Old Photo Repairs

Bazj

As some of you know, I leave the photo taking to others in a lot of cases but I do enjoy restoring and repairing old photos.

The one below is my latest job which was done for my family tree....

It was taken in Catherine Street probably around 1925 (the little girl on the stool is my mum and she is now 88!)

idsw2x.jpg

The original had sticky tape and a good few cracks!

2re1q2e.jpg

I did one a while ago for a mate of mine who had been royally ripped off by a professional restoration company. He sent them an image of him (as a young chap) on the footplate of 6014 King Henry VII They had charged him ?140.00 using this photo to work on:

1zwm5o8.jpg

After 2 months, they sent him this:

i50kfq.jpg

Nothing else and told him if he wanted the whole train it would cost another ?200.00!!

He happened to post about it on a car forum I frequent and I asked him to send me a hi-res copy.... after 3 days I sent this back to him.... He was over the moon and actually sent it to the first company and demanded his money back!!

257geg0.jpg

Now unfortunately, 6014 was scrapped way back in the 1960's and so I found another King Class loco picture and sent him this as well entitled "What could have been!!"

1se2kh.jpg

Excellent train pics Baz and I bet the professional restoration company were a tad embarrased eh. What a rip off :shock:

I used to have paint shop pro on my old pc and it was really great... I've got adobe photoshop cs3 now which is good too but a bit fiddly and OTT at times :?

did he get his money back?

i have a few that i have had a go at some have turned out well but others i have struggled with. mainly because i did not scan the originals at the highest resolution for my scanner.. as you say all it takes is time and patience. the trick is not to rush (one of my faults as i want to see the finished result straight away),save regularly and not to do too much at once.

one i did manage to get a good result from was a wedding picture of my parents. it was a black and white picture and my mother wanted it coloured in like the one she had in the album. i must say it turned out quite well. only problem i had was getting the right shade of blue for my dads suit. the one i chose turned out to be a lot brighter than the original.

photoshop 7

photo studio 5

photo editor

photobase 3

photo express 3

xtreme photo designer 6

depends on what i need to do with the pictures. each has it's own advantages and can do the odd bit that the others don't. so i can use up to three different ones to get the desired result. most of these progs i have either been given or got with various printers over the years. i do have a preference for photoshop at present though.

one i have tried with a sort of fair result was ulead cool 360. it lets you take a set of pictures in a circle and then join them together so that you can use the mouse to scroll around as if you were stood where the camera was and turning round.

photoshop 7

photo studio 5

photo editor

photobase 3

photo express 3

xtreme photo designer 6

Their is another way?....

Using Adobe Illustrator.

1. Open up Illustrator.

2. Create Page

3. Import image, eg. RGB/CMYK/Black and White

4. Imbed image ? important to do this

5. Go to create mosaic in top menu selection, this may differ, depending on what operating system/version you are using.

6. In the dialogue box, where it says ?Tile Spacing/Number of Tiles? enter and experiment with a number till you are happy with the result.

7. Use the selection tool/arrow and group colours that need to be changed in colour or tone via the colour palette

I use this sometimes and works perfectly especially if you want to change an image to a vector graphic and keep the resolution sharp for printing at various sizes.

Oooh I just tried that with Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended but I don't think the mosaic feature works quite the same :lol: I wont upload my results :oops::lol:

Think I'll stick to playing with my newly found colour replacement tool for now.... I used to do it the long way as I didn't know I had one of those until Evils and Baz got me wondering about black and whites.

I used to have illustrator but never really used it and after my pc went wrong I bought Adobe CS3 extended without realising it had no real vector capabilities.

I now know I can send you my graphics SD so you can convert them to vectors for me (AI or EPS format acceptable) :D:D

Dizzy...

The trick with using the Moasiac function is to make the tile's very small as to keep the detail, however, this is time consuming and processor hungry.

But it is good to know that there is always another way to do something.

Adobe illustrator is a very powerful peice of software and it may be worth getting a book fom the library or get some on-line tutorials to help you.

Might have another play with CS3 later as I've got two seperate options... 'mosaic' OR 'tiles'. Just had quick go but like you say it was rather times consuming and I got bored as I could do the same a lot quicker with some of the mask tools and other functions.

Don't think the books or tutorials would help me SD cos I haven't got 'illustrator' :lol::wink:

• 2 months later...

Can anyone do anything with this old family photo for me PLEASE :cry:

The original is virtually just blank as it has faded/discoloured so much. Scanning it and altering the settings improved it slightly and then a tweak made it a little better/worse but I can't get it any better with Adobe photoshop as CS3 is a complete pain in the 'you know where'

For info the photo is from WW1 and is of my grandad and the 2nd Kaiser :shock:

scanned with changed settings

cmand2ndkaiserWW1origscan.jpg

adjusted in CS3 but possibly worse than scanned one

CMand2ndkaiserWW1.jpg

For info the photo is from WW1 and is of my grandad and the 2nd Kaiser :shock:

Your Grandad looks a rather eccentric type of fellow! :shock:

What a nice little dog on the front row! perhaps he didn't get the tripod set up quite right before he got into the frame? His skills seem to have improved greatly over the years though. Such a pity he ended up in a dogs home. :cry: