Teachers and snow

Sparky71

Now that the first snow of the winter has fallen in the North West, I notice, as happens every year, how many schools are closed partly due to "teachers being unable to get to school because of the snow".

Seeing as how the rest of the country manages to get to factories, hospitals and power stations, often at 6am, I fail to see why teachers can't manage to get in for 9.

Perhaps they need to spend a bit of time during their teacher training on driving in snow.

well i managed to get to work but was on a loser money wise. flattened the battery trying to start the bike and had to get a taxi there and back.

six hours worked for a net gain of ten quid less tax etc.( ten quid each way to work :cry: ) would have taken a bus but would not have got there in time to start shift :(

I work in a school (but not as a teacher), any teacher only needs to have a small cough and they are off sick. They can't do any paperwork otherwise they call in their union rep :roll:

These teachers moan about crap wages and poor working conditions - the average teacher pay here is ?40k and the kids are a good bunch. Not a bad craic if you ask me!? At least they have job security :roll:

They're on cloud cuckoo land these teachers :roll:

the average teacher pay here is ?40k

Strange :? The highest pay scale for a teacher is Upper Pay Scale 3 which pays ?35000 - a special needs allowance would take that up to ?37000 :?:?:?

Yes but not in Goat land where facts mean little if they do not support ones point of view. I take it he is a caretaker and we all remember what miserable old so and sos they were :D

So, there's been a bit of snow and half the schools in the North West shut. Right, I'm one of the older members of this site and I remember the Winter of 1946/47. I was only 4 years old but I remember it well. Not only was it one helluva Winter, there was coal rationing and very frequent power cuts.

I went to the local Council School, up a country lane from where I lived, at the time. I can remember walking up the lane when the snow was deeper than my wellies and arriving at school with wet socks which were put on the heating pipes to dry. I remember Mr Snape, the caretaker, shovelling coke into the boiler - from a store that even I, as a 4 year-old, could see was only filling a quarter of the storage space. I do not remember a single day when the school was closed, despite lack of lights at times when there was no power.

I also remember the Winter of 1962/3. I lived near Accrington and I worked in the Tax Office in Bury so I used to travel by steam train every day. I had just got married and my husband was in the RAF. To the end of his life he kept a telegram he received on 2 January 1963 extending his Christmas leave by a week as RAF Yatesbury, Wilts, where he was on a course, was buried under 10' of snow and it was too much trouble to dig it out. I, meanwhile, struggled to work every day. The unheated steam trains used, often, to get "stuck" for several hours at about Ramsbottom and I would arrive in Bury at about 11 a.m. instead of 8 o clock. I used to be told to work through my lunch hour to make up some of the time :shock: but I never took a day off due to the weather.

What on Earth has happened to the British? I find it hard to believe that a bit of snow nearly brings Civilisation to a stand-still...... or, do I? :(

I worked in the Tax Office in Bury

Go down 20 points in league table of nice people!!

so I used to travel by steam train every day

Go back up again.... lovely way to travel. Even now on a summers day; my little boy loves travelling on the steam engines from Bury!

What on Earth has happened to the British? I find it hard to believe that a bit of snow nearly brings Civilisation to a stand-still...... or, do I? :(

Because most people are too namby pamby and liberalistic to care about their jobs or their employers business and think only of themselves

I once drove (with my mate) in an old Montego van from Warrington all the way to Newcastle in the North East to do a job for the National Rivers Authority. We travelled up a frozen A1; driving in the frozen tyre ruts and sliding all the way there and it took almost 7 hours to get there. We did the job over the weekend and then drove back again past abandoned cars and crashes!!

........"and if they told that to the Kids of today they'd never believe you"!

believe it or not i did live within walking/falling distance of work but due to refurbishment i have been temporarily relocated to gorse covet.

as for asp why would it be a problem, it's been done before you know :wink:

in fact anybody can do it, provided the ice is thick enough :roll:

Actually now I come to think about it I actually get paid to sleep on my job :D:D:D:D:D