24 hour vaccinations

asperity

I don’t quite understand this. On the news this morning, the BBC’s resident doctor said that you don’t need to go and queue at one of these large centres because you can choose to be jabbed at the local surgery provided you stick to the appointment time. I can only assume that when we get the call to attend, there’s a choice.

Bill 😊

This is what I'm hoping will happen Bill, it's a 20 minute walk to my GP surgery as it is, so an appointment during normal working hours is ideal. I assume that people queuing up for the jab need to get it done for work. I'm in no particular hurry, I'll wait my turn.

Same here Asp but now if they’re just doing the over eighties, then there’s not going to be many that can’t fit the appointment in with their work. When we get to immunising the working population though, it’ll be important that the places stay open late, although 3am is a bit of a stretch.

I did notice that the walk-in test centres set up in the town yesterday were only open from 12 until 6pm which doesn’t give working people much chance to get to them.  Plus, they're closed all day Sundays which probably would be the best time to get tested before a working week and the most accessible time for everyone. We don't work Sundays shouldn't be the excuse in these times.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

At a time when the big question is how we can possibly vaccinate all these people against covid does it make sense to send out text messages advising anyone who’s not already had their annual flue jab to contact chemists and surgeries to book an appointment. Facebook is full of people complaining that they can’t get through but more importantly they’re jamming the lines to surgeries and chemists. 

Nobody in their right mind would do this given that there’s virtually no flu about and the medics are already working flat out, unless they’re the biggest jobsworths on the planet. My guess is that the texts would have been part of an automated schedule that nobody thought to suspend given the circumstances. And BTW these messages aren't being sent to elderly but to people like Gary.

I’m not sure if this is just the Warrington area or whether it’s right across the country.

Bill 😊

5 hours ago, Bill said:

At a time when the big question is how we can possibly vaccinate all these people against covid does it make sense to send out text messages advising anyone who’s not already had their annual flue jab to contact chemists and surgeries to book an appointment. Facebook is full of people complaining that they can’t get through but more importantly they’re jamming the lines to surgeries and chemists. 

Nobody in their right mind would do this given that there’s virtually no flu about and the medics are already working flat out, unless they’re the biggest jobsworths on the planet. My guess is that the texts would have been part of an automated schedule that nobody thought to suspend given the circumstances. And BTW these messages aren't being sent to elderly but to people like Gary.

I’m not sure if this is just the Warrington area or whether it’s right across the country.

Bill 😊

Free vaccinations for the over 50s is a national programme. To augment the over 65 jabs that are standard for the first time this year. I can only imagine that they are afraid the over 50s may still be susceptible to both covid and flu as the economy reopens and the combination could be more deadly that just covid. It suggests expect a flu season later on but I don't know.

I’ve not seen any official figures, but I’m led to believe that the flu numbers at the moment are almost none existent which isn’t surprising given people are taking all the precautions to prevent the spread of covid.

My point was that given it’s a near impossible task just to do the covid vaccinations, why introduce another unnecessary set of problems. I understand that somewhere there’s a piece of paper setting out what we should be doing, but when were these recommendations made? I suspect stuff like this would have been set out years ago without any insight of the current situation. But surely someone should have had enough common sense to realize the havoc this would cause and put the idea on hold.

Bill 😊

That’s true but at that time we didn’t even know if or when the vaccines would get approval let alone know when we’d be trying to undertake the huge task of mass vaccinations. So it’s as I say that was the plan of what should at the time but pure common sense says that this is the wrong thing to be doing at the moment and should have been put off until we can get all the risky people done.

Bill 😊

Well it seems those hard done by BAME folk are making space for us in the vax queue.   A recent survey suggests that as many as 72% will be refusing the covid vaccine,   some because of superstitious religious belief that the vaccine contains alcohol or non el-hal products;   and we wonder why we have a third world.    :rolleyes:   😷

Obs. The figures on the news that I saw the other day suggested the refusal rate was about 40% for the bame, compared with 20% for the rest of us and that many fake news stories about the vaccine containing cow and or pig materials hadn’t helped.

It might help us lot to get vaccinated that bit quicker if there’s a shortage but it won’t get us out of lockdown any quicker.

Bill 😊