Winter Hill Fire

Dizzy

I often go up to Hill Cliffe on sunny day to look at the view which stretches for miles when it's a clear day.  You can easily see Winter Hill from up there too...which is on fire :(  Busy time for the fire service at the moment.....

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gallery/pictures-winter-hill-fire-14843097

I suppose we don't really expect to get the weather to support moorland fires ,even though it happens every few years. If higher temperatures are expected to be the norm during British summers maybe a more effective way of dealing with the fires could be worked on probably a means to smother the fires with special tracked vehicles.

A report on the local news yesterday said that, because it's peat, the fire goes below ground and can burn for a long time. Killing the flames on the surface isn't enough, only prolonged rainfall will do it. I can smell smoke even here in Penketh, and it was clearly visible up to the north after sunset last night.

Funnily enough Davey I was just thinking the same.

You'd think that given most of the grass fires tend be in a line then something that could be rolled out to smother the flames to stop it's spread would be infinatly better than trying to beat it with paddles. I was watching a clip this morning of them doing this and it looked hopeless.

Bill :)

As Asp said; these are deep seated peat fires, which require copious supplies of water to extinguish; just be thankfull, we've not had high winds and according to the Met Office, forecast thunder storms may do the job - but I suppose they'll then be complaining of flooding !

Just watching the footage this morning showing fire fighters working their tails off with beaters but it looked like it was having no affect whatsoever. I think beating paddles might be ok on a regular grass fire but on peat it looked like it might of been making it worse.

It seems odd that despite all our technological achievements, we still deal with this just as we did several centuries ago. Maybe now that I'm retired I could put my mind to developing a solution to this problem and save the world again.

• Upvote 1

Probably have Davy but I think in the case of peat moors, it's still going to be burning deeper down even after the surface flames have been smothered. Lots of water is the obvious answer but when its so remote that's usually in short supply.  I was thinking more along the lines of a machine that could be rolled along with a series of high pressure water spikes creating a relatively thin vertical wet curtain. It wouldn't require anywhere near as much water to very quickly stop the fire spreading and the water that's saved can then be squirted top side for what good that does.

Just trying to get my head round the mechanics of this.

They said that yesterday, keep up. :wink:

I was just thinking that rather than calling in help from the army with their beaters, why not get the local farmers with their tractors.

The tractors can certainly handle the terrain and their crop spraying gear can carry 1000 liters at a time.

Ok you can't force them to do this but I bet if asked they'd do it willingly and wouldn't have as far to travel as the soldiers did.

Of course there's a better way Obs, it's just that nobodies come up with it yet. What's the saying, Necessity is the mother of invention, well there's certainly a big need at the moment and if our "experts" are right about global warming, we may get a lot more of this sort of thing. So until I come up with an earth shattering garden shed solution we'll just have to keep beating it with big sticks or maybe import some rain dancers. :)

Don't get that Asp?   Was he a rain dancer?

Obs
Thirty odd years ago, I started my own business after being told that something was impossible but it turned out it wasn't and that's how I made my millions. (Cough)
I've been semi-retired for a year now and just about running out of challenges. So as yet another saying goes. "It's not being old that stops you doing things, it's stopping doing things that makes you old!" so bear with me if I prattle on a bit more than normal.

Nah. I taught them everything they know about technology while I lived there. :)  Seems back then all the key people in the business were Brits and the Yanks all had masters degrees in BS. They may of gotten a man on the moon but we lost a dog on Mars. :)

Was in California a couple of years back and saw first hand the devastation it caused. In all the time I've spent over there I can't ever recall seeing anything resembling a moor so their forest fires in a mountainous terrain must be one hell of a problem to deal with. In comparison there's make our grass fires look like a little camping accident.

Can't do that Obs. Had a bit of a rough landing on my last base jump and pulled a muscle in my back so I'm taking a bit of a rest hence the flood of posts.

Hey that parking thing was a bit naughty. I've come down from the ceiling now but despite what everyone's saying they'd do, I don't think I like the sound of jail.

No Wine, No women and No Song, that's just too big an ask to stick two fingers up at the council. :)

Edited by Bill
I lied about the Song bit

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Don't get that Asp?   Was he a rain dancer?

The drought of 1976 last through June, July and August. Dennis Howell was a Labour MP (had been Minister of Sport at some stage) who was appointed by the PM (Callaghan I think) as Minister for Drought near the end of August and lo and behold a few days later he was re-appointed Minister for Floods  (I jest, but the heavens opened and the reservoirs were re-filled). And of course at the time the climate experts were saying that this was how our weather would be forever after, droughts all the time, and as we know the experts (definition a has-been drip under pressure - ex-spurt) were wrong as usual. Sometimes we get droughts, sometimes we get floods. Weather.

Oh, and the rain dancer thing - the PM is reported to have told him to do a rain dance. Whether he did or not I've no idea :D.

• 2 months later...

I'm stuck over in Oregon at the moment due to fires on a completley different scale. The main north/south motorway has a 50 mile section thats closed and not expected open for weeks. Theres smoke everywhere with people wearing face masks and lots of stuff geting canceled.

Next stop is Sacromento which should normaly be a five hour drive but looks like it's going to be double that :(

Breakfast time!!!