Bin Strike

Bill

I see our bins didn’t get emptied today and it’ll probably be another two weeks before they come again. I’d not heard anything about the bin men going on strike otherwise we might have held off filling the bin so much. I don’t know if this is just a local thing or indeed whether this strike was arranged to coincide with the conservative party conference?

Either way I bet they won’t be getting many tips come Christmas. ☹

Bill 😊

I’ve been in bed really poorly for the last couple of days but my wife didn’t know anything about it and neither did my neighbour who came to ask if we knew why they weren’t emptied.

Seems the countries going to pot these days with all these strikes and you have to wonder when it’s all going to end. ☹

Bill 😊

Not quite a national strike just the councils where they got a ballot passed presumably. The negotiations are between the Local Government Association but the individual councils employ the staff of nationally agreed terms. A bit like the Rail dispute. The unions are effectively campaigning for a new government they they control. 

The English councils and linked organisations that have secured mandates for strike action are:

• Bath and North East Somerset
  • Chesterfield
  • Coventry
  • Cumberland
  • Darlington
  • Haringey
  • Ipswich
  • Newham
  • North Tyneside
  • Tower Hamlets
  • Truro
  • Sefton
  • Southwark
  • Warrington
  • Westminster
  • Wigan
  • Greater Manchester Fire and Civil Defence
  • Derby Homes

The Welsh councils are:

• Cardiff
  • Cynon Valley Waste,
  • Gwynedd
  • Wrexham
  • Tamar Bridge
  • Ferry Port

Maggie thatcher managed to put an end to it...:roll:

i think the thing that mostly sets the unions off is the gov setting the rises at a flat rate below inflation for the workers and then setting a 30% pay rise themselves.

well accepting a 30% pay rise at any rate.

hope you get over whatever lurgy is affecting you soon bill. i am currently sniffling and snuffling with the effects of the flu jab. always get it, lasts three or four days and then i am fine.....🤑

I had my flu and covid jab on Saturday but I’m fairly certain I got this off my wife who started with it Thursday night. I was already starting to feel a bit flaky before the jabs with a bit of a cough and a runny nose but by the evening I was pricing up coffins. Day five now and still feel awful but each day it’s a bit easier. I've never had any ill effects from any of my vaccinations.

We’ve got workmen patching up the pot holes along the road today but I’m not sure if they’re from the council or some other agency.

Bill 😊

well no bin collections today, but stay tuned  for the possibility of no bin collections tomorrow either....:roll:

the council say they are assessing it on a day to day basis, so they don't know either.....🤷‍♀️

they do advise you put your bin out and if not emptied by 4 pm take it back in again and try next fortnight....:blink:

mind you there could be a few bob in overtime for the binmen to clear the backlog once this is settled.....:D

Thanks for that but was already told by my neighbour that I’d be two weeks.

I’ve just been down to the office and the striking workers in their high vis gear are giving out waves to anyone who honks their horn for them.

My son said give them a honk, but I said I’d rather just have my bin emptied.

Bill 😊

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Gary said:

The average bin man earns  £20,665 so the offered increase is 9.3%. there has been a pay deal in each of the previous years.

The Three unions pay claim is for most council workers is :

•  RPI (10.70 per cent1 ) + 2.0 per cent on all pay points (so 12.7%)
  •  Consideration of a flat rate increase to hourly rates of pay in order to bring the minimum rate up to £15 per hour within two years
  •  A review and improvement of NJC terms for family leave and pay
  •  A review of job evaluation outcomes for school staff whose day-to-day work includes working on Special Educational Needs (SEN)
  •  An additional day of annual leave for personal or well-being purposes
  •  A homeworking allowance for staff for whom it is a requirement to work from home (presumably not for binmen!)
  •  A reduction in the working week by two hours
  •  A review of the pay spine, including looking at the top end, and discussions about the link between how remuneration can be used to improve retention

The strike is using binmen because they are the only service that the council has that affects everyone. 

I am getting sick of this political campaigning by the unions now.

The story latest  from Gary

Council calls on UNITE to cancel planned strikes as unions accept national pay award - Warrington Worldwide (warrington-worldwide.co.uk)

The agreement information from the negotiators  - the Local Government Association

Local government pay 2023-24 | Local Government Association

You will see that UNITE are not really agreeing but they are minority players in the joint committee. Either way there will be no XMAS present for the binmen this year. I am more than fed up with the public sector as a whole, they are poor value for money.

Warrington Council say they can't pay agency workers to empty the black bins because it is illegal. The law was changed to allow this to be done and Coventry City Council, also a Labour Authority, also are also plagued by Unite strike action are indeed employing agency staff. WBC need to get their fingers out now that the basis of the Unite strike ballot has been overturned and the strike action is effectively illegal because it falls outside the terms of the ballot held. Time for the council to side with Council Tax payers and not the employees for once.

at present they are still on strike, dates are from 8th to the 24th November.

as far as i know they will just collect as normal when normal service is resumed.

the council advice is flatten what you can, take stuff to the recycling centres or ask the neighbours if they have room in their bin.

ps you won't get a refund on your council tax as there is no provision for that, surprise,surprise.

Has anyone taken recycling waste to the tip recently? Have they worked out that they need to accept a mix of materials into a skip as they would have been in the blue bin? If they insist on people separating the types of waste while they are at the tip if will take a great deal of time. If not why not the council have now had weeks to to get their act together?

Under the circumstances I think it’s totally impractical to attempt any kind of sorting at the tip. The queues are already long and even if the waste had been pre-sorted it still takes far too much time to find the right skips for specific waste.

At Woolston, there’s been several occasions where general waste was not being accepted which left a lot of people frustrated having queued to get in. During the strike, it would make sense allocate more skips for mixed household waste and to inform people not to cause congestion by attempting to recycle.

Bill 😊

Having a skip in every post code would not solve the problem though as even the largest skip would be full in a day with old mattresses, fridges and other non household waste such as bricks and garden waste.

not only that but given the number of wheely bin fires a large skip would be tempting fate. mind you there has been a decline in those recently.

I was just wondering how we dealt with waste when I was a boy because I can’t remember any local tips back then.

We only had one bin used mainly for ash from the fire and that was emptied every week. Anything awkward that wouldn’t quite fit in the bin was just thrown into the open sided bin wagon.

Bill 😊

When i were a lad potato peelings were usually boiled up and fed to the chickens.

odds and ends of vegetables were usually put towards compost and anything burnable went in the fire to save on coal.

fish heads fed the cat and any spare bones from Sunday lunch went to the dog,

very little went in the bin apart from ash and stuff that was inedible, unburnable or not fit for compost.

then the smokeless zones came in and suddenly bins started filling up very quickly due to that new fangled central heating replacing coal fires...:roll:

• Upvote 1