Warrington Lantern Parade

Sue Durnim

Warrington Lantern Parade

Thursday 16th Dec

Good to see a European tradition being introduced in to Warrington (see text below). Let?s hope it comes as popular as Warrington Walking Day. It will be good to see a myriad of coloured lanterns being held aloft to brighten up our town.

The first canonized saint not associated with martyrdom, Martin of Tours left a legacy celebrated by children's lantern parades throughout Germany since the Middle Ages.

The tradition of children walking through German cities with lighted lanterns on the eve of St. Martin?s feast day (November 11), is traced to the early Middle Ages. Celebration of St. Martin?s was revived significantly in the 15th Century, perhaps accounting for the 16th Century parallels been St. Martin and the Protestant reformer, Martin Luther. Luther mythology also helps to explain why the often called ?lantern festival? became popular in North Germany, which was predominantly Protestant.

Not wishing to be a killjoy but why are adopting traditions from Germany a nation that we fought through to world wars, have we not got our enough of our own traditions that could be resurected so that the children of England would take a pride in our nation or is it going to be another imported festival such as Halloween and Burns night? :roll:

algy...

...I see it for what it is, just being a spectacle to lighten up Christmas (excuse the pun) and to boost tourism to the town, plus it gives the locals something to do and also contribute to the culture of the town.

We should have more activities like this, as long as it not to expensive to organize, remember the Big Wheel fiasco at the town hall some years ago, what a terrible idea and a waste of money that was.

Call me a Traditionalist if you like, because that's what I am.

I also see it for what it is, just another ruse to deminish our own nationality.

Sorry Sue, I'm with Algy on this. When a tourist visits this country, they should be comeing to see "our" traditions, "our" way of life, and the way in which we celebrate it. Merry Christmas to yer. :wink:

well it should be something to watch as opposed to the street lights we seem to have.

on an elf and safety note. will these lanterns be paper one lit from within by candles. if so i hope the fire brigade is on hand just in case of accidents. and also what about the threat to the climate change with all those candles belching smoke and carbon into the air.

to be honest i don't really care as long as folks enjoy it. i always try to keep an open mind of others views/religions/festivals and hope that they are tolerant enough to keep an open mind about mine.

i may not believe in a god but maybe a god believes in me :wink:

It could also be just be coincidence that they are having a Blue Peter style lantern making course at the museum, then when finished, they will want to show the towns folk what they have made.

I was just pointing out they have similar parades throughout Europe for different reasons.

I?m looking forward to seeing the parade and all the hard work the people have put in to making the lanterns, should be a delight to see a Christmas glow in the town centre.

Sounds rather nice.. providing there are enough lanterns of course. :wink:

What time is it on any idea?

Can anyone just turn up with their own lantern and join in or is it just schools and other groups.

Dizzy...this parade was mentioned sometime ago in Warrington-Worldwide and other websites, but if I were you check times just in case, there are still some places left at the museum if you want to make your own lantern?

Starts from the Old Market Place and takes in Horsemarket Street and Bridge Street before returning to Golden Square.

Date: 16/12/2010 - 16/12/2010

Starts: 18:00 hrs.

Finishes: 19:30 hrs.

algy...

...I see it for what it is, just being a spectacle to lighten up Christmas (excuse the pun) and to boost tourism to the town, plus it gives the locals something to do and also contribute to the culture of the town.

We should have more activities like this, as long as it not to expensive to organize, remember the Big Wheel fiasco at the town hall some years ago, what a terrible idea and a waste of money that was.

I completely agree ......... let's not forget that deep deep down we are 'ancestorily' Germanic in origin heh ??

Chester's mid-winter parades are superb and along similar lines but much much bigger and promoted to the hilt !.... you also have to remember that trying to promote and re-create anything historical whatsoever in Warrington is nigh on impossible because of a lack of interest in our 'own traditions and heritage' !!!!

Not wishing to be a killjoy but why are adopting traditions from Germany a nation that we fought through to world wars, have we not got our enough of our own traditions that could be resurected so that the children of England would take a pride in our nation or is it going to be another imported festival such as Halloween and Burns night? :roll:

Bah, humbug!

Time to abandon that terrible Prussian export the Christmas tree, out goes Christingle, and Father Christmas should stay at the North Pole. And I don't think Jesus was born in England...

Did anyone go...?

I was going to (as its late night shopping too with free parking :wink: ) and would have liked to see it but with it starting to go icy decided not to go :cry::oops:

Was it nice :D

Nope!, I did not see it either, surprised at you Dizzy, you could of sneaked a couple of photo's with your new camera?

Some one must have gone, looking forward to seeiing some excellent pics's being posted here? :wink: