De-woked TV -

Observer II

If your fed up with Bame.B.C. , woke CH4; it seems alternatives are going to become available, led by presenters like Andrew Niel; designed to counter the London PC centric garbage were being fed.   The risk of course, is like the internet, that we retreat into our echo chambers, and become even more polarised.   However there's certainly a case for change, given the left wing bias of current TV news and current affairs .     😠

• Upvote 1

No Sid, it's about nonsense like - Birmingham Council changing it's street names to include "Diversity Ave" and "Equality Ave".   Some pathetic PC liberal objecting to Laura Kuinsberg using the term "nitty gritty", claiming the term derived from the slave trade. A Labour think tank coming up with an idea to change our Armed Forces to a "Human Security Service", no doubt dressed in pink tu-tu's and tasked with spreading love and tolerance throughout the battle field.  :rolleyes:     😠

• Haha 1

But if you shut yourself away from certain news sources because you don’t care for the way in which their leaning, then in a way you’re only fooling yourself. They all have some degree of human editorial control that we detect and then slot them into one group or another. In my opinion, anyone who refuses to view or read anything classed as mainstream because it doesn’t meet with their view of the world is one the first step to becoming detached from both reality and society.

Despite anything we might think, we’ve all already been unconsciously influence or moulded into the people we are throughout our entire lives, and that includes me. I may not have put this quite right and it isn’t pointed at anyone here so read it for what it is.

Bill 😊

I think that is what Bill is getting at. What you, Obs, describe as NOT Mainstream in fact is. What you perhaps meant is that it does not reflect the MAJORITY view. But Bill identifies that the Mainstream view is indeed determined by a MINORITY that control  the medium. You should not, he says, cut yourself off from the MAINSTREAM because it contains things you don't agree with. It is right and important that you complain about the propaganda - it is real and you are right. But what I think most of us want is for the mainstream media to be available and reflect the views of the majority of the country and not the few with sharp elbows and loud voices.

That is indeed the view of the new BBC Director General and  Chairman and I suspect that some of the people and programmes you object about may well be on borrowed time.

49 minutes ago, Observer II said:

But that's the point Bill - IT'S NOT MAINSTREAM -  it's being superimposed by an influential minority who control the levers of public propaganda and education.   An exercise that even Gobels would envy.    😠

It didn't do them any good last year when despite their over the top hate coverage of all things Leave. WE LEFT 😉

Thank's for that Con, it's good to know someone understood what I was stuggling to say.

Well at least Mt Gobels whoever he is will be happy Obs. There’s loads of stuff shown on the TV news that doesn’t sit well with me but no doubt others might argue we need even more of it. Whether one channel gives a bit more emphasis on one thing than another is to be expected otherwise we’d only need one news channel.

I have a friend who recently told me that he’ll never watch the BBC again because he doesn’t believe it reflects the views of the majority. That’s his opinion but if a public service company like the BBC with all its fair reporting mechanisms can’t get it right then what chance is there with the commercial companies?

I do get a bit concerned when I see people like my own son who hardly ever watches TV and certainly not the news, posting stuff online that he’s read on some obscure website. If he was an uneducated idiot, I’d understand but he’s university educated and these days runs my business. But the truth is, he’s only doing the same as the majority of the younger generation in preferring on demand content that’s been automatically tailored to his particular point of view.

Bill 😊

EG:  Boats full of illegal migrants were landing on our beaches in record numbers all last year; the reports on BBC were minimal. Anyway, the Tories are finally moving to clamp down on this nonsense, with their Common Sense Group in Parliament and they've made a start by changing the DG.     😠

But the BBC is a public broadcaster, you pay for it and you have he right to complain directly to them to tell them you’re not seeing enough. As far as I know, the BBC are the only tv company that has a dedicated airtime slot for people to complain on and where program producers are often brought on to explain their reasonings behind some of the content.

But whatever they do, they can't keep all of the people happy all of the time and I guess that includes you Obs. :)

Bill 😊

From what I've read on the subject of complaints to the BBC, they have a standard reply format which basically says "We've looked into your complaint and believe that we gave a fair and balanced account of the events/ listened to both sides of the argument/ covered the events in sufficient detail/ can find no evidence to back up your complaints - so crawl back under the stone you slithered out from. P.S. don't forget to pay your TV Tax".

• Haha 1

Which is infinitely more than you get from the commercial stations.

I would have thought that the BBC would have been astute enough to recognise the size of their silent majority and to take this into account when considering a minority of view complaints. I don’t quite get the voting bit Obs, is it something like complaining on ice?

Bill 😊

Funny, i checked my email this morning as usual i had one from aunty beeb asking me if i would take part in a survey, Anybody else get these?

it includes a link but think it is specific to my email account or my bbc account online.

Have your say

We’re interested to understand your views on the BBC and some of the other services you use.

If you’d like to have a say, please take part in our survey about the BBC. It should take no longer than 5 minutes. We’ll use this feedback, alongside your online BBC activity to understand how we can improve the BBC’s products and services.