Oh I yeah!....I remember that!

Sue Durnim

Do you mean Victor Mclaglen Obs? He played Squire "Red" Donaghue.

Incidentally,I baught me first yoyo and oola roop from Leslies when they were all the rage. Never lost it with the yoyo, I could do two at once. Not too bad with an oola roop either. I could start it around me waist, get it down to me ankles, and back up to me neck again. 8)8):wink:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wingnut for the name of 'Leslies'

My favourite toys shops were Harts, next to the Odeon,

Burgess, especially their star burst orange and black bags and they also used to be a toy shop at the top end of Scotland Rd, towards Horsemarket St.

I was also a member of the Odeon Saturday Club when the Odeon was in its Hay-Day and you cuold sneak in through the side door from Scotland Rd, opposite the Brittania Pub.

They should have never closed the Odeon, it should have had a preservation order placed on it as a listed building, but what do planners know? an icon of a building replaced with a plastic pub.

brother is looking for any pictures of Warrington at the moment. he has a sort of quiz thingy going on face book. put a pic up and then try to figure out where it is in Warrington.

he has just been loaned several books about old Warrington with pictures going back to the late 1800's. one shows the bridge over the mersey just after it was built. it is quite funny really as it shows about thirty people standing about with two trams full of people parked in the middle along with two steam rollers. it was a loading test of the bridge to check the deflection under a 95 ton load.

would be a lot of wet people if it had failed. :oops::oops::lol::lol:

Wasn't there a toy shop called Prince's,sure it was next to Ward's sports shop in Rylands st, there was also White's sports shop in Sankey st. Anyone remember the Beachcomber cafe in Winwick st opposite Jack Frodsham's & when there was another bus stop in Winwick st where a lot of out of town buses came & went .Before all this Arriva nonsense there used to be buses all done up in their own liveries...Ribble, Lancashire United,North Western,Crosville,Salford City,Wigan ,Leigh,St Helens & i think some i can't remember.

BTW was Maggie Riley the girl in black?

Tom Princes in Sankey street (good class toys, meccanos; hornby trains). They also later had a little shop in nearby Bold street.

Remember the bus shed in Mersey street. Magic sneaking in there to find the number you hadn't got.

PF Wards in Bridge street - lovely sports shop. They used to post the Warrington team on a Wednesday night which attracted many viewers in those boring days.

Levi richardsons music shop opposite - the atmosphere in there was something special which Dawsons never achieved.

Happy days (albeit long ago)

I couldn't settle. And you made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

So I jumped on me bike and made haste to Latchford village. I was looking for a clue that could still possibly be there. Over the swing bridge past the chippy on Knutsford road. I stopped outside the Railway pub. And there it was on the opposite side of the road. A row of terraced houses called Osborne Terrace.

The plaque which says Osborne Terrace is fully plastered over. But the six Terraced houses that are next to it still have the brickwork showing. And each one of the Terraces has that same stone plaque with a curly pattern on it that is in the original photograph. I know I'm right, I can feel it in me watter.

So I say Osborne Terrace Latchford.

Reet then, where's me binanna. :D