Town Centre -

Observer II

Passing through the T/C today, I noticed an all male gang of M/Eastern looking types hanging around the skittles.   Presume these will be part of the 1.5 million illegals now in the UK, demanding asylum ?   With Priti being undermined by her civil servants and the HR lawyers,  it's no surprise to hear rumours of this Government giving them all amnesty and permission to stay in the UK.    :rolleyes:   😠

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Thinnking of town and how to bring things back to normal...................

Going to be a hard job to fill a lot of the empty shops now appearing everywhere.

One big problem will be Debenhams.

Why not have a walk in health centre, Widnes/St Helens/Runcorn have one. And it would ease pressure on A&E at the hospital. Plus increase footfall in GS.. It's a win win situation.

Well it's an idea 🤔

Problem is,  folk have learnt to do everything from home now, due to lock downs; plus on-line sales are cheaper (according to Asp).   So we, or at least those on line, are the authors of T/C demise.   Which now begs the question what is the T/C for, certainly not for shopping it seems, so that'll leave it to pubs and restaurants when the lemmings are released perhaps ?    😷

19 hours ago, Observer II said:

Problem is,  folk have learnt to do everything from home now, due to lock downs; plus on-line sales are cheaper (according to Asp).   So we, or at least those on line, are the authors of T/C demise.   Which now begs the question what is the T/C for, certainly not for shopping it seems, so that'll leave it to pubs and restaurants when the lemmings are released perhaps ?    😷

All the more reason to utilise thes buildings into something for the community as I've already mentioned a walk in, but also a Police Hub and Library spring to mind

I had a walk through St Helens last Monday ,their High St is in even worse condition ,not helped by the building of the off town centre shopping park that needs a car to get to .  They don't even have any buses going past it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

1 hour ago, Davy51 said:

I had a walk through St Helens last Monday ,their High St is in even worse condition ,not helped by the building of the off town centre shopping park that needs a car to get to .  They don't even have any buses going past it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

I suppose our high street will never return as it was but I guess it's just part of evolving and moving with the times.

My generation will miss it a lot but for younger groups it's just a cute image of the past , and they won't even miss it that much; same as we have adapted to no local corner shops or pubs just something that once was and now just a fond memory.

We will conveniently forget the filth and air pollution that accompanied it all 

See the source image

I heard they’re going to be using one of the closed off stores in Golden Square as a temporary location for the library and museum while the buildings are being refurbished. Maybe something like this could be made into a permanent feature. I'd bet it’ll attract more people than at their current out of the way location.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Better than hanging around street corners or sitting fire to bins in the parks.

I've been to several places where it's all almost an entertainment complex and it seemed ok. The only trouble is here in the UK we have a mentality of going out to get legless and generating piles of litter.

Bill :) 

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

I heard they’re going to be using one of the closed off stores in Golden Square as a temporary location for the library and museum while the buildings are being refurbished. Maybe something like this could be made into a permanent feature. I'd bet it’ll attract more people than at their current out of the way location.

Bill 😊

Yes the current location is a bit off-putting a fair hike from town centre and undesirables seem to frequent this area for whatever reason

I think part of the problem is that the new shops are all a bit on the large size for how much business they do. How about turning Debenhams into an ice skating rink of even a swimming baths, there’s no end of other things the unwanted stores could be used for.

In America the number of places like Golden Square that you can find totally deserted these days is unbelievable. They seem to build a Mall then within a couple of years a new one pops up and the original one ends up derelict. The formula for an effective town centre has changed forever and I don’t see any way of it returning to how it once was.

Bill 😊

Well Latchy, the way I see it is that places that only attract a small percentage of people from a local area but are in sufficient demand overall should be centrally located. Just think back a while when the only cinema was at Westbrook or the ten-pin bowling on Winwick Road. Ok if you lived out that way but a real bugger to get to from the other side of town if you’re using public transport. Things like that should be in the town centre for the convenience of the public.

We shouldn’t really need public toilets Obs if we have sufficient buildings with public access but that only works if we can control the idiots that would abuse them. And it’s the same with littering, it needs firm laws that people won’t break rather than the cotton wool rules that people ignore even when they’re not half cut.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Latch, I wish you had panned a little right with the photo, you would have seen me waiting for my date in front of Boots, probably been stood up again.   That’s an interesting question, how long would you wait before deciding she was a no show ?

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:15 PM, Stallard12 said:

Latch, I wish you had panned a little right with the photo, you would have seen me waiting for my date in front of Boots, probably been stood up again.   That’s an interesting question, how long would you wait before deciding she was a no show ?

See the source image

We could view the death of shopping as an opportunity; an opportunity to provide much needed housing, or rather flats, for our young people.   Using existing buildings or facades, to provide multi-occupancies.   However it would need to be affordable; such cheap reduction in in housing need and thus demand, would impact prices throughout the housing market, providing opportunities throughout the food chain.   :unsure:

• Upvote 1