Old Photo Repairs

Bazj

Thanks Baz and Algy for having a go. Yours are both better than mine and yes it is hard eh.

Orig photo is only about 4 x 3 inch and so faded that you can hardly see anything. My mums notes on what he was doing there etc say how she wished she had taken more care to protect the photo... and I wish she had too :?

Baz what higher resolution would you suggest ? I have just scanned it at 4800 dpi and the file size is 96mb :shock: I tried to adjust that one in adobe cs3 and my computer couldn't cope with it :cry:

If I uploaded that one into photobucket and stuck a link on here would you/algy then be able to get the higher res one to have a play with or would photobucket shrink it ?

I've also scanned it at 2400 dpi and that file is only 11mb so is that high enough?

How I wish I didn't only have cs3 though as it is so complicated at times and you all seem to get far better results with the software you use. I feel a spending spree coming on :D

If you want to try another package Dizzy have a look at "Gimp" its fairly straight forward to use and will do most if not all that the other programs will.

It is open source so its not going to cost anything. I originally found it in a Linux download, liked it so much downloaded the Windows version and now dont use any of the others.

That's a really good too Evils.

My other half had a look at the actual photo earlier and it's so feint that he couldn't even tell which way up it should have been let alone what was on it :lol: He's was amazed when he saw what was on here and said he would never have thought there were two people on it.

I've had another play this afternoon for a couple of hours :oops: and despite all my efforts I still can't do any better.

By the way I had an advantage over you all as I was using a 2400 dpi scan with a file size of 11 mb.

Best I could do was these

original scan 2400 dpi

cmand2ndkaiser2400dpi.jpg

to these after 2 hours of playing :oops:

kaiserbeforecupt-1.jpg

kaisercropandlayeredcopy.jpg

Time to give up I think :lol:

I uploaded the wrong one ie the one before the final one so have just edited my post.

Please tell me to give up Algy as I'm starting to go mad now. That's my mum's dad by the way so he's proving to be just as 'annoying' as my dad's dad but in a completely differen't way :lol:

Family trait it seems :oops:

Blummin' heck Baz what would the file size be off your beast of a scanner. I scanned it at 4800 and it was 90+ mb although mine does go upto 9600 but thought there was no point in trying due to file size.

I'd be happy for you to scan it and see what you could do but I doubt that my pc and PS CS3 could cope with with that sort of resolution as it gave up with the 4800 and layers so I had to work with the lower 2400 res one :oops:

Time for me to get a new PC maybe :D

Blummin' heck Baz what would the file size be off your beast of a scanner. I scanned it at 4800 and it was 90+ mb although mine does go upto 9600 but thought there was no point in trying due to file size.

I'd be happy for you to scan it and see what you could do but I doubt that my pc and PS CS3 could cope with with that sort of resolution as it gave up with the 4800 and layers so I had to work with the lower 2400 res one :oops:

Time for me to get a new PC maybe :D

He doesn't bite. :wink:

..... his beast of a scanner might :lol:

My dad has just had a look on here at the attemps so far and is amazed considering how faded the other is.

He raise a very good question though... ie why is my mums dad sitting down and the very important Kaiser II is stood up. I presume this must be because grandad suffered a terrible leg injury just prior to being taken prisoner but thankfully the german doctors managed to save his leg.

Dad also said that grandad (mums dad) looks much older than a teenager on the adjusted photos but I think maybe that's just because of the 'beard' (if it is a beard and not just a shadow caused by the quality of the scan) and apparently his nose looks different too.

Flippin' heck we are trying our best eh :roll::lol: Maybe he should have a go himself :wink:

Baz get yer scanner dusted off :D

Just been reading up about the Kaiser online and he had a badly withered arm due to a difficult birth and he always tried to conceal it... so maybe that's why he is stood up as his arm is behind grandad. He had a very odd loooking mustache too which can't be seen on the photos above it was a sort of ' I ' shape but on its side obviously. If it doesn't show on Baz's mega scan I might add that later :D

Interesting though... well to me anyway :wink:

Right time for a bit more into and after I have posted this I will retire to the safety of a bunker somewhere.

Firstly thanks to everyone who has tried to so hard to enhance the WW1 photo of my grandad (mums mum) and the 2nd Kaiser and of course the dog.

Well...ermm... now how do I say this.

Re : My 'grandad' seen seated in the photo. Well the photo is not telling any lies and yes it is a beard but not grandad's beard :oops: Errm the chap sitting down is actually a german doctor called Dr Knoc (phonetically speaking according to mums old notebook) who was the 2nd cousin of the Kaiser. My real grandad became the doctors chauffeur after being taken prisoner of war and was respected greatly by grandad which is whe carried the photo in his wallet.

Re : The 2nd Kaiser on the left in the large hat who is possibly only standing up so as to hide his withered arm behind my 'grandad'... ermm well that's actually the doctors wife :oops:

Re : the dog... I was right with that as it is indeed a dog.

Enough said so as not to embarrass myself even further and fancy me playing chinese whispers with myself. My dad's still not stopped laughing :oops::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So here's my real grandad bottom row on the right nothing like the doctor eh :lol:

cmww1bottomright.jpg

SORRY !!!