Town Centre -

Observer II

3 minutes ago, Observer II said:

We could view the death of shopping as an opportunity; an opportunity to provide much needed housing, or rather flats, for our young people.   Using existing buildings or facades, to provide multi-occupancies.   However it would need to be affordable; such cheap reduction in in housing need and thus demand, would impact prices throughout the housing market, providing opportunities throughout the food chain.   :unsure:

You have hit the nail on the head there obs.

But town centres are going to be pretty souless places to walk round.

53 minutes ago, Observer II said:

We could view the death of shopping as an opportunity; an opportunity to provide much needed housing, or rather flats, for our young people.   Using existing buildings or facades, to provide multi-occupancies.   However it would need to be affordable; such cheap reduction in in housing need and thus demand, would impact prices throughout the housing market, providing opportunities throughout the food chain.   :unsure:

Perhaps moving the university campus into the town centre might stimulate the economy for a start especially if on the doorstep accommodation is needed.

2 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

You have hit the nail on the head there obs.

But town centres are going to be pretty souless places to walk round.

Not exactly Latch;  OK even youngsters may need a Market and some shops;  but they'll probably get all the pubs, restaurants, fast food joints and rave venues they can handle.   In terms of transport requirement, that would decrease somewhat because of their central location and virtual activity, so perhaps a win win.    :unsure:

18 hours ago, Observer II said:

Not exactly Latch;  OK even youngsters may need a Market and some shops;  but they'll probably get all the pubs, restaurants, fast food joints and rave venues they can handle.   

Oh no ! you mean Town Centre will turn into one massive Bridge Street ..🤣🤣

See the source imageSee the source image

do they build house anymore?

every planning application that comes up seems to be for "apartments" or flats as we called them in my younger days. Calling them apartments just means they can charge more than if the called them flats.

A friend lives in one of the newer build houses and has less room in that than when she lived in the terraced house down the road from me. Her house consists of one main room, a small kitchen with a bathroom toilet off that, Two bedrooms a master that is about three quarter the size of the main room and a second bedroom that is the size of the kitchen plus a quarter of the main room.

Apartment does sound better than a flat and infinitely more modern than a maisonette where granny used to live. I suppose they could brand them as suites, that’s even more appealing or make the top ones just a bit bigger and sell them as penthouses. 😊 Either way they’re all just similar looking flats to me.

It’s life these days Sid but not as you’d know it. 😊

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bill said:

Apartment does sound better than a flat and infinitely more modern than a maisonette where granny used to live. I suppose they could brand them as suites, that’s even more appealing or make the top ones just a bit bigger and sell them as penthouses. 😊 Either way they’re all just similar looking flats to me.

It’s life these days Sid but not as you’d know it. 😊

Bill 😊