SKYPE ?

Dizzy

Anyone use SKYPE via their computer? Is it any good ?

Being mithered to download it to my PC so I can 'chat' with distant family who for some strange reason think the latest 'must have technology' is to 'see' each other when we're talking ? :lol: Can't see the point of it myself but said I'd think about it after they download it first :wink:

Do you get a phone number allocated to your PC or something or is it just like having msn messenger with a pc camera?

Does it slow your PC down and can it be used via cable broadband or do you need a phone line broadband connection?

Is it really free and could other people find my 'pc phone number' thingy and connect to me for a chat without me wanting them too :shock:

Anything else that's worth knowing about it ??

What with emails, facebook, twitter, Linkedin, mobile phones and normal phones with lots of FREE call packages - I haven't evn bothered to get Skype - I can't think of anything more annoying than being mithered by someone wanting to talk to me while I am sat working at my computer.

I suppose it is great if you want to chat with family and friends abroad.

My daughter and grandaughter who is away from home at uni have and they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread I will try and find out about it over the weekend, in the meantime try to see if there are any Skype forums around or reviews about it I would have thought that as it's been around for a few years some information must be available on the web.

Dizzy try here: http://voip-service-review.toptenreviews.com/skype-review.html

or this: http://www.voipnow.org/providers/skype

there is another option and that is to join one of those websites like paltalk that allow you to broadcast via you webcam. set up as a private passworded camera and you can have a direct sight to sight view. if you have a mic connected as well you can talk to them. as far as i know it is free to join and use. or was last time i used it a while back.

So doesn't SKYPE do that then.... as that's exactly how it was described to me by my mithering family ie load it, connect a webcam and we can chat and see each other like we're 'together' :?:lol:

Must admit for the second time today I find myself agreeing with Gary :shock: phones are for phoning and computers are for working on (and chatting on here obviously :wink: )

Makes me laugh when youngsters ask what Apps and games I have on my mobile, how much web browsing I get and what meg camera I have on it etc etc.

The look of shock when I tell them I only use it for ringing people :lol::lol:

I don't even use MSN Peter although it is free on my mobile phone too (why would you need it on a phone?? ) ... Gosh I'm a boring old soul aren't I :lol::lol:

Think I'll just give skype a miss and tell them it wont work with cable broadband and if they want to chat they can join in with my son instead via his MSN account..... that should annoy him when he's chatting with his girlie mates etc online :wink::oops::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Our phone system at work is a standard PBX but it uses the same principle as Skype allowing me to have extensions at the homes of my staff. It?s an ordinary phone but I can dial an extension or even transfer an incoming call directly to others via broadband without any call charges.

It doesn?t affect the way the phone works or the running of the PC but the PC?s at both ends have to be permanently on for it to work so for most domestic applications the increased electric bill will probably cancel out any call savings. :cry:

Bill :)