Fisher Avenue or could there be another Limey in Texas?

Bill :)

Oh and by the way, your message is in the wrong section and will probably be moved further down the pages so watch out for that!

These dates are correct Limey.

It's amazing when Warrington only introduced electricity in 1900 and two years later (1902) the town had trams running.

Here are the dates when Warrington's tram service started & ceased:-

Warrington Town Centre To -

Latchford - April 21, 1902. to August 28, 1935

Sankey Bridges - April 23, 1902. to March 27, 1935

Wilderspool - October 4, 1902. to September 17, 1931

Extended to Stockton Heath from July 7, 1905

Cemetery - November 22, 1902. to March 27, 1935

Longford - November 29, 1902. to December 31, 1931

When you look at the amount of work involved in buying, installing, maintaining and running the tram system that was in place; coupled with the amount of major road works and widening (bridge street etc)........all that expense and work for a 30 year project, makes the Westbrook traffic lights seem like a good deal after all!!

I wonder if the plebs moaned about how much it had all cost back in 1935?!

Appreciate the replies and no Bill, it wasn't me. Thanks too Algy, but my memory of using a tram from the Cemetary Hotel and getting off when it turned around at Kingsway South and boarding a regular bus from there into Latchford, is so strong that I would like to keep the subject open. I was only born in 1939 and didn't move to Pinewood Ave until 1949 and I was at least fifteen when all this happened.

Even later than that, we used to pass the Liverpool trams well into the 50's, at Huyton.

Sorry about the misplaced posting - where should it have been?

Limey,

I used to collect bus and train numbers during the war - so I would have collected trams if there were any.

I think you are getting mixed up with buses 16-30. They were very distinctive pre-war bone-shakers, leather seats etc. When they were doing 30 you thought it was 50. I always preferred them to the ones with modern engines - somewhat similar to old Blackpool trams with the new ones; or comparing gas-light with electric light.

Lovely area round Oakwood avenue - happy memories.

Happy days

I've got a book all about Warrington and it's Trams and Buses but not got time to read through it all at the moment as there's a lot in it.

I'm sure the library must have a copy of it if anyone is interested and it's written by John P Robinson, published by Cheshire Libraries and Museums 1987. Very interestin though especially the indepth introduction which details how the trams came about and the struggles they faced etc etc.

Baz I seem to remember something in it saying there was a bit of 'concern' from the locals to :wink:

Appreciate it Harry, it's beginning to look like I'm imagining things. In my memory, the route past St Elfins and the cemetary was shared with buses and trams and I remember having to make the decision whether to take the tram with its hard slatted seats if it came first, or to wait a little longer until the bus came along. I also have a vivid picture of the conductor using the log hooked pole to swing the contact arm around with the tram stopped dead in the center of the Man Road / Kingsway intersection. Very detailed and clear images for a fantasy.

I will contact a couple of friends from that area to see what they have to say. Maybe I am in the twilight zone.

OK, I have made all of the enquiries I can from old friends and I have to concede that it all must have been a weird, but very realistic dream.

Thanks for all of the replies and now I don't know if I'm happy or sad. I think I finally got the answer that I didn't want. What an amazing thing the mind is.

OK, I have made all of the enquiries I can from old friends and I have to concede that it all must have been a weird, but very realistic dream.

Thanks for all of the replies and now I don't know if I'm happy or sad. I think I finally got the answer that I didn't want. What an amazing thing the mind is.

Limey1, It's amazing when I think back to my childhood days to try and remember fine detail, I inevitably get it wrong. :wink: