Gas shortage this winter?

Bill

Well, talking of "delusion";  the West went into this with the deluded belief that they could sanction their biggest energy supplier with sanctions, and then moaned when they realised the supplier could turn off the tap, and sell to India or China.   As for "boots on the ground";   the CIA and Nato special forces are in on the ground in Ukraine, I've seen footage of US troops active in the combat zone, although most will be embedded in command and control units, to make sure the Ukrainians keep fighting.   Rather than speculate, it may be better to await the Winter freeze, hardening the ground for the predicted Russian offensive;  where for the first time, manpower parity will apply and the old Soviet steamroller style will apply.   Meanwhile, we'll be curled up at home fearing the next blackout, which will turn our TVs and computers off;  keeping us blissfully unaware of events, good or bad, around us.   😉 

21 minutes ago, Observer II said:

As for "boots on the ground";   the CIA and Nato special forces are in on the ground in Ukraine, I've seen footage of US troops active in the combat zone, although most will be embedded in command and control units, to make sure the Ukrainians keep fighting.      😉 

No you haven't - you tube has video of volunteers in the international corps, not serving US soldiers. You wouldn't recognise the CIA if you saw them and there were no NATO forces doing training when the war started. The last part is a fabrication I believe unless you can show evidence from the web which is not traceable to a Russian source. See, I am open to persuasion!

Yes I have - the footage involved  Ukrainian Army personel, some with US accents, at the front,  although they would normally advise from the rear using hand screens..  The CIA had an HQ in Kiev, later moved to Lvov and possibly Poland,  and would be dressed in civvys. They are well and truly there.      :rolleyes:

Just a little follow up on the bridge sabotage. According to the BBC this morning, official sources in Russia have said that they’ve arrested five Russians and three Armenians believed to be responsible. The explosion looks to have come from a small boat passing under the bridge rather than a lorry as at first thought.

Bill 😊

No, they won't repeat in because it is not corroborated it is just another set of guff from Lavrov, who is about as discredited as you can get. Moscow claims mercenaries from Western Balkans fight in Ukraine – EURACTIV.com The man is just a failed diplomat causing trouble. McGregor is a Republican who is using Ukraine to attack the US Government, he is not a source just an echo chamber. 

Right so leaving all the conspiracy theories aside and getting back to what we the public can do if the worst happens, it was interesting to hear on telly this morning that the energy companies have said that 90% of people have already significantly reduced their energy consumption. A while back, my provider suggested I increase my monthly payment to £125 to cover the expected increase, but now just three months later I received this

There’s been a change in your usage

Have you recently been more aware of the energy you’re using? Perhaps you’re leaving fewer lights on or keeping the heating on for less time. This all makes a difference and can have a significant impact on the energy you’re using.

So now they’re dropping this by £18 which surprises me as I would have thought they’d be quite happy to have any excess payments in their account. Maybe they’re more socially aware than we generally give them credit for but either way, if most of the public are making similar reductions then maybe the threat of power cuts will drop to zero.

Bill 😊

Operation "freeze for NATO" has been brought on by the West's economic sanctions on Russian energy dependence, now compromised by sanctions, so totally self inflicted.  This has been recognised by many in the EU, where mass public protests have called for NATO and the sanctions to end.  In parallel with this, we have the globalist agenda of the WEF and eco-extremists,  attacking farmers, and thus food production in Europe to make life even worse.   Their political allies in Governments are going along with this and alienating their own people, causing a move to the right in Italy, Sweden and elsewhere.   The MSM are covering up this process, by simply not reporting it, and feeding the public with propaganda, to encourage their self harm by freezing for Ukraine or Global Climate change.   So for those that have sufficient financial fat to burn,  looking after themselves here and now, is preferable to passing it on in a will.       :rolleyes:

I don’t think that used to be the case with my supplier Dave and that’s why my monthly bills have been so low for the last couple of years as I ate away at the large amount of credit I’d built up. Maybe considering the current situation they don’t want to be seen as uncaring and capitalizing while so many are struggling.

I reckon the suppliers are smart enough to be able to accurately estimate the reduction resulting from a price increase, but I believe that there are many like myself who are simply responding to a national threat brought about by the war in the Ukraine. I doubt their computer models have any way of factoring in the effects of this kind of public response.

Bill 😊

probably the case bill. "GREEDY gas companies etc." is not the sort of headline they would be looking for at present.

I do remember my mother getting all flustered over one of her bills from the electirc company she was with. apparently she owe them over £800.

I called them and asked how this had happened and they said she had not been paying her bill.

my reply was that they had better send somebody down to cut the electric off in that case as we were not paying.

the look on the guys face when he came to sort out the meter was priceless. my mother had been on a card meter for about ten years so all electric used was pre-paid.

turns out they had her address down for somebody else.

her gas was paid by direct debit and when she passed away they owed her £300. getting that back was like pulling teeth from a crocodile.

can't say that i have had trouble finding those items,but then again i can't say that i have looked.

rennies would not normally be on an open shelf though, usually a behind the counter item to stop young children getting at them and thinking they are sweets.

not being one for peppers when i need them i normally buy just one or a pack of three.

am off shopping later will have a quick look if i remember.

I can’t think what relevance these items have to surviving a winter gas shortage unless it something to do with heartburn rather than gas burn 😊

Anyway, back on the energy, it’s only a couple of weeks back that my provider said their new suggested monthly payment of £125 was perhaps a bit too high and dropped my DD payment by £18. Maybe they read my post about it being better for them having my money in their account because now they’re suggesting increasing it higher than ever to £155. I’m already £612 in credit with them and according to my readings, I’ll have an even higher credit figure next month.

Bill 😊

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I can’t think what relevance these items have to surviving a winter gas shortage unless it something to do with heartburn rather than gas burn 😊

Anyway, back on the energy, it’s only a couple of weeks back that my provider said their new suggested monthly payment of £125 was perhaps a bit too high and dropped my DD payment by £18. Maybe they read my post about it being better for them having my money in their account because now they’re suggesting increasing it higher than ever to £155. I’m already £612 in credit with them and according to my readings, I’ll have an even higher credit figure next month.

Bill 😊

I don't suppose they will be keen on showing you their calculations! I have been trying to model the gas usage based on the variables that the National Grid use to forecast consumption for the North West on a daily basis and it is a nightmare to apply it to an individual property. So the upshot is that I suspect they don't really know what anyones usage is really going to be.

well i have a had fun with mine after getting bills for three different amounts within a week.

The first said i owed £12.00. the second said they owed me £64.00 and the third that i owed them £197.00

After spending half an hour talking to a human being in the customer department trying to figure out which one was correct and why. they raised a complaint within the system and knocked £20.00 of the bill so i only owed them £177.00

every bill i have had so far has said i a using slightly more electric than in the past but much less gas. This i can understand as prior to jan this year i was using gas fires for heating. i now have a single radiator to heat the main room which is sufficient to also heat the back bedroom and take the chill off the air in the front bedroom if i leave the doors open. (this due to the open plan staircase that lets heat upstairs)

other heating is supplied by the tv and pc which kick out a fair bit of heat when in use.

all i have to do is educate mrs sid to not stand with the front door wide open gabbing and i might even start to save some money......:rolleyes:

I’m still a bit baffled by how they’re coming up with the numbers. To me it should be as simple as looking at your typical annual usage and multiplying it by the amount of increase. Then it’s just a case of saying that if you don’t make any reductions in use, then you’d be expected to pay x.

I heard the other day that there’s currently no shortage of gas in the UK and most of Europe and that shipments of LPG have had to be suspended. Maybe this is on account of the unseasonal weather we’ve had this month, or it could be that a lot of people are being a bit more careful with their energy use. Either way, the threat of power cuts seems be unlikely now, but a bit of southern sunshine is still appealing.

Bill 😊