Green EU -

Not the environment, but green with envy over UK vaccine rollout.   Von De Lyen is now threatening to stop exports of the AZ vaccine to the UK, if we don't allow them to share in it's supply; this from Leaders and Countries that have, not only failed to order sufficient supply in time, but have undermined the efficacy of the AZ vaccine, with now widespread vax hesitancy by their citizens.   This, coupled with their petty bureaucracy  over N/Ireland trade and UK fishing; just add to the impression that they can't adjust to the fact that Brexit isn't a failure and that we are finally an independent sovereign Nation.   It would seem better for us to renege on the so called Brexit deal and revert to no deal with WTO rules, and a hard border in N/Ireland.    😠

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Not the environment, but green with envy over UK vaccine rollout.   Von De Lyen is now threatening to stop exports of the AZ vaccine to the UK, if we don't allow them to share in it's supply; this from Leaders and Countries that have, not only failed to order sufficient supply in time, but have undermined the efficacy of the AZ vaccine, with now widespread vax hesitancy by their citizens.   This, coupled with their petty bureaucracy  over N/Ireland trade and UK fishing; just add to the impression that they can't adjust to the fact that Brexit isn't a failure and that we are finally an independent sovereign Nation.   It would seem better for us to renege on the so called Brexit deal and revert to no deal with WTO rules, and a hard border in N/Ireland.    😠

We do not import AZ from Europe it is the Pfizer she is threatening. As for you suggestion, just No, I've had enough of that particular fantasy island,

There are AZ labs in Europe (Belgium, Netherlands and Italy) but the UK supplies come from Oxford and Keele with a top up recently from the Serum Institute in India. India has now placed a restriction on export so that will not likely be repeated which is probably why supplies will fall after March 29th.

21 minutes ago, Bill said:

I thought most of our AZ vaccine came from Belgium, didn't know we produced any here, I thought it was only development.

Looks like this could all get a bit awkward.

Bill :)

Bill, the issue is that ALL of our Pfizer vaccine comes from Belgium but there is another facility in Germany  which the German government has ordered from outside the EU deal. 

You really have got to love these burghers of Europe. With every day that goes by, my gratitude at leaving the EU is reinforced.

I have never witnessed such petty & spiteful people as those  who are entrusted with running the EU. Unelected Bureaucrats elevated to positions of power are not a good idea.

• Upvote 4

With most of the EU going into their third lockdown, we've got a growing surge to open up in the UK;  if they do, it will be quickly followed by yet another lockdown.  However, if they are going to give in to the strain, can't they just open up "open air" activities, with no crowding  EG> Pubs with ale delivered to spaced tables and no one inside ?     😷

51 minutes ago, Observer II said:

With most of the EU going into their third lockdown, we've got a growing surge to open up in the UK;  if they do, it will be quickly followed by yet another lockdown.  However, if they are going to give in to the strain, can't they just open up "open air" activities, with no crowding  EG> Pubs with ale delivered to spaced tables and no one inside ?     😷

Here is the plan (Roadmap out of lockdown (publishing.service.gov.uk)), it is probably not going to change. Whitty and Valance seemed pretty clear that the elements are finely balanced and last minute chopping and changing would likely cause everything to slow down in my opinion. What you ask about is in Step 2, not before April 12. It is only 3 and a half weeks away if the data keeps being acceptable as Step 1 becomes measurable.

Looking at the charts for our nearest neighbour France, they all seemed to have had their second peak a couple of months before us. They brought down the rate of infections just as rapidly as we did but then their rate has been allowed to increase gradually over the last couple of months and is now over four times higher than ours and they need to lockdown again.

To me this shows the result of relaxing the rules too early and I’m worried that seeing our figures already starting to stall that we look set to follow France. As much as I hate all this lockdown, I think the numbers ideally have to drop a lot further before we ease off on the restrictions. 

If the current restrictions are only just managing to hold the numbers steady then it’s a safe bet that relaxing restriction will be guaranteed to make things worse. I hope I'm proved wrong. :( But as Mrs Green says, if the deaths continue to fall and the infection rate doesn’t get much worse then we may just have to live with it.

France.jpg

Bill :)

1 hour ago, Bill said:

To me this shows the result of relaxing the rules too early and I’m worried that seeing our figures already starting to stall that we look set to follow France. As much as I hate all this lockdown, I think the numbers ideally have to drop a lot further before we ease off on the restrictions. 

I fear that as well; but hope and pray our vaccination success will save us from that fate. fingers crossed 🤞

I think opening pubs would be a disastrous thing to do just now.

I love a pint as much as the next man but don't mind waiting a while longer in this case.

I share your concerns folks, as I believe a majority of the public do; but we have a significant and influential minority with economic interests who just won't stop mithering Gov to let rip.   As soon as the sun comes out, they'll be down to the beaches again en mass, leading to yet another lockdown in Autumn.    😷     

And now they are allowing German citizens loose in Spain what kind of logic is that ?????????????

Who are worse.. German authorities for allowing it or Spain for letting them in .

Tens of thousands of German tourists reportedly arrived in the Balearic Islands at the weekend, in a welcome boost for local businesses.However, this has not gone down well around the country as Spaniards are still facing a travel ban due to coronavirus restrictions.

tagreuters.com2021binary_LYNXMPEH2L17R-BASEIMAGE.jpg

On 3/22/2021 at 11:06 AM, Observer II said:

As if the protesters weren't enough;  we've got Macron and Merkle threatening to freeze the export of the AZ vax to the UK, while encouraging the non use of stocks held in the EU - beam me up Scottie.    :rolleyes:    😷

Like I said before the EU does not export AZ vaccine to the UK (since the test batches for trials). AZ have confirmed that no components parts are imported from the EU to make our AZ vaccine in Oxford Biomedica or Cobra Biologics in Keele. Pfizer on the other hand appear to depend on the export of lipids from Croda in Yorkshire to make their mRNA vaccine.

The EU has been receiving AZ from Belgium and Maryland in the USA. Maryland has been stockpiling tens of millions of doses of AZ but following the US trial required by the FDA AZ has said they will submit a request for Emergency Use Authorisation in the US. Interestingly it has higher efficacy that the similar Janssen vaccine which has already been approved by the FDA so the AZ is likely to be approved and thus the Maryland supply to the EU will dry up. This may explain why the focus is on the Halix facility at Leiden in the Netherlands which has poor yield and has yet to be approved by the EMA. The UK has sent ten engineers to help them fix the Halix plant. 

This is all getting a bit messy but the politics is worse!

Seems the EU are making themselves look ever more ridiculous;  the Italians have raided a warehouse containing AZ vax, in the belief it was destined for the UK.   Meanwhile their take up of the vax is poor, while stocks go unused, but they still obsess about the UK rollout.      :rolleyes:      😷