Is it illegal to be in a hurry?

asperity

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you wonder why no one likes the police, no one trusts the police and why most police officers are self centered control freaks

And people still doubt that we are living in an ever powerful police controlled state?

And you wonder why no one likes the police, no one trusts the police and why most police officers are self centered control freaks

Bit of an exaggeration this, isn't it. I like the police, I trust the police and I don't know any police officers who are self centered control freak.

OK, there will always be the one that lets the others down, but this is true in all walks of life, occupations, etc.

Bit of an exaggeration this, isn't it. I like the police, I trust the police and I don't know any police officers who are self centered control freak.

OK, there will always be the one that lets the others down, but this is true in all walks of life, occupations, etc.

I totally agree Egbert :wink:

As an aside, is it now the practise to encourage coppers to live outside their areas of operational responsibilty? :? Once upon a time, we had local coppers living in police houses IN their local communities; everyone knew them and they knew everyone else - it may be nostalgia but it seemed to work. :?

To say the police are out of control is as far from the truth as it could be. (I speak as one of the " good old time bobbies".

I could write a book of my reasons, but suffice to say the modern police officer is shackled compared with the old days.

What we did was never questioned; now ............

Liked the comments re the bobbies living locally - mandatory in the borough police days, apart from the chief himself). One point was missed is that they always came to and from work on cycles and in uniform which very much added to deterrent policing.

I have no love of the modern police - it was service in my day - but there are so many things going against them. Low numbers; paperwork; targets; initiatives; internal quangos etc etc.

I always say that policemen/women are recruited from your street. They will be little better and no worse on average than say, the people who post on here.

Happy days

Low numbers; paperwork; targets; initiatives; internal quangos etc etc.

I don't believe the numbers are low, it is the things that you rightly list that disable an effective police service. Alas many of the senior officers have grown up in that environment, and probably now accept it as the normal and accepted way of running the service.

As an aside, is it now the practise to encourage coppers to live outside their areas of operational responsibilty? :? Once upon a time, we had local coppers living in police houses IN their local communities; everyone knew them and they knew everyone else - it may be nostalgia but it seemed to work. :?

Unfortunately in this day and age if the copper is known locally, his family become targets by the local villains. :roll:

Paul,s comments - extremely sadly - are probably true.

My only comment is on numbers. When we were a borough service the line of officers stretched almost across the parade room. Amalgamated to Lancs county, the line somehow shortened and a little bit more again when we became Cheshire county.

There was nothing wrong with the county officers but when you have say, 12 jobs and only ten personnel, something has to give.

Add the other things I mentioned earlier, and then patrolling in pairs, the police no longer give the service they once did.

Just ONE of the reasons "fings are not like they used to be". Most of the other factors stem from the government and to a lesser extent, the wider public.

Happy days

And people still doubt that we are living in an ever powerful police controlled state?

I'm not after anything :wink: Baz is right :!:

Traffic Police are the worst of the lot :!::!::!:

... but the coppers also knew where "the villains" lived, and wern't the police houses "alarmed" anyway? :?:wink:
Come off it observer, I'm sure Harry will confirm the bobbies still knoiw where all the villians live, it's getting evidence to put them away for something that is the issue.

And how will an alarm stop a brick through your window, or paintstripper all over your car?

No need to get irritated; I agree: detection is futile IF sentencing is soft; but that doesn't undermine the idea of a permanent operational presence within communities, it's merely another string required for the bow - problem is at the end of the day we're soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime. :roll:

To say the police are out of control is as far from the truth as it could be. (I speak as one of the " good old time bobbies".

I could write a book of my reasons, but suffice to say the modern police officer is shackled compared with the old days.

What we did was never questioned; now ............

Liked the comments re the bobbies living locally - mandatory in the borough police days, apart from the chief himself). One point was missed is that they always came to and from work on cycles and in uniform which very much added to deterrent policing.

I have no love of the modern police - it was service in my day - but there are so many things going against them. Low numbers; paperwork; targets; initiatives; internal quangos etc etc.

I always say that policemen/women are recruited from your street. They will be little better and no worse on average than say, the people who post on here.

Happy days

Harry,

I disagree. The Police today may have targets and namby pamby health and safety things to look out for but they also have something that you probably never had nor ever dreamed of having..... they have a voice. A collective voice. They have black police associations, they have gay police associations, they have black gay police associations and all manner of associations in which to associate and demand equality and god knows what else. So why oh why don't they use the collective voice to demand that the bloody justice system actually puts people away for a long time and not to allow burglars to get community sentences or muggers to get parole?

They are all happy to bang on about nonsense stuff like equal rights for gay coppers and the like but not about "real" policing and justice issues.

They are their own worst enemies when it comes to public opinion which is why public opinion of the police is so low.

Baz, I couldn't agree more with parts of what you say. If you are half as irritated by all the things you mention as I am, then you are really irritated.

The police have about as much political power as the queen. Everything comes down from the government and the home office

Sorry to refer once again to the old days but when we were a borough force the chief constable decided on what was what (aided by local fairly unrestrained magistrates).

He was only answerable to the watch committee. Now, virtually everything is laid down by law or Home Office directives - if there are any magistrates on here, they will probably agree.

If the chief constable and other senior officers are anything other than politically correct,(like the things you mention) their promotion prospects vanish in smoke.

Happy days

The issue of policing has to be viewed in the context of our whole criminal justice system - whilst assured detection can be a deterent to crime, soft sentencing and human rights in prisons are laughing at the whole process. :twisted: Notice the added protection being afforded to the Baby P killers is estimated to cost the taxpayer a ?million per year, then added expense when they get out, to provide re-location and anonymity. :roll: But coming back to the police specifically: it's organisation is anachronistic and requires a re-think, imo we need a multi-tier system with local; regional and national forces tailored to task, less PC human rights straight-jacketing and a low tolerance approach to ALL criminal activity. :twisted:

Notice the added protection being afforded to the Baby P killers is estimated to cost the taxpayer a ?million per year, then added expense when they get out

When they get out :?: should that not be if :wink: I know when it suits your cause better but like alot of your quotes it bends the truth :!::wink: