Too god to be true?

Bill

Last week I had an email from my insurance company advising me that I might qualify for a reduction in my premiums if my mileage is much lower than expected due to the virus. I informed them that my car is in storage and this year the total mileage was just less than 300 miles. Amazingly they said that this wouldn’t qualify for any reduction, so it makes me wonder if this was just some advertising ploy.

I suppose they only have to reduce one customers rate in order to be able to claim they are playing the good guys.  

Bill :) 

• Haha 1

noted that one touted on some of the tv adverts.

not had anything from my insurance people apart from revised opening times for claims lines. Mind you they are pretty good. when my previous insurance company's rate per year went up from £450. to £2500 for my car i decided to swap to this one. who is about £500 ish.

my car mileage actually increased between the last two mot's. only by about ten or so miles more. i put that down to running brothers about to broad green hospital for appointments and operations.

getting good petrol use thought two months between fill ups. probably losing more through evaporation than i am using driving.....🤣

When my insurance renewal came I found the premium had gone up quite substantially so I went online and found one a lot cheaper but with better benefits. When I told my original insurer I was not renewing with them they offered to undercut my new insurer!! Always worth shopping around 😉.

To be fair Sid, they did drop the premium by £30 this year to £450 but they did that anyway without asking me anything about the mileage. Because this is just my plaything, the bulk of the miles have been taking it for service, MOTs and the odd spin round the block to stop it from seizing up.

As for not filling up so often, my fuel filler release once seized through lack of use and I couldn’t find the emergency release. I was running on fumes at the time but not too far from home which was fortunate as it took me a couple of days to fix the problem rather and avoid an expensive repair.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

Last week I had an email from my insurance company advising me that I might qualify for a reduction in my premiums if my mileage is much lower than expected due to the virus. I informed them that my car is in storage and this year the total mileage was just less than 300 miles. Amazingly they said that this wouldn’t qualify for any reduction, so it makes me wonder if this was just some advertising ploy.

I suppose they only have to reduce one customers rate in order to be able to claim they are playing the good guys.  

If you read the letter again you may find that you have to put in monthly mileages to claim a reduction. There was small print and it wouldn't pay if less than a certain amount. I didn't qualify either.

I didn't get a letter, it was by email and clearly I didn't read the small print (not that I'd ever tell a lie ;) ) Either way, I wasn't really expecting much as my policy is already a low use one limited to 3K miles. Makes me wonder though if one of these policies where you pay for the miles you drive might work out better although like most other companies, they probably wouldn't cover this car. Surprised to see so many here using E-Sure, they've never been top of this list on the comparison sites for other cars I've had in the  past.

At the risk of getting bombarded with junk emails, I've just punched in my details for comprehensive insurance on my 4.7 litre Maserati on Go Compare.

There were 66 quotes and unbelievably the cheapest was only £252 (quote me happy) and the most expensive £1360. I can't work this out because I'd have thought that a car like this would be really high. E-Sure didn't even come up along with serval others that I'd have normally expected to see but I suppose it depends who's on their lists.

Or maybe they've read my earlier post here and worked out I'm hardly using it :)