Old Odeon Warrington - own up who did it ?

Dizzy

Some old photo's of the Odeon on Buttermarket Street Warrington...

So come on... own up.... who remembers going flicking popcorn and boiled sweets from the upper decks onto the people below... guess that's why it was called 'going to the 'flicks' :lol::wink:

No idea of the dates sorry :cry:

odeon2.jpg

odeon3.jpg

odeon1.jpg

Many happy memories of a fine old traditional cinema.

Remember queuing around the building to see Nightmare on Elm Street! :shock:

They even did a stage dance to introduce of the film with a team of Freddie Kruggers jumping about like a scene from Michael Jackson's Thriller.

I also used to do film review column for the now defunct Warrington Mercury.

In the second pic, the odeon appears to be showing Tulsa which according to IMDB was realsed 1949

It's Tulsa, Oklahoma at the start of the oil boom and Cherokee Lansing's rancher father is killed in a fight with the Tanner Oil Company. Cherokee plans revenge by bringing in her own wells with the help of oil expert Brad Brady and childhood friend Jim Redbird. When the oil and the money start gushing in, both Brad and Jim want to protect the land but Cherokee has different ideas

MV5BMTQxMTQ3NzQ0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg3NDgyMQ@@._V1._SX96_SY140_.jpg

• 1 month later...
In the second pic, the odeon appears to be showing Tulsa which according to IMDB was realsed 1949

It's Tulsa, Oklahoma at the start of the oil boom and Cherokee Lansing's rancher father is killed in a fight with the Tanner Oil Company. Cherokee plans revenge by bringing in her own wells with the help of oil expert Brad Brady and childhood friend Jim Redbird. When the oil and the money start gushing in, both Brad and Jim want to protect the land but Cherokee has different ideas

MV5BMTQxMTQ3NzQ0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg3NDgyMQ@@._V1._SX96_SY140_.jpg

and and......?

• 10 months later...
Hi,

can anyone remember what the last film showing at the Odeon was before shutting its doors? I went to the last 'flick' but cant remember what the film was! All the staff were in uniform and lined up down the stairway when we came out. Brought tears to my eyes! :cry:

Yep it was Cliff Hanger with Stalone - and I was at it!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

can anyone remember what the last film showing at the Odeon was before shutting its doors? I went to the last 'flick' but cant remember what the film was! All the staff were in uniform and lined up down the stairway when we came out. Brought tears to my eyes! :cry:

Yep it was Cliff Hanger with Stalone - and I was at it!

Also in the 60's and 70's around Bridge Foot when there was only one bridge, does anyone remember the pink foam drifting thru' the air after being churned by the weirs at Woolston and Howley in the River Mersey passing the old Farmers United and Castle Rubber works?.....ah the good ol' days?