Great Britain?

Bill

I often despair with this country of ours and how slowly things get done. I just heard on the news this morning that our so called “experts” have finally agreed on the number of employees a company can have before they need to identify the number of calories on each food item served in their canteens. How long did it take them to work out this critical figure of 250 employees and just where is the line draw?

No doubt all the HR company advisors will be leaping into action updating their websites and paperwork to explain the importance of this ruling as it’s vital that businesses comply with such an important piece of legislation. It’s a legal minefield raising the question, is a contract or temp worker counted as an employee?

Rumour has it that the unions aren’t happy with this and call the ruling discriminatory. They also warn that they anticipate a spate of legal claims from smaller companies and especially those that serve bacon butties without the vital calorie information.

Bill 😊

I find it unbelievable ... We have a pandemic and war raging in Ukraine plus cost of living rises out of this world 

And some nincompoops have time to decide the need to identify the minimum number of calories on each food item sold in works canteens 🙄

All I can say to them is,, GET A SODDING LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly and truthfully am reaching the point of despondency 😔

The only thing i ever worried about was the price and how much extra i could sneak on the plate before i was charged for it. (usually two extra rashers of bacon if i squashed it flat.)

If i am honest i can say that i have never bought anything because it is low in calories. it usually because i like the taste. in fact the only time i ever read the labels on foodstuffs is when it is something i have not cooked before, usually along the lines of 2 minutes at gas mark three in the microwave, stir and a further 2 mine, leave standing for one minute and serve.

Counting calories is to me meaningless. Approximately 200 calories per serving has no real meaning when you eat the whole thing by yourself and it says serves three people.( it rarely does serve three it barely serves one if you are a big eater like me)....🤫

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Evil Sid said:

The only thing i ever worried about was the price and how much extra i could sneak on the plate before i was charged for it. (usually two extra rashers of bacon if i squashed it flat.)....🤫

I always found that a nice Christmas present for the canteen staff and a friendly smile each meal time had the desired benefit of a decent sized portion each dinnertime all year round 😉

The point is Sid, everyone and their grannies knows that certain foods are higher in calories than others but only in Britain could we have bureaucrats sitting down to make rules to determine the exact size of a business canteen that needs to tell us this.

When we left the EU, most thought we were leaving daft stuff like this behind, but I said at the time, when it comes to making rules for the sake of it, us Brits take some beating. All the pen pushers involved in this pointless exercise in stupidity should be made to go out and get a real job.

Bill 😊

This has been on the way since before we left the EU. The change affects food businesses who act as caterers in multiple canteens too so national chains who are sub-contracted by individual small firms will have to comply if they employ 250 staff in the food business even if there are less than 250 employees served by the canteen. I couldn't agree more that the closet nannies who come up with this rubbish should be sacked. I have felt that way since they started putting notices to say that the works canteen served Halal meat! They weren't interested when I said I objected to Halal meat on principle!!

May not need to worry about calories, as food shortages start to strip the s/market shelves.  Nothing to do with Brexit,  but everything to do with oil and energy prices.  Our greenhouse industry claims it will no longer be viable to produce tomatoes, cucumbers etc, due to increased heating costs,  so a healthy salad seems off the menu.  This energy spike is affecting growers in Holland, Spain and N/Africa, and a shortage of Ukrainian grain will impact too.  So, with folk eating less or not at all, the obesity crisis should disappear.    :unsure:

19 hours ago, Observer II said:

May not need to worry about calories, as food shortages start to strip the s/market shelves.  Nothing to do with Brexit,  but everything to do with oil and energy prices.    This energy spike is affecting growers in Holland, Spain and N/Africa, and a shortage of Ukrainian grain will impact too.  So, with folk eating less or not at all, the obesity crisis should disappear.    :unsure:

See the source image

I've heard that the WW2 rationing diet, was quite healthy; and wasn't a weight gain risk; especially if you were a Japanese POW.     😉                        Seems Martin Lewis is concerned that food shortages will lead to civil strife, suppose we're all going to have to use our loaf.    😑